Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A few other Pork Butt Question. -- Overnight rub? Liquid in Drip Pan? Reheating?

Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
Tomorrow I am doing a 9# Butt and then will refrigerate it to bring to the beach for our contribution to a family gathering.  I have done several Butts previously (smaller butts 7#s) , and they have all been pretty good, but I want this one to be outstanding. 

Previously, I have just applied the rub in the morning before beginning the cook, and I have not put any liquid in the drip pan.  Also, on all prior cooks, I often pulled it off when the temp was in the 170 to 180 range as it was still stalled because I was out of time.  I will probably foil this one and crank up the temp to help push through the stall.  

But I have reviewed several videos and some people seem to apply the rub overnight?  I am wondering if this will improve the results?  

Also, I am wondering if I should put liquid in the drip pan?  Some seem to recommend Apple Vinegar and water?  

And lastly, any recommendation on how to reheat it a day or so later?  I probably won't pull it apart until we are ready to reheat to help retain the moisture, but I don't want to dry it out while reheating.  I would cook it at the beach, but we don't have an egg at the beach.

I am probably overthinking it, and I am certain that there is no wrong here -- but again, this one is important as we are bringing it to an event, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    No on the liquid in the drip pan.  The biggest thing that will do is slow your cook down.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    If you have a Sous Vide circulator, that is by far the best way to reheat PP.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Reheat in baggies or food saver bags in simmering water for 5-10 minutes.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Don't have a Sous Vide... I am thinking about slowly in closed zip lock in microwave.
    Large Egg.  New Orleans Area
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Pull when the initial cook  is finished (finished best indicated as when the bone pulls clean or if boneless, then when it probes with no resistance-forget the temperature although the temp will likely be in the low 200's*F when the magic happens) so you don't have to reheat the entire hunk of protein.  Much better flavor profile.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Don't overthink the cook. I'm in the no-foil camp unless there are time considerations, which shouldn't be a factor since you're re-heating anyway. If you like the results and pull in the 170-180 range I think taking it until it probes like butter will improve the cook more than any of the other things you're contemplating.
    Stillwater, MN
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited May 2018
    You'll find better results if you start early enough to run a constant temperature and ride it out. Do not use the microwave to reheat!! Aside from an immersion circulator I would say to do it in the oven. Put in a glass casserole dish with enough regular coke or other liquid (I like Goya Jamon packet mixed with h2o) to moisten the meat, cover in foil and warm at 225-250. Crock pot works well also the same way. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    edited May 2018
    Well, since I just posted “Sunday Butt”, I guess my position on liquid in the drip pan is known - I like it, especially if the pork is to be reheated.  Water in the drip pan helps stabilize the temperature, and keeps the drippings from burning, creating a nice smokey au jus to moisten the meat when you reheat.  

I suppose the longer the rub is on, the deeper and more effectively it penetrates.

As someone else suggested, I would pull it soon after original cook.  To reheat, I’d spread it in an appropriately sized roasting pan, hit it with the au jus and seasoning, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and gently reheat in a not too hot oven - 250-ish.

Here’s my leftover pork, about to overflow a toasted hoagie bun.

Maryland, 1 LBGE