Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs PSA

jdkeithbge
jdkeithbge Posts: 310
Folks, just learned something the hard way today and wanted to pass along.  Our dog wound up eating some sugar-free gum one of the kids managed to leave out on the floor.  He vomited at home and started to act all woozy, shaky, and weak.  Called the vet, they asked if the gum had xylitol, sure enough it was the first ingredient listed.  Rushed him to the ER.  He is stable on the hypoglycemia for now but the big question is how much if any liver damage he suffered.  Could be he comes home tomorrow, or he doesn't make it at all, which is a broad spectrum on prognosis.  Anyhow, if you have or use sugar-free items with xylitol, be aware that it is extremely dangerous for dogs.  We had no idea.
XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX

Comments

• Cats too. Friends cat had same issue last week. His pulled through after a couple  of tough days. Hoping you have the same result. Sorry you are dealing with that. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Never heard of this...Thanks for sharing & home your family member pulls through unscathed.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    @jdkeithbge...it is unfortunately bad deal.. sounds like the ER is telling you right. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Sorry to hear. Had a damn Golden R that ate the girls gum all the time. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Wow - hoping for the best for your dog.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Hoping for a full recovery       
    Jacksonville FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    hoping for a good recovery. never heard of the xylitol sugar free thing with dogs.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Sorry to hear about this!

One of the most common food items that people feed their pets that contains Xylitol is peanut butter! Be sure to check the ingredients list before giving any PB to your dogs
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Thanks all for the well wishes.  Visited Bowie and the vet this morning, he is doing much better.  Vet did some research on the particular gum, and was now confident he didn't ingest enough to cause any permanent liver damage.  Liver functions were getting back towards normal, and blood sugar was almost there.  He may come home as early as this evening, or likely tomorrow by mid day.  What a relief!
    That's great news....Thanks for keeping us updated.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    So glad to hear Bowie is doing well.  After 10 years we are back in puppy life.  It’s like living with a baby again making sure everything is save 24/7. Thank you for your posting. You have prompted me to check my children’s rooms for “secret stashes” of gum and to educate them as to the importance of keeping an environment that is safe for our puppy. 
    IL 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Thanks all for the well wishes.  Visited Bowie and the vet this morning, he is doing much better.  Vet did some research on the particular gum, and was now confident he didn't ingest enough to cause any permanent liver damage.  Liver functions were getting back towards normal, and blood sugar was almost there.  He may come home as early as this evening, or likely tomorrow by mid day.  What a relief!
    So glad to hear the good news!!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Glad you're getting a good report
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    All the best to Bowie and your family! Our newest family member is a 5 month old English bulldog pup named Gator....
    your advice and info is much appreciated!
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Good news. Thanks for the info and update. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    Great news!!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Glad to hear Bowie is doing better!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2018
    Glad Bowie is feeling better. Curiosity...named because you're "a fan" or coincidence only?
    We lost a Fur Baby (Rinco) [Belgian Malinois imported from Holland with certified KNPV met lof PH1,PH2 and objectbewking] many years ago due to ingestion of  sago palm. It was horrifying!!!
    Not trying to minimize or change the OT but, along the same lines PSA especially with it being spring and summer quickly approaching.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Great name, great results, great news.
    Heroes.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Glad to hear that.  I haven't seen a corgi in person, but I always like them a lot when I see them at the Westminster on the USA network or ESPN whichever it is.  Happy to see him smiling and home!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Welcome home Bowie!  
    IL 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    That’s a cute dog. And I don’t even like dogs.

Glad things turned out ok. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • AintEZbeingme
    AintEZbeingme Posts: 177
    tml1230 said:
    All the best to Bowie and your family! Our newest family member is a 5 month old English bulldog pup named Gator....
    your advice and info is much appreciated!
    A bulldog named Gator! How did that come about?
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE