Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips on using the pizza stone

I've had a pizza stone for a while but keep burning bits to it which is a pain. I've just done a clean burn so it's fresh and ready to go again and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get the best from it?

Comments

• UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Let it come up to temp along with the other ceramics.  You can use parchment paper under the pizza.  That helps keep it a bit cleaner as well.  Ultimately I don’t think the burned bits will effect anything aside from how pretty your stone is.  A dirty Egg is a used Egg.
    XL  Central Ohio
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited April 2018
    I let the fire continue to rock and roll @ 500-600 degrees for about 30 minutes after the pizza is removed. Then I scrape the bits off of the stone with my metal pizza peel.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Please describe your set up. Are you just using your stone directly on the grill? Or are you using your PS with spacers and then your stone?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • timgaunt
    timgaunt Posts: 4
    I wonder if I didn't let it warm up enough last time. That or over did the topping. The dirtiness was only an issue in that it meant stuff stuck more...

I generally popped the stone onto the plate setter with its legs down. Nothing else unusual.

Is there a recommended temperature to cook it at? 
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    timgaunt said:
    I wonder if I didn't let it warm up enough last time. That or over did the topping. The dirtiness was only an issue in that it meant stuff stuck more...

I generally popped the stone onto the plate setter with its legs down. Nothing else unusual.

Put the grate on the PS then the stone on the grate.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    timgaunt said:

Different styles of pizza are best cooked at differing temps.  Dough recipes should be matched to the style and cooked within the designed temp range.  Good thing about an egg is it can handle the full temp range for any style of pizza you may want. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• You need an air gap between the stone and the platesetter, especially if you have them in direct contact.  Balled up foil will work or any 1/2" thick, heat-resistant material.  Be sire to preheat the stone as others have noted.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • timgaunt
    Thanks all. Had some fun making these and they turned out better than expected. Good shout on putting the air gap between the stone and PS. I didn't do that last time. I guess it makes the stone hotter 

• Looks like you are on your way.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    edited May 2018
    You need an air gap between the stone and the platesetter, especially if you have them in direct contact.  Balled up foil will work or any 1/2" thick, heat-resistant material.  Be sire to preheat the stone as others have noted.
      This.  I use two stacks of three fire bricks on legs down PS to get the grate up and put your stone on that, stone temp around 500
      That pizza looks awesome BTW
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• timgaunt
    Thanks alaskanassasin, will try that as well next time. I definitely thing the missing trick was getting the air gap in there, the pizzas turned out really well and the base was super light as we left it to proof longer than we perhaps should have. I've still got the oil burns on the roof of my mouth haha
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Get an infrared thermometer so you know the temp ot the stone.   The stone can be +/- 200 degrees from the dome thermometer, so the infrared helps give you consistency in your cooks.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Air gap is important but you also need to get the pizza up into the sweet spot.  Varies depending on style of pizza, temp, etc but normally 2-3 inches above the felt line is a good starting place.  I might go higher, but the size of the pizza stones limits how high it can be placed before reducing air flow around it.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.