Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone Question

Options
This forum is costing me more money again.  Thanks to the recent threads, I determined I NEED a blackstone.

The questions is the 28" vs the 36" 

1) It seems like 28" is plenty of cooking surface for my family.  What about the 2 vs 4 burner though.  You are only adding about 25% width to go to the 36", but you are doubling the burners.  Does the 28" cook fairly even or is it worth getting the 36" with 4 burners even though I don't need the space?  It is almost double the price, but I really like the idea of being able to control 4 burners and hopefully getting a lot more consistent heat. 

2)  If taken care of, how long do these things last when stored outside on a covered porch?  I am at least 5-7 years from an outdoor kitchen with a built-in griddle.  Typically, if it is quality and lasts a long time, I end up going with the better, more expensive option.  I am not far from the coast with a lot of heat and humidity, carbon steel does not fare well in my area.  I don't have the option of keeping it in the garage. 

3) This is probably like the BGE where buying it just gets you started.  What other add-ons or accessories are recommend to buy starting out?   Typical cooks would be searing steaks, seafood, burgers, stir-fry/hibachi, and common breakfast foods. 

Thanks for any help.

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

1) It is also deeper, so its a larger cooking area increase than you think.  I would do the math and figure out what you're paying per sq-in.  Then decide how much of a premium you're willing to pay for the extra burners.  20%? 25%? etc.

2) I'm on summer number 3 and I see no evidence of catastrophic wear or rust.  I have a rust trouble spot near the grease trap, but I just sand that down and reseason as needed.

3) You need a spatula and flat top scrapper, a couple of nozzled bottles and a cover.  everything else is optional.  I'd wait until you determine your needs based on your cooking habits.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SurfingEgg321
    Options
    36", better to have the room if you need it. 
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I have a 28 and with the two burners do find I have a couple spots that are different tempatures. But I just move stuff around that are at different levels of “cooked”. As for space the 36 would be nice but I bought 2 28” models when Wal-Mart had them for $99 so I am covered!!! 
    Accesories get yourself two heavy spatulas and a couple done covers ( could even get pot covers at the thrift store). And a scrapper for cleaning. 

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    don't forget a cover from @Tspud1 - even under a covered area, you'll want to keep the dust off of it. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I’m usually in the bigger is better camp, but I found my 28” on sale and couldn’t pass it up. 

Ample space when cooking for the 3 of us or 10. It’s been outside under a covered patio for 2-3 yrs, without any issues. Have never had any issues with heat consistency, etc. in fact, I find it useful to have some cooler spots when cooking. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    The uneven cooking the 28" is what I wanted to avoid.  That is the kind of feedback I am really looking for

I know, always go bigger.  I knew I messed up pretty quick only getting a large egg.  The blackstone will compliment it well though.

Good advice on the cover, I didn't think about dust. 

As far as cool spots, I planned on using 2-3 burners for most cooks, then having a cool zone if needed on one side.  I would prefer the most uniform heat in the cooking area though.  That is why 4 burners seems to be the best. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited May 2018
    Options

I just recently had this debate. I got the 36" Stainless. As others have stated you will appreciate the extra space. Its the wife and 2 Kids and I and the 36" is just enough space. As far as quality, unless you keep it out in the rain and never maintain it I think it could easily last years. Maybe a decade. See below my previous discussions. Also +1 on the Stainless Cover from @Tspud1

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1213022/new-blackstone-griddle-addition#latest

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1212841/blackstone-griddle-size-and-finish#latest

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Also on accessories. I bought the Blackstone Griddle Kit. It comes with 2 Spatulas a scraper and 2 squeeze bottles. The quality is not amazing but they do the job well. I figured it was only like 15 bucks so when they do eventually break I will get some legit nice ones but for now they work well.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @jak7028

I'd go with the 36".  I normally only cook for two, and I wouldn't trade my 36" for anything.  Certain things like fried rice, or a big breakfast can use up the whole space.  

Yes, you'll need a cover if not stored indoors.

Below is a pic I took of my basic accessories.  I do end up using a pot lid more than the melting domes due to size.  All the turners have their purpose, and I chose to go with the Dexter high heat ones.  I've also upgrade the paper towel dispenser to the permanent one in the bottom pic.

The blackstone has been a great purchase.  I still use it multiple times a week several years later.  It's still a lot of fun to cook on.  Have fun with it.

Phoenix 
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    Go big or go home, get the 36".  I also just got a @Tspud1 cover, and my only regret is not getting it sooner.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have a 36". I've never cooked on a 28", so keep that in mind. I looked at them both, side by side, before I bought a 36". I took the cook tops off, played with the controls, checked the construction. I think the 36" is a better product. I paid $249 for it. At $99, the 28" is a great deal, but I think you'll feel the same as you do about your large egg. 

I cook breakfast on it at least once each week for my two teenage sons and myself. Eggs, hash browns, bacon and pancakes will use all of that space.
    I've cooked for just myself and used only the two left burners. 

As for accessories, the Blackstone kit is all you'll need, but I also have a couple melting domes and a bacon press, for smash burgers. I also bought the surround. It's pretty awesome for keeping everything handy, like batter, eggs, plates. 

I hope this helps.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    I have a 28" and I love it.   However it is for sale on Craigslist right now.    Get the 36" and save yourself the trouble of selling the 28" on Craigslist so that you can do what you should have done to begin with...the 36".
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Y'all sold me on the 36" - thanks for all the good advice 
  • Ag83
    Ag83 Posts: 34
    Options
    blasting said:
    @jak7028

I'd go with the 36".  I normally only cook for two, and I wouldn't trade my 36" for anything.  Certain things like fried rice, or a big breakfast can use up the whole space.  

Yes, you'll need a cover if not stored indoors.

Below is a pic I took of my basic accessories.  I do end up using a pot lid more than the melting domes due to size.  All the turners have their purpose, and I chose to go with the Dexter high heat ones.  I've also upgrade the paper towel dispenser to the permanent one in the bottom pic.

The blackstone has been a great purchase.  I still use it multiple times a week several years later.  It's still a lot of fun to cook on.  Have fun with it.

Man I like that paper towel holder. Mind saying where you got it? Just perused Amazon and didn't see one like that.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    After looking at the 36 and 28 and 22, I quickly threw out the 28 and later decided on 22 because I could get 2 for less than the 36 and I can move them or take to other places easily.   I know the 36 has more area but the portability issue was important to me.   I now only have 1 of the 22 in but love  it and think i may get a second later if I need it for the things I cook.   If between 28 and 36 the 36 is the one.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    After looking at the 36 and 28 and 22, I quickly threw out the 28 and later decided on 22 because I could get 2 for less than the 36 and I can move them or take to other places easily.   I know the 36 has more area but the portability issue was important to me.   I now only have 1 of the 22 in but love  it and think i may get a second later if I need it for the things I cook.   If between 28 and 36 the 36 is the one.
    OK - but all of what you said is why I bought the 17" one - but then when I bought the 17" the 22" was just a gleam in the producer's eye! :)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    edited May 2018
    Options

I just recently had this debate. I got the 36" Stainless. As others have stated you will appreciate the extra space. Its the wife and 2 Kids and I and the 36" is just enough space. As far as quality, unless you keep it out in the rain and never maintain it I think it could easily last years. Maybe a decade. See below my previous discussions. Also +1 on the Stainless Cover from @Tspud1

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1213022/new-blackstone-griddle-addition#latest

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1212841/blackstone-griddle-size-and-finish#latest

Hope to add a 36" rail for squirt bottles. My 22" came in today.  I still haven't used my 28" yet 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Ag83 said:
    blasting said:

Man I like that paper towel holder. Mind saying where you got it? Just perused Amazon and didn't see one like that.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015IWYPK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@Ag83

Phoenix 
  • Ag83
    Ag83 Posts: 34
    Options
    blasting said:
    Ag83 said:
    blasting said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015IWYPK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@Ag83

Awesome, thanks. No idea why that didn't pop up in my search.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    How portable is the 28" BS?  Want to buy/take one to the beach for the family reunion.
    Signal Mountain, TN