Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jimmy Buffett Day

My buddy and I started a tradition like 15 years ago called “Jimmy Buffett Day”

First day of the year when the weather is perfect (preferably on a work day) and we quit work early, pour drinks, throw “crappy bar food” on the grill and sit by the pool listening to beach music. 

Yesterday was 2018 Buffett Day. More kids and no more pool (and not as chemically altered like when we were in college)...but the beer was cold, the shoes were off, and the grill was hot.

Bacon wrapped hot dogs with roasted poblanos, avocado, tomato, cilantro, and avocado crema  

Served with bean dip and Mexican Street corn. And over priced beach beer.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Love it.  Great food, and a good made up Holiday.  Would have liked to be a parrot head with you.

Phoenix 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Now that's living right there! What a cool tradition. Can't beat family, friends, and food

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Coulda had a spontaneous following had you alerted even as late as yesterday-but gotta wait and be selfish about it.  ;)  No pressure for next year.
    Great idea, groceries  and execution.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Wow.....what kind of Patriot Head doesn't have cheeseburgers with Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes......?

Never mind....ones from Tennessee I guess.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    ....but your feast does look mighty tasty.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Wow.....what kind of Patriot Head doesn't have cheeseburgers with Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes......?

lol Patriot.  You're right though Robin - the menu is kinda spelled out in the song.

Phoenix 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Don’t let Robin still bitter get to you. He’s still bitter over his flag. Fins up. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Nice feast. I try to change my latitude every day.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Wow.....what kind of Patriot Head doesn't have cheeseburgers with Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes......?

Never mind....ones from Tennessee I guess.
    @northGAcock since it was Jayne's first time to celebrate I let her pick what we were going to eat. 

In retrospect I probably shouldn't have asked her 3 feet from the hot dogs while standing in the grocery. 

@lousubcap that's the beauty of Buffett day. Someone just picks up the phone and declares it, and then it's just happening. Gotta stay frosty!

@Jeremiah I'd probably still be a little salty over it. That man has an unhealthy relationship with that flag.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    I'm not sure that qualifies as "crappy bar food". What a great tradition. Sounds like a blast.
    Stillwater, MN
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Gotta play this tune on Buffett Day;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqjQu0KzvA0
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    He's a super nice guy in person.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    If that's crappy bar food to you, then I'd hate to show you what I've eaten...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• If that's crappy bar food to you, then I'd hate to show you what I've eaten...
    @saluki2007 @StillH2OEggerhence the " ". I assure you when we started this tradition we were most likely cooking frozen hamburger patties on a Weber with duct tape holding the legs together. 

Quality of life has changed drastically since then  ;)

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    blasting said:

lol Patriot.  You're right though Robin - the menu is kinda spelled out in the song.

D@mn spell check.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Post it on here next time and many of us can celebrate remotely!  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    This place is always margaritaville for some reason.
    Nice move, wearing a pink crustacean?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Farkin' awesome. That's a tradition I could get behind.

And look at you being all healthy and shite with them wheat buns :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Love it Adam.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Little bummed more parrotheads haven’t stepped up. Where the Egghead phlock?!?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    My wife & I went to a Jimmy Buffett concert for our first date.  19 years later we are still in love and still love Jimmy. 
    XL  Central Ohio
  • Jeremiah said:
    Little bummed more parrotheads haven’t stepped up. Where the Egghead phlock?!?
    @Jeremiah maybe @thetrim should host Jimmy Buffett Day next year down in FL. 

@YukonRon every year it’s something different. Always no stress cooks. If we went by the letter of the law we would have $300 of food and die of alcohol poisoning in an alley according to The Buffett soundtrack

South of Nashville, TN