Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Tricolor Scallop Terrine with Basil, Corn and Red Pepper

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
I didn't make this in the Egg, which is why I marked it Off Topic, but it certainly could be made in the Egg.  For Mother's Day I made my wife a terrine of scallops, pureed in a food processor with salt and white pepper, cream, and separately in each of 3 layers, basil, corn and roasted red peppers, baked in a pan with water, chilled, and served with saffron mayonnaise.  I don't usually make fancy dishes, and I was so proud of it I couldn't help sharing:

It was a bit rich for a main course, probably would have been a better first course with a rather simple main course to follow, but still, it was good, and a lot of fun.  I don't usually make stuff like this.

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Theophan this looks fantastic. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I like this! A unique cook. I bet she enjoyed it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Wowzer that is fancy! Nice work!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Wow. That has special occasion written all over it. Very cool.
    Stillwater, MN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That is exactly why you need to invite me to dinner. Awesome!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    that's food art right there. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Theophan
    Options
    Many thanks to all!  It was a very different kind of dish, for me, but it was fun, and my wife seemed to like it a lot.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    That looks awesome...great presentation.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Wonderful looking! Where did you get the idea for that? I don't believe I've ever seen anything like it.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautiful plate brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Theophan
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Wonderful looking! Where did you get the idea for that? I don't believe I've ever seen anything like it.
    Oh, I didn't invent it myself.  I was a devoted and happy subscriber to Gourmet magazine from sometime in the early '70s until its sad demise in 2009.  I don't have most of them, anymore, but I ripped out many pages with recipes and articles I wanted to keep, and this was one of those recipes.  This recipe was published in the August issue in 1988 -- I'd been wanting to make it ever since, finally did.  :)
  • Egghead_Ty
    Egghead_Ty Posts: 41
    Options
    Those look cool!...And delicious.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
    Options
    That looks amazing. Any chance of a copy/screenshot of the recipe? SWMBO would love it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Theophan
    Options
    That looks amazing. Any chance of a copy/screenshot of the recipe? SWMBO would love it.

Here it is:

Tricolor Scallop Terrine with Basil, Corn, and Red Pepper
    Source: Gourmet August 1988 

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves, washed well and drained, plus 4 small basil sprigs for garnish if desired
    1 pound sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    white pepper to taste
    1 1/3 cups well chilled heavy cream
    1/3 cup cooked fresh corn kernels (cut from about 1 ear of corn) or thawed frozen
    1/4 cup drained bottled roasted red pepper, patted dry well on paper towels
    4 small soft-leafed lettuce leaves for garnish if desired
    saffron mayonnaise (recipe follows) as an accompaniment 

Saffron Mayonnaise:
    a pinch of saffron threads, crumbled
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice. or to taste
    1/2 cup bottled mayonnaise

DIRECTIONS:

BASIL MIXTURE:
    In a small saucepan steam the basil leaves in the water clinging to them, covered, over moderately high heat for 1 to 2 minutes, or until they are just wilted. Drain the basil in a sieve, rinse it under cold water, and drain it well. Squeeze the basil dry. 

Discard the tough bit of muscle clinging to the side of each scallop if necessary and in a food processor puree one third of the scallops with the basil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and some of the white pepper. With the motor running add 1/2 cup of the cream and blend the mixture well. Transfer the basil mixture to a small bowl and chill it, covered, while making the corn and red pepper mixtures. 

CORN MIXTURE:
    In the food processor, cleaned, puree the corn with half the remaining scallops, 1/4 teaspoon of the remaining salt, and some of the white pepper, with the motor running add 1/2 cup of the remaining cream, and blend the mixture well. Transfer the corn mixture to another small bowl and chill it, covered, while making the red pepper mixture. 

RED PEPPER MIXTURE:
    In the food processor, cleaned, puree the red pepper with the remaining scallops, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and some of the white pepper, with the motor running add the remaining 1/3 cup cream, and blend the mixture well. 

SAFFRON MAYONNAISE:
    In a small bowl combine the saffron and the lemon juice and let the mixture stand, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add the mayonnaise and blend the mixture well. makes about 1/2 cup.

TERRINE:
    In a buttered loaf pan, 8 by 4 by 2 3/4 inches, spread the basil mixture in an even layer, top it with the corn mixture, spreading the corn mixture in an even layer, and cover the corn mixture with the red pepper mixture, spreading the red pepper mixture in an even layer. Cover the surface with buttered wax paper and cover the pan with foil. Set the pan in a larger baking pan, add enough hot water to the baking pan to come one fourth of the way up the sides of the loaf pan, and bake the terrine in the middle of a preheated 375 F. oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until it is firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean. 

Transfer the loaf pan to a rack, remove the foil, and let the terrine cool. Remove the paper, invert a platter over the loaf pan, and invert the terrine onto it. Pour off any liquid and chill the terrine, covered with plastic wrap, for at least 2 hours or overnight. The terrine may he made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled. 

Cut twelve 1/2-inch-thick slices from the terrine and arrange 3 slices decoratively on each of 4 plates. Arrange 1 lettuce leaf in the center of each plate, spoon some of the saffron mayonnaise into each leaf, and garnish the mayonnaise with the basil sprigs. Serves 4 with leftovers.
    I didn't have a loaf pan exactly that size, used one slightly smaller, so it was a little taller in the pan, and it took longer to bake.  After 35 minutes, the top still was too liquid.  I used my Thermapen, and I think I cooked it till it was all at least 135°.  (FDA wants 145°, by the way.)

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Dayumn!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
    Options
    @Theophan cheers, added to our Trello board of things to cook.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk