Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon News

Options

Comments

• Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Stubby said:
    Tellimoredew is my go to Irish wiskey.. nice smooth and doesn't hit the wallet to hard
    @Stubby

During our last trip to Ireland we stayed in the town where it was made. I liked it. We still get a bottle from time to time, worth every penny.
    @YukonRon

I would live to go to Ireland and see all the distilleries... One of my favorites for sure.. I also like pappy van winkle too.. that was the smothest i have ever had..

XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @Stubby - you likely have a better chance of finding PVW in Ireland that you do here any more.  Such is the continuing rise of bourbon popularity, world-wide.    
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    In whiskey,  as well as all spirits, smoothness is derived from the number of times distilled (runs, I believe they call it of the distillation process), combined with age in the barrel. The longer it sits, the more the process of evaporation occurs (angel's share) and the longer the charcoal inside the barrels have to help mellow what is left of the recipe.

Pappy stands on its own.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    I saw this and thought I would share with those wishing to do the bourbon trail:
    https://roadtrippers.com/trips/10427572
    Will you please stop saying anything about bourbon (or alcohol).  I'm on video sleeping at BBIII  - due to slushies - and now your latest scribe has cost me $60.00 for the two bottles mentioned above.  They're about half full now and just got them Monday.  @t@The_Stache and @k@Killit_and_Grillit can attest to my impulsiveness but this was too good to pass up.  Now you're talking Bourbon Trail - when will it end?
    Well, at least I will get you folks to Louisville.
    Not to worry Ron....he just purchased an XL egg. You can’t hide money.
    Did he get it home? I am thinking he is going to pull one of those 20# SRF Gold briskets out of his walk-in freezer, at his palatial estate, and that will be his first cook on the XL.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Bourbon style whiskey, 100% corn by local distiller, Okanagan Spirits. At $45US a bottle it is not cheap, but relative to other whiskey available thru our Government liquor outlets, it is a very nice pour. 
    Since Xmas, it has become a favourite - you get $4 for returning the bottle, first time I’ve seen that. I’m close to $16 off my next purchase!

@Stubby Tullamore Dew is my choice for Irish, been a favourite for yers. The Owner Grants. Also makes some nice single malts. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Are we calling Makers Mark a premium price Bourbon? I’ve always considered it a top shelf Bourbon at a bargain price. My Costco has a 1.75 liter for $42 bucks. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Are we calling Makers Mark a premium price Bourbon? I’ve always considered it a top shelf Bourbon at a bargain price. My Costco has a 1.75 liter for $42 bucks. 
    Let us just say it is considered by most a top shelf pour. Compared to the early stages of bourbon, from where the industry started, it was premium, at the time. I have found, while traveling abroad, the respect is as genuine as it is high.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SRF brisket and Bourbon.
    Enough said.
    That is all.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @YukonRon - what happened to the wine??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    There are lots of words here in this thread.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Emptied a bottle of hancock reserve last night. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon - what happened to the wine??
    We made a batch of Slushies to serve with dinner tonight, using Maker's for our friends, since he is doing work for the Samuels.
    The brisket came out Stellar, the cow begrudgingly gave in after a 15 hour cook on an 11.1 pounder of SRF Black @195F IT.
    After dinner, though, I broke out a Bordeaux that finished the evening. 
    Bourbon caves are a thing now, it seems, according to our guests. He is going to be extremely busy in the coming years, right on up to retirement with the projects.
    It was interesting to learn the impact of global warming on storage, but it makes sense.
    It appears there is no problem with the Angel's getting their share, however, keeping the loss in the hotter months to a "typical" number has been harder to do, and losing an extra 10-15% effects the bottom line, especially with the tax burden bourbon is impacted with.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    edited May 2018
    Options
    DMW said:
    There are lots of words here in this thread.
    Yeah, sorry. It is the result of the consumption of slushies while keeping a watchful eye on a brisket cook. 
    I will try to be a bit more reserved in the posts.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Emptied a bottle of hancock reserve last night. 
    You are on a roll.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    I saw this and thought I would share with those wishing to do the bourbon trail:
    https://roadtrippers.com/trips/10427572
    Will you please stop saying anything about bourbon (or alcohol).  I'm on video sleeping at BBIII  - due to slushies - and now your latest scribe has cost me $60.00 for the two bottles mentioned above.  They're about half full now and just got them Monday.  @t@The_Stache and @Killit_and_Grillit can attest to my impulsiveness but this was too good to pass up.  Now you're talking Bourbon Trail - when will it end?
    Well, at least I will get you folks to Louisville.
    Not to worry Ron....he just purchased an XL egg. You can’t hide money.
    Did he get it home? I am thinking he is going to pull one of those 20# SRF Gold briskets out of his walk-in freezer, at his palatial estate, and that will be his first cook on the XL.
    The reason for the XL egg was that I'm too poor after buying the bourbon and wine (from costco) that Ron encourages on here.  That's actually his real job - how do you think he's able to travel to all those exotic places he goes to?
    You know I really wanted the XXL - but had to dial it back a lot.
    Now I can't even afford a Sams brisket.
    There is a palatial estate not far from me, but none on my street. (although everything is relative, of course)
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• YukonRon
    Options
    The real bourbon expert^^^^^^^

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    Found this stuff at Total Wine here. Wife should be happy when I bring home $100 worth. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    Found this stuff at Total Wine here. Wife should be happy when I bring home $100 worth. 
    Happy wife. Happy life. Tell her you could double should it make her happier.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    FrostyEgg said:
    I'm strategically driving to work tomorrow so I can hit Total Wine on the way home. Wish me luck.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    YukonRon said:
    FrostyEgg said:
    I'm strategically driving to work tomorrow so I can hit Total Wine on the way home. Wish me luck.
    Use the Force.....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    On my way!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Nice!!!!!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    PSA
    Bourbon has no carbohydrates.
    Healthy options  =)

Jacksonville FL
  • YukonRon
    Options
    My BIL quit drinking beer, for that very reason. Started drinking Whiskey to lower his blood sugar. Did not work out very well.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Blood sugar is fine, just trying to drop a few pounds. Slippery slope though. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Blood sugar is fine, just trying to drop a few pounds. Slippery slope though. 
    Best of luck....We all keep trying, then a brisket shows up....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky