Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt fail

Options
deanb1234
deanb1234 Posts: 16
edited May 2018 in EggHead Forum
So I thought I would post a fail video from my Arlo cameras.  I was doing an overnight pork butt for a coworker and was woke up at 330 by my thermometer telling me it was time to wrap.

I was in zombie half asleep mode and wasn't fully awake or thinking.  As a result I closed my door fully behind me.  My heat gloves don't have the best grip and couldn't grasp the door knob and for some reason it didn't occur to me to sit the butt down on the table just out camera shot.

If this was for myself personally I would have just picked it up cut the portion off that touched the porch and went on, but would have felt bad taking that to my coworker. 

Enjoy the video of the fallen butt. 

https://youtu.be/1pBkzVjy400
Georgetown, KY.  XL BGE, Akorn Jr, Grillgrates, Smokeware Cap, & Kick Ash Basket.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,231
    Options
    Only one MF. Not too shabby. 

Sorry for your loss 
  • deanb1234
    Options
    I'm actually proud of myself that there wasn't a lot more MFers thrown out lol 
    Georgetown, KY.  XL BGE, Akorn Jr, Grillgrates, Smokeware Cap, & Kick Ash Basket.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,793
    Options
    Bless you, been there 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That would’ve got pulled and on a plate here.  5sec rule. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I can't believe your dog, mine would have been in there like a dirty shirt...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    FWIW I have the "lever" style handle on the door to the back porch and I can open it with an elbow if my hands are full. 
    Image result for lever style door handles

The only issue is my dog can also open it, but hasn't learned to close it yet. 

I agree with the others though- 5 second rule. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    deanb1234 said:
    So I thought I would post a fail video from my Arlo cameras.  I was doing an overnight pork butt for a coworker and was woke up at 330 by my thermometer telling me it was time to wrap.

I was in zombie half asleep mode and wasn't fully awake or thinking.  As a result I closed my door fully behind me.  My heat gloves don't have the best grip and couldn't grasp the door knob and for some reason it didn't occur to me to sit the butt down on the table just out camera shot.

If this was for myself personally I would have just picked it up cut the portion off that touched the porch and went on, but would have felt bad taking that to my coworker. 

Enjoy the video of the fallen butt. 

https://youtu.be/1pBkzVjy400
    My dogs would have been all over it....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    That's a bummer! two weeks ago while taking a pizza out to the egg to cook it I dumped it upside down on the front deck! slid the peel under it flipped it back over and on the egg it went 30 second rule. Then Sunday evening bringing in pork chops to eat and screen door knocked the plate and down they went 30 second rule again! I hope you salvaged some of that Butt.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    that porch is alot cleaner than my egg =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    That look on your face.

Priceless.

Must be regional variations on the rule.

3 seconds

5 seconds

30 seconds

Whichever. I'd eat it.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • deanb1234
    Options
    FWIW I have the "lever" style handle on the door to the back porch and I can open it with an elbow if my hands are full. 
    Image result for lever style door handles

The only issue is my dog can also open it, but hasn't learned to close it yet. 

I agree with the others though- 5 second rule. 
    Funny enough I'm remodeling my downstairs and a part of that is new door hardware, after this incident I purchased door handles almost identical to those this week!!  =)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    i think the rule is did it land fat side down or fat side up ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • deanb1234
    edited May 2018
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    That look on your face.

Priceless.

Must be regional variations on the rule.

3 seconds

5 seconds

30 seconds

Whichever. I'd eat it.
    If you only could hear the words in my head to go along with my face!!  ;)

If I wasn't half asleep then I would have, but I was so tired and mad that I just picked it up and tossed it.  Wasn't thinking at all, but after I went back to bed I was then kicking my self for throwing it away.  :o
  • deanb1234
    Options

My dogs would have been all over it....
    He was surprisingly well behaved in that instance, but he did lick my rub covered shoes for about 5 days after that!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,053
    Options
    Devastating
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That's why you shouldn't add unnecessary steps to an uncomplicated process.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Something about chicken thighs, they seem to squirt outta my tongs quite frequently!  Back on the fire they go, for a quick sterilization...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE