Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try on the egg

Options
KGilma2018
KGilma2018 Posts: 120
I used my Egg for the first time last night.  I decided to roast a whole chicken because the manual said to keep it under 350 F.  I let it warm up for about an hour and half while I played with the vents.  I got it stabilized right at 350 and put the chicken on.  45 Min I stuck the meat thermometer in it was about 120F.  Here is the mistake I made, at 145F I opened and put some asparagus on tin foil in with it figuring I had about 15 min left.  The temp dropped to 300 and wouldn't move, so I bumped the vent open a little.  Which in turn added some smoke flavor to the asparagus which I didn't care for.  I realized afterwards what happened.  I was using the conveggtor and the tin foil the asparagus was on was blocking the air flow on one side.  Lesson learned.  As for the chicken, it came out perfect, even though it took a little longer than it should have.  I did a simple brine overnight, and found a rub recipe on the internet.  Though, I didn't particularly care for the rub.
Franklin, TN

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Great looking chix.  
    Make sure your dome thermo is calibrated.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Welcome. Chicken is usually best at 400F. At that temp, you are generally a shade over an hour on cook time. Asparagus cooks quickly. I put it on once the meat is off the egg and resting. 

Let us know if we can help you shorten the learning curve. 
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Great looking chix.  
    Make sure your dome thermo is calibrated.  
    I checked the dome thermo with boiling water, it was dead on.  
    Franklin, TN
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    Welcome. Chicken is usually best at 400F. At that temp, you are generally a shade over an hour on cook time. Asparagus cooks quickly. I put it on once the meat is off the egg and resting. 

Let us know if we can help you shorten the learning curve. 

Thanks, I was just going by what I bake chicken at in the oven.

Franklin, TN
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I use Grill Mats for Asparagus indirect work great.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    WELCOME, and congratulations on a good first cook!  I am sure you will have many many more wonderful experiences.  I never LOVED grilling until I got a Big Green Egg, and I think you're in for a great time!
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    Thanks.  Now a question about the "few" first cooks under 350.  I ended up having it cooking for about 3.5 hours because my fiance ETA back home from shopping changed (go figure!).  I don't mind having to do a few more low cooks, I've got some ribs in the freezer that are calling my name but I've some steaks I'd like to sear off too!  How many cooks do I need really need to do under 350?
    Franklin, TN
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Thanks.  Now a question about the "few" first cooks under 350.  I ended up having it cooking for about 3.5 hours because my fiance ETA back home from shopping changed (go figure!).  I don't mind having to do a few more low cooks, I've got some ribs in the freezer that are calling my name but I've some steaks I'd like to sear off too!  How many cooks do I need really need to do under 350?

I wouldn't worry about it anymore. The main reason for this is to ensure that the gasket has sealed properly. Fire away and cook some steaks or pizzas at 600. I did after owning the egg 1 week.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I do plenty of beef, pork, etc., with sub 350F temps, until they get to a certain IT, then I jack the temp up for final cook and sear. Turns out great 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Hey Welcome, like @TEXASBGE2018 go for it now.  Chicken looks great, looking forward to more Q pics.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA