Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I might be a redneck

Options
My wife accused me of being a redneck when I suggested this meal.  But She ended up eating like it was the last supper.  Sometimes we overthink things and a simple meal is awesome.  Inspired by a recent post by @gmac (without the family drama) I started a small fire in my new fire pit.

Then I proceeded to get some of my famous secret hot dog chili going on the small BGE.
Then the wife and I proceeded to roast a few hot dogs.

Then I plated - one chili dog, one slaw dog (to cleanse the palette), tater tots and a spicy homemade remaulade sauce.  Served with Pinot Grigio (because it was hot, and I wanted something cold).

All was very tasty - the dog also approved.And for those wanting my secret hot dog chili recipe, here it is.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Very nice. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    Woah. I was skeptical until I saw the Varsity Chili in a can. Had no idea I could buy that! My wife won't touch the Varsity with a 10' pole...too greasy. LOL. Well done. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I can't say the slaw dog appeals to me a lot, but I admit I've never tried one.  Otherwise, it all looks WONDERFUL!

Never had a hot dog at the Varsity, so I don't know what their chili is like.  I've copied down a couple recipes that claim to have cloned it pretty well.  Have you tried any of them?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Redneck? If you were egging squirrel or opossum, then yes. Hotdogs... no. 
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    Slaw Dogs are my favorite! Well Played
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I can't say the slaw dog appeals to me a lot, but I admit I've never tried one.  Otherwise, it all looks WONDERFUL!

Never had a hot dog at the Varsity, so I don't know what their chili is like.  I've copied down a couple recipes that claim to have cloned it pretty well.  Have you tried any of them?
    No  - I have no recipes - I went to college a block away from the 'V'.  I'll enjoy some of that chili every once in a while - but not something I care for often. OD'd on it while in school,  but this was a fun meal -  brought back great memories from when my wife and I first dated in 1984 at Ga Tech

BTW - still in love and married to that woman after all these years 

Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Focker said:
    Redneck?
    If anything, the garnished tots and pinot take the snobbery to another class my friend.  Hold that nose high my friend, it looks good.  ;)  
    Thanks my friend .  I just did the garnish for the pic  ( but for the record, the parsley did come from my garden) egg on all,!
    Memphis, TN 

• Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Looks good , as for the Varsity chili, hell yes ! Eating Varsity food is sometimes referred to as  " a coke and an oil change" !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Yes, that’s redneck alright. Anyone with class knows that a Shiraz or Zinfandel pairs with a chili dog and a dry rose’ pairs with a slaw dog. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great job.  I wouldn't turn that down!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Woah. I was skeptical until I saw the Varsity Chili in a can. Had no idea I could buy that! My wife won't touch the Varsity with a 10' pole...too greasy. LOL. Well done. 

I would trade her in for sure. No need for that kind of negativity in your life!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    Redneck? If you were egging squirrel or opossum, then yes. Hotdogs... no. 
    I think you mean tree rats.  Tree rats and fancy wine is redneck.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    I think he just called all of us rednecks  ;)
    Jacksonville FL
  • AintEZbeingme
    AintEZbeingme Posts: 177
    Options
    +1 on  the center split buns
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Had me going on the chili.....You sir had a great evening.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2018
    Options
    So, did the chili taste like you remember it? Just as greasy?

EDIT: I just checked the varsity web site and a can of this stuff is only $4.19. Unless you want it shipped to CT! UPS Ground, $14... 2nd Day, $25... Next Day, $62!! I've made Chuck Lane's copycat recipe before (as posted by @RRP) and it's pretty good. I also have Pink's recipe (equally legendary in LA). Also good, actually better IMO. Think I'll stick with those!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    So, did the chili taste like you remember it? Just as greasy?

EDIT: I just checked the varsity web site and a can of this stuff is only $4.19. Unless you want it shipped to CT! UPS Ground, $14... 2nd Day, $25... Next Day, $62!! I've made Chuck Lane's copycat recipe before (as posted by @RRP) and it's pretty good. I also have Pink's recipe (equally legendary in LA). Also good, actually better IMO. Think I'll stick with those!
    Yes - it tastes just as greasy as the stuff at the V. :s:s:s:s  I don't think it is worth the shipping cost.  I purchased a few cans last time I was in Atlanta.  
    Memphis, TN 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    That's not redneck.  That's campfire gourmet.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Last year's redneck is this year's hipster.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Don’t look like no redneck digs I ever seen. Quite nice!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    okay, so the best dog is:
    dog
    mustard
    onions
    chili
    coleslaw (creamy style) or grated sharp cheddar cheese 

Never coleslaw and cheddar cheese together. 

I do like a dog with mustard, onion and chopped fresh tomatoes 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Swap the Pinot for Boone's Farm, or better yet some "homemade wine".  Chop up some herbs from the yard, that would be classified as "redneck".
    https://youtu.be/3cQNkIrg-Tk
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:
    Swap the Pinot for Boone's Farm, chop up some herbs from the yard, that would be classified as "redneck".
    Old truck rim in lieu of classy fire bowl. 
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    Tater tots are one of my favorite foods.  Somehow I didn't realize until about a year ago, and now I ask my wife if we can have them with about every other meal.

I think it looks like a great meal!
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Focker said:
    Swap the Pinot for Boone's Farm, or better yet some "homemade wine".  Chop up some herbs from the yard, that would be classified as "redneck".
    https://youtu.be/3cQNkIrg-Tk
    Thanks for the post - Great song
    Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Tater tots are one of my favorite foods.  Somehow I didn't realize until about a year ago, and now I ask my wife if we can have them with about every other meal.

I think it looks like a great meal!
    Agreed - tots are awesome - these were my wife’s addition to the meal.  The funny thing is that she went to Cordon Bleu in London many years ago.  She can cook great potato’s, eggs and calf brain. But damn, don’t let her near a chicken, pork or steak - she must have been hung over during those classes.
    Memphis, TN 

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009