Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Advice Between Closed and Open For Egg

Hey Guys, 

I am in the final steps of having my outdoor kitchen built, they are starting to build the structure this week for the grill, egg, drawers, fridge etc. I am still at the point where I can customize how the egg will sit in the counter. 

I have a large egg, I have been googling pictures for ideas and it seems to be a mix of people having their eggs with the counter surrounding the top and then also people having the egg fully exposed. I am assuming having the counter around the top of the egg is a lot more secure? Is that the logic behind that do you think? Or is it an aesthetic thing? 

I am of two minds of what to do, I prefer it sitting without the counter. But I have kids and think the other way is a lot safer by the looks of it

Also does anyone have any specs of how much clearance I need at the back, sides etc. I read that I should have a little bit of clearance at the bottom of the egg, but I haven't been able to find much about it..

I want to make sure I am doing this right!! 

Thanks for all the help!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    the egg is very stable on its own. open front makes it easier to move in and out of the table, some of us travel with the egg.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    I would think without the counter would make it easer to upgrade to an XL or XXL, or to 'repurpose' the space for a Blackstone or different unit. More flexibility, no real downside.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    I have my egg "open " in kitchen area. Egg platform is 16 " high, 24" wide , and 34" deep.  I have extra depth because of a raised backslpashbehind the egg, and needed clearance for the dome in the open position.
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    If needed, how would you get the egg out for any type of service if fully enclosed ? 
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    edited May 2018
    I personally prefer it enclosed. I like the area next to it for setting utensils, etc. I like the idea that it's seemingly more secure. We have high windstorms here and I never have to worry about it being blown over. I mostly just prefer the look of it better.
    In all my years of owning it (27), the only time I ever needed to remove it was to transfer it to a new table. At that point, I just remove the lid and lift out the bottom. It's not that heavy that I can't do it by myself.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    If needed, how would you get the egg out for any type of service if fully enclosed ? 
    Youd have to take it apart piece by piece and lift it out of there.
    Mountain View, CA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831

If I were you I would leave it on an open shelf like the top Picture, I would also make the space larger to allow for a potential larger egg later but that's just me. See these examples.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1202906/new-outdoor-kitchen-covered-patio-w-pics/p1

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1153984/new-outdoor-kitchen-room-for-2nd-egg

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• drew051
    drew051 Posts: 9
    Thanks for the help guys

I have been reading that I should get the nest from BGE, it looks like it makes it sit up slightly. Do you think it will mess with balance?
  • kingsmoke
    Assuming your platform is flat, you will have no problems. I also sent you a pm with some other information
    Grand Rapids , Mi
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    The table nest is more unstable than sitting on flat stone.  If using a table nest, I would definitely have a counter completely surrounding the egg.

The primary purpose of the table nest is to provide an air gap below the egg as a fire safety measure.  You do not want the egg in direct contact with flammable surfaces.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    edited May 2018
    Thanks @TEXASBGE2018 for referencing my kitchen post!  To the OP, I'd say it is mostly an aesthetic choice, except for the ease of installing and removing.  Also, as @TEXASBGE2018 points out, it leaves room for flexibility in size in the future.  Since I had an XL, I wanted to allow flexibility for a future owner to put whatever they wanted in that space without being tied to an XL BGE counter top hole.  Definitely get the table nest.  And don't worry about the egg falling over or moving, these suckers don't budge without a lot of force.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • drew051
    drew051 Posts: 9
    I have had my large egg for a long time and had not thought about the potential upgrade(now I am!) 

I am going to go to my dealer hopefully today and take a look at an XL. Does the XL have a wider base?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    If you like the open concept but want security, buy a nest (new/used) and modify it to fit your space. (Cut the legs off etc) The “arms” will hold it in place better than a table nest. You could even bolt the modified nest to your new island for even more security. 
  • jtcBoynton
    Thanks @TEXASBGE2018 for referencing my kitchen post!  To the OP, I'd say it is mostly an aesthetic choice, except for the ease of installing and removing.  Also, as @TEXASBGE2018 points out, it leaves room for flexibility in size in the future.  Since I had an XL, I wanted to allow flexibility for a future owner to put whatever they wanted in that space without being tied to an XL BGE counter top hole.  Definitely get the table nest.  And don't worry about the egg falling over or moving, these suckers don't budge without a lot of force.
    The XL may not move around, but a large sitting on a table nest does move quite a bit.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jtcBoynton
    There is another option besides the open space or counter top with cutout.  A metal bar across the front (removable) can provide security from tipping and still allow for easy changing to another size.  I can't remember exactly when, but this was discussed before and there are pictures on the forum of a setup like this.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• kingsmoke
    The XL may not move around, but a large sitting on a table nest does move quite a bit.
    I have a large in a nest ( rubber  feet on granite) , it doesn't move without quite a bit of effort 
    Grand Rapids , Mi
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    drew051 said:
    I have had my large egg for a long time and had not thought about the potential upgrade(now I am!) 

I am going to go to my dealer hopefully today and take a look at an XL. Does the XL have a wider base?
    Yes, @drew051, the XL has a wider base - although I'm not sure of the exact measurement at the level of the base.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jtcBoynton
    kingsmoke said:
    I have a large in a nest ( rubber  feet on granite) , it doesn't move without quite a bit of effort 
    The nest stays put but the egg slides around on the nest.  The folks at BGE do caution: "CAUTION: The metal Table Nest must be used in conjunction with a tablecustom island or built-in surround. Not for use as a free-standing support for your EGG."
    Southeast Florida - LBGE