Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shredded beef experiment

Options
Nathanogle51
Nathanogle51 Posts: 52
I had an idea about preparing shredded beef for tacos. I want to know if I'm doing too much or if the process would have a fault.

I have a 2 and a half pound chuck.

I want to reverse sear it, THEN Braise it. I plan to smoke to an internal temp of about 140, crank up the egg to about 600 to sear both sides, then finish it in the oven in a Dutch Oven @ about 250.

Has anyone tried this or know why it wouldn't work? I want the flavor from all three methods! I've definitely seen recipes that call for a sear, then braise and I've seen recipes that call for a smoke, then braise; I just haven't seen a recipe that calls for a smoke, then sear, then braise. Just curious.
Dec. 2016: Large BGE
Covington, GA via Rocky Top, TN

Comments

• RustyBeavers
    Options
    I haven’t tried this yet and want to soon. I feel like I have seen people treat it like a pork butt and just let it ride at 250 until it’s probe tender (over 200 degrees IT?). I’m curious to see what you end up doing as a method and what the outcome is. 
    Dallas, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    I haven’t tried this yet and want to soon. I feel like I have seen people treat it like a pork butt and just let it ride at 250 until it’s probe tender (over 200 degrees IT?). I’m curious to see what you end up doing as a method and what the outcome is. 
    this is what i do and it probes tender between 210 and 215. to the op, the braise makes it more like boiled potroast, might be good in a taco but havent done it. have never tried a piece less than 8 pounds
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    I don't think you need to reverse sear it as you are taking it to the Pull Point---I treat it like a pork but and don't technically "Braise" Once it is past the stall I wrap tight in foil and take it to 200-- I have done Roasts and Chuck Rolls this way and they come out spot on---post pictures please
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Agree with all above. Not sure the sear is necessary if you are going braise and pull .
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If you are dead set on searing do it in the Dutch oven the use the braising liquid to deglaze the pan.  You get to use up all that Brown goodness from the sear.  Otherwise I would skip the sear. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have seen a lot of recipes that call for first searing before braising such as pot roast. I think the idea is just to get some maillaird reaction to add a depth of flavor and vary the texture. If you smoke it first I don't think it is as necessary because smoking for many hours does sort of the same thing. I don't see any harm in trying it though. It's not like it is a ton of extra work. Just heat up a dutch oven on the stove top when the smoke stage is almost finished. Give it a quick sear, add your liquid, and back on the egg.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RustyBeavers
    Options
    this is what i do and it probes tender between 210 and 215. to the op, the braise makes it more like boiled potroast, might be good in a taco but havent done it. have never tried a piece less than 8 pounds
    You have a guess on how long these things take per pound to reach those temps?
    Dallas, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Depends on the quality of the meat and temos you are running, whether you foil or not---When I go 225 Grate ( its one cook I don't like Higher Temps) I go 1 hr per pound and I can bump temp if needed
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Nathanogle51
    Options
    I have seen a lot of recipes that call for first searing before braising such as pot roast. I think the idea is just to get some maillaird reaction to add a depth of flavor and vary the texture. If you smoke it first I don't think it is as necessary because smoking for many hours does sort of the same thing. I don't see any harm in trying it though. It's not like it is a ton of extra work. Just heat up a dutch oven on the stove top when the smoke stage is almost finished. Give it a quick sear, add your liquid, and back on the egg.

This is exactly what I did! Pics coming
  • Nathanogle51
    Options
    Step 1: I used a very savory rub with a South west emphasis. I eyeballed each, but if I had to define the rub: 1 T Salt, 1 T Pepper, 1T Garlic powder, 1 t Cumin powder, 1 t coriander, 1/2 T Ancho chile powder, 1/2 T Chipotle Chile powder, 1 t cinnamon...
  • Nathanogle51
    Options
    Step 2: I then smoked each side for 30 minutes @250 with a handful of Mesquite chips
  • Nathanogle51
    Options
    Step 3: )So this is the first time I've ever really "stepped outside" of a recipe and created for myself. I've searched, but couldn't find a recipe for smoked, seared, and braised, but that is exactly what I did) I preheated the Dutch Oven for searing, with Olive oil, and seared each side for 50 seconds.
  • Nathanogle51
    Options
    Step 4: I then poured 8oz. of Doequis beer to deglaze and braise the DO, then added some minced garlic (5 cloves worth) and added 3 deseeded chipotle peppers, then added 1 T of adobo sauce. 
  • Nathanogle51
    Options
    Step 5: Back on the egg until fork tender (northward of 195 internal temp). Then I took off egg, let rest for 20 minutes. 
  • Nathanogle51
    Options
    Step 6: Shred beef with a fork and laddle some of the sauce from the braise on the beef. 
  • Nathanogle51
    Nathanogle51 Posts: 52
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I served with fresh made pico de gallo, cotija cheese, and (cheated) fresh bacon crumbles... Folks, I gotta tell ya, this was delicious. My bride absolutely loved it. I don't know if the sear made much of a difference, but I do know the meat was incredibly flavorful and those little morsels of char were noticeable... I hope you enjoyed!
  • RustyBeavers
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Looks delicious, excited to try myself
    Dallas, TX

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Sounds similar to Pepper Stout Beef. Have a look.
    Mountain View, CA