Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Blackstone Griddle Addition

Options
Just set up the 36” Stainless Blackstone. Also on order is a Stainless Cover from @Tspud1. For now outdoor cooking area complete. Agenda for tomorrow is seasoning the cooktop.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    How do you plan to season it?

Birmingham, AL
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    From what i've read on here, either lard, veg oil, or flax oil. Don't really wanna have to go buy anything so probably just lard. That's what I use to season my cast iron stuff. I plan on putting about 5 coats at least. Probably gonna be a few hour process but will be worth it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    Awesome, you will love it.

Also, every time I see your profile pic I can't help but think, "I could get a good look at a T-Bone by sticking my head up a butcher's ass..."  So many classic lines in that movie.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Yup, also, "Its a pine tree air freshener sir, excellent, you have pinpointed it, step 2 is washing it off"

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I took my orbital sander to both blackstone griddle tops I have before seasoning. ( I bought two 28’s when they were on sale at Walmart for 99$ last year) just seemed to smooth em out a little . 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited April 2018
    Options

I would not suggest flaxseed oil.  For every success with Flaxseed, there is another person who had to strip and start from scratch.

Good old fashioned bacon grease doesn't have the same downside.

Also, congrats on the BS - you'll love it.  Your whole set up looks great.

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    I second the no on flaxseed. Grapeseed oil is a winner. Puts a nice hard dark coating on it. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    that seasoning looks pretty.  you are going to like that thing.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I’m in love and her name is Blackstone Griddle. This thing is awesome, but I gotta solve the grease issue. I thought I was going to get lucky and not get one with the grease problem but alas no dice. Has anyone thought about getting a stainless steel screw to plug the hole? 

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    There is an adapter you can buy on amazon for $15, as well as some other creative options that have been mentioned here in previous posts. 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Btw, nice job on the seasoning. 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    BackyardLifeGear sells a grease slide griddle mod for both the 28" and the 36" models of Blackstones. I bought one and can say it does indeed work! 
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I’m in love and her name is Blackstone Griddle. This thing is awesome, but I gotta solve the grease issue. I thought I was going to get lucky and not get one with the grease problem but alas no dice. Has anyone thought about getting a stainless steel screw to plug the hole? 
    This works.

Not elegant. But won't cost ya much either :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Just got the stainless griddle cover from@Tspud1. Folks this is a quality American Product right here. Thanks again @Tspud1. Box came and was very well packaged. The steel is solid. Perfect fit and finish. Get one folks! Sorry if it looks smudged. I didn’t even bother to make it shiny before checking everything out and got my fingers all over it.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's a good looking setup  

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    My 28" does not have anything to catch grease. Maybe that's why I have never used it.
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I use the can technique pictures above. Always a grease Cather available in the fridge! ;)