Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sourdough on the egg...embarrassed

TEXASBGE2018
TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
edited May 2018 in EggHead Forum
Well I tried baking a sourdough loaf in the egg for the 1st time. It tasted pretty good but I’m too embarrassed to post pics. The question that I have is how do you get the crust crisp. Mine was soft like a loaf of sandwich bread. Also it was pretty dense. I will admit that I used a sourdough bread kit not everything from scratch which I know would result in much better results. I’m wanting to start making it and don’t mind making everything from scratch. What are the keys to that classic crackled crust and airy texture? Do you typically cook at 400 or so?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    High heat and steam at the start of the bake help with the crust.  Any dairy in the dough promote soft crust.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    I suggest you go to the Baking site for some good threads on baking bread.  Here's a informative thread:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1206737/wild-yeast#latest

Several of of the contributors of this thread have excellent results using a Dutch oven when baking Artisan bread. As do I.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Welcome to the Bread Fray!!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    I bake bread inside an inverted Dutch oven in the Egg. Could be deemed to be cheating, but meh it works. Details in the blog posts below:

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/08/18/crusty-artisan-bread/

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/10/20/inverted-dutch-oven-bread/

The recipe uses commercial yeast, but the same principles apply to sourdough. Results look like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Get a lodge 5qt double dutch oven.  Your bread will become sublime
    Fourneau is a good bread making tool as well
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited May 2018
    I have a Cloche but prefer the Dutch oven
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    pan down low over lump, stone high in the dome. add dough, pour a quarter cup water into pan.  has worked for me making bread bowls
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I use the Dutch oven as well.  Although I bake bread in the kitchen oven, not the egg.  I like having the bread cooking aroma in the house.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I do have a several Cast iron dutch ovens. I'll try that next time. I'm also going to make my own sourdough starter here shortly. I have a question about that as well. For any given recipe I may find if it mentions say grams or tsp's of Active Dry yeast. Would I use the equivalent amount of liquid sourdough starter? So for example if i'm supposed to use say 1/4 tsp of active dry yeast would I use the same liquid starter?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Active dry yeast has kajillions more yeasties in it than starter does, so you typically need much more starter to bake with in a reasonable time frame. 

But if you’re looking for sourdough recipes, they should tell you how much starter to use, and you don’t have to worry about converting. 

Pour yourself a beverage (or more) and check out the Wild Yeast thread linked above. A lot of good info in there, and most of your questions have likely already been answered. 

And dont forget to post pics of your loaves! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    ... For any given recipe I may find if it mentions say grams or tsp's of Active Dry yeast. Would I use the equivalent amount of liquid sourdough starter? So for example if i'm supposed to use say 1/4 tsp of active dry yeast would I use the same liquid starter?
    No.  No.

There are lots of bread recipes designed for using sourdough starter - use them.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Keep in mind sourdough bread is just a style of bread made from a starter. Using a starter does not mean the bread you make will be like what most people consider San Francisco style sourdough. 

Definitely give it a try. It’s a lot of fun and not hard to make awesome bread at home. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle