Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Zero Turn Mower Suggestions Wanted

Options

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @GrillSgt check out what Wright has out these days.  Looked promising, though I'm sorta the type of if I can stand, why not sit though.  

https://youtu.be/VlNyOigPGiA
    not a 0 turn, but pretty bad ass nonetheless..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHa3dCisR-A
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Get some goats like the Corp of Engineers at Lake Lanier 

https://www.forsythnews.com/local/goats-buford-dam-handle-landscaping/
    A buddy had 2 goats. He didn't own a mower for years because he let the goats cut the lawn and then put them back into the goat fence. He used them all the time to clear overgrown areas. Both the goats are gone now and he complains about mowing. But at least he can have shrubs and flower beds again. 

I've got wild deer that are pretty much goats but they don't eat enough grass. They do keep the shrubs and low branches on the trees trimmed up though. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    Options
    I bought a new snapper zero turn earlier this year.   It has a stamped deck and comes with either a Briggs or Kawisaki.   
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Got this Bobcat used last year, low hours / all service records for $2500. Has run well and no problems yet.
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    Options
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited May 2018
    Options
    wrong thread
    Options
    I love my Exmark!!  Sort of like an egg... best in their field....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Toxarch
    Options
    At least 30 miles to the nearest Skag or Exmark dealer. Was hoping there was one nearby.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    30 miles is nearby in texas.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    At least 30 miles to the nearest Skag or Exmark dealer. Was hoping there was one nearby.
    That's about how far away my dealer is.  That's not far.  

Probably bad timing with the mowing season, but worth a shot.  I'd ask them to bring a demo out to you for you to try out.  See what fits you and your property.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I bought a Ferris and love it but not sure if you can get one under 5k. 

Little Rock, AR

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Little Rock, AR

• Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    I have been running a 60” exmark for about 13 years. Aside from normal oil/grease maintenance, no issues. Granted, it is above the $5000.00 range you are looking to spend. I have a friend that is very pleased with his “bad boy” zero turn.

@JohnnyTarheel...how do you like the bag catcher? I’ve been stewing about getting one for mine if they have a option for it. I mow right about 3 acres. This thread made me go look at new exmarks online...40k for their 96” diesel!! That thing must mean some business! Love my exmark!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    @Jonnysouth   The Exmark is a mowing machine. I have had mine for 6 years and had no issues. I do the regular maintenance as well. The grass catcher does a fantastic job. My yard has several trees and I use the catcher in the fall to make this task so much easier. On your 60 inch it will come with a 3 bag system. The bag system is also simple to remove or add for use. It’s so nice to clean up an area when the junk starts falling. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Jonnysouth
    Options
    Thanks @JohnnyTarheel...I’ll be looking into it. I also get a lot of leaves in the fall. Do you catch your grass clippings as well for each mow?
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    @Jonnysouth     I will use it in early spring when pollen and blooms are falling.  Typically don’t use it just for grass unless grass is real heavy and want to get rid of clippings.   However it can be used for both with no issues. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I have a Troy Bilt Pony.  Don't get one of those.  I would also push for some goats and/or cows to do this.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Just for reference an average size baseball field is three acres.  A football field is 1.32 acres.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Jonnysouth
    Options
    @JohnnyTarheel, I just got back from work and made a call to my closest exmark dealer. The one I purchased the one I have is no longer in business. Does 3-4 k sound right? That’s what the guy told me over the phone. Seems awfully high to me??
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Real happy with this mower

Commercial quality. 42" deck allows for maneuvering even in the tighter areas & it doesn't scalp the lawn when going over the rolling hills and pitchy areas.  The thick fabricated decking is legit and is standing up quite well against the Florida sand. Maintenance is a breeze. I like that all the police are easily accessible and zerk fittings on anything that needs lubrication is a huge Plus in my mind. We also have the bagging system for this mower. I personally prefer to just use the Gator blades and mulch it but in the winter it is nice to be able to run over the lawn and pick up the leaves.  Although there are big box stores that sell Husqvarna they are not even close to the caliber that this one is coming from a dealer. Same goes with big box stores that sell the John Deere mowers. The cost is a little bit more upfront but well worth it.
    Edit: Commercial. Fabricated Deck. Under 5K

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    Here's mine...it's a little Dangerous...=)

Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • bassman3
    bassman3 Posts: 2
    Options
    hustler raptor sd 54, out the door for $4000
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
     I can only speak of commercial mowers Ive had no experience with home owner grade mowers.  You may have some luck on craigslist purchasing a used commercial mower that fits your needs.
     My hustler was a 23hp 52",  I think in your price range. Blew clutches, pumps, wheel motors, seat was junk, cables all stuck, not highly recommended.
     Toro 52" 27hp, this was closer to 7k, good mower many years of service, Nice cut, good seat!
     Just bought a 72" 37hp Ferris, this is a beast! It took me two 4 hour days to mow my yard with the Toro, mostly because my back could not take the beating at high speed.  However this Ferris is full suspension with a suspension seat.... I now mow the yard in 2.5 hours at 10-12 mph rallying through every chuck hole and bump like a trophy truck!

I bought the IS3200Z but this looks like a scaled down version.

https://www.ferrismowers.com/na/en_us/product-catalog/zero-turn-mowers/is-600z-zero-turn-mowers.html

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    With that suspension, I bet your beer doesn’t even foam up. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    30 miles im in 3 states up here and am arguing with a texan that works for my cc company to turn my supposedly stolen credit card back on.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Why did you steal your own credit card?

fishlessman said:
    30 miles im in 3 states up here and am arguing with a texan that works for my cc company to turn my supposedly stolen credit card back on.

• ChrisSonn23
    ChrisSonn23 Posts: 280
    Options
    Recently got a used 72" Ferris for around $6,000 from a local dealer. Cuts my 2.5 acres in about an hour. Front and rear suspension to make mowing uneven surfaces a lot easier on you and your mower. 
    BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • Toxarch
    Options
    A little delay getting the mower. Had a little upgrade put in on the property. These are not cheap. 60 panels and 2 inverters. Makes around 130 KWh on a cloudless day. Feeds extra back into the grid. Now back to the mower search. There is a new Skag dealer in town, gotta go check them out.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.