Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanna know the secrete to making silky smooth cheese sauces?

Options
I don’t know about you, but making a cheese sauce that was not grainy and still had a nice bold cheese taste always eluded me.  No matter what I tried, it just never came out right. I had picked up some awesomely big baking potatoes to go with a smoke I was planning and I wanted a loaded, cheesy potato to go with it.

Every once and a while I would search that thing called the internets for hints and tricks but none really worked.... until last night.

I finally ran across a post that suggested using sodium citrate, a natural salt of citric acid, to get the job done.  In the world of molecular gastronomy, sodium citrate is used as an emulsifier, calcium sequestrant, and as a preservative.  So I took a chance and ordered me some from America’s pantry, you know - Amazon, and put it to work.  Well whadda you know, the dang stuff works!  Just using the sodium citrate, a bit of water, milk and cheese I was able to make the smoothest, meltiest cheese sauce EVER!  I still need to play with the ratios a bit to get it to a consistency I like, but it was a total success.

You can find all the details in the article on the Modernist Cuisine web site - http://http//modernistcuisine.com/recipes/melty-queso-dip/

Use the ratios listed there as a guide and go from there. I used a 50/50 mix of freshly grated American and mild cheddar cheeses, cayenne pepper, a bit of water to dissolve the sodium citrate in, and milk to make up the rest.  The liquid was 80% of the cheese by weight.  While it was a bit too runny the taste was spot on to that of a mild nacho cheese sauce. I wound up adding more shredded cheddar to thicken things up a bit so next time I’m going to cut the liquid from 80% to 60%.  Basically what you get is a velveeta like product without all the extra “stuff” in it.  The added kicker is that you can alter the taste to your liking by using whatever cheese (or cheeses) you want and you can make it to the consistency you wish. 
Southwestern CT

Comments

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Yep. Used sodium citrate many times . Smoked gouda mac n cheee is a hig everytime i make it
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Nice post. thanks for sharing
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Yes. It's very handy stuff to have around.

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've always started with a bechamel then add cheese.  Never knew about using sodium citrate till now.  Thanks for the info.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great info. Thanks for sharing!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I've always started with a bechamel then add cheese.  Never knew about using sodium citrate till now.  Thanks for the info.

Me too.  Make a roux, then add beer, then  a can of 2% evaporated milk before adding the rest of the milk and cheese.......that's always worked for me.  Will try this other method though!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    is the link working for every one.  i do roux, chicken stock milk and cheese for scalloped taters but the regular cheese sauce never really spoke to me til i started adding gorganzola to the mix for mac and cheese. will try this sodium citric soon
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    is the link working for every one.  i do roux, chicken stock milk and cheese for scalloped taters but the regular cheese sauce never really spoke to me til i started adding gorganzola to the mix for mac and cheese. will try this sodium citric soon
    Included link is broken.  Here you go:  http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/melty-queso-dip/

NOLA
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    Options
    Yep - this is a totally MONEY technique. 

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Included link is broken.  Here you go:  http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/melty-queso-dip/

thanks for the link. now just have to figure out the recipe. looks like pound of cheese, a beer less a sip, and teaspoon magic salt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I'm skipping the secrete in my cheese sauce.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I'm skipping the secrete in my cheese sauce.
    Not sure what this means but it sounds disgusting.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    amazon sales of sodium citrate just went up
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Link wouldn't work for me, but a little Google action and found it.  

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/melty-queso-dip/

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options

This is what I do,comes out silky smooth---you've got to not give up on it and keep stirring to a sauce consistency ...but I will give this a try
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    poster said:
    I bought some.
    NOLA
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    Sorry for the bad link... me thinks it got messed up when I was editing before posting.  That double http is a killer! @buzd504 thanks for posting a working one... :blush:
    Southwestern CT
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    lkapigian said:

This is what I do,comes out silky smooth---you've got to not give up on it and keep stirring to a sauce consistency ...but I will give this a try
    In my limited experience, that seemed to work until I added a bit too much cheese, then the whole thing broke. I don’t think I’ve ever taken a béchamel sauce upwards of  65% cheese content by weight with out it breaking on me. 
    Southwestern CT
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:

In my limited experience, that seemed to work until I added a bit too much cheese, then the whole thing broke. I don’t think I’ve ever taken a béchamel sauce upwards of  65% cheese content by weight with out it breaking on me. 
    I will add 3 pounds cheese to 2 pounds ( 4 cups ) heavy cream,that's about 67 %  it seemed that it was all apart till I learned to just keep at it and stirred till it was smooth as silk,,,I am going to try the what you mentioned to see if it gets it over the hump quicker
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Me too, thanks
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • poster
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    poster said:
    I bought some.
    Me too, and paid 3 times as much on amazon.ca
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    poster said:
    buzd504 said:
    poster said:
    I bought some.
    Glad I live close to the border. Amazon.com is under $10US, while Amazon.ca is just under $27CDN. 

The other MCAH must have is Xanthan Gum. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • poster
    Options
    poster said:
    buzd504 said:
    poster said:
    I bought some.
    Glad I live close to the border. Amazon.com is under $10US, while Amazon.ca is just under $27CDN. 

Lol, yup and another $12 shipping. I live fairly close too, but couldn't justify a 45 minute drive for it. Then again if i went on empty and brought a couple 5 gal cans it would have been. I was able to find the xanthan gum for a reasonable price to my door
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    poster said:
    buzd504 said:
    poster said:
    I bought some.

I haven’t used Xanthan Gum.  What are it’s practical applications?
    Southwestern CT
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    Options

Thickener. only takes a small amount and will thicken w/out cooking (unlike, cornstarch or flour). Can make nice sauces and creams.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • poster
    Options
    poster said:
    buzd504 said:
    poster said:
    I bought some.

Also its the ticket for awesome home fermented hot sauce
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Secret, whisk hard, add milk slowly.
    Never had a problem with bechamels.

I'm on board with the XG.
    Makes a great homemade, organic, water based lube in a pinch.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lkapigian
    Options

Thickener. only takes a small amount and will thicken w/out cooking (unlike, cornstarch or flour). Can make nice sauces and creams.

Its a great thickened, I use it when I ferment peppers for hot sauce...it also acts as a stabalizer 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    @CarolinaCrazy @lkapigian - any idea how it stacks up to the cold version of clear jell?
    Southwestern CT
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Have any of you bought it on amazon? Which one did you buy?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.