Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crawfish boil question

Options
Wasn't sure if this should go into OT or not.   We do a crawfish boil every year, and I've always used the 30 gallon pot which came with what I am assuming is fairly standard base.   I've been looking at larger pots which are not quite as deep as mine but much wider.   Not positive on the capacity, but the main point is it would not fit down into the ring which secures my 30 gallon, but rather sit on top.   Just wondering if this is too much of a safety concern with pot getting tipped over, etc.   Granted it will be heavy/full of water and a lot of good food, but still possible I suppose.   Anyone who boils crawfish know what I'm talking about here?  :pensive:
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    Paging @nolaegghead
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Probably need pics, but none of the typical pots here sit "in" the ring - they always sit "on".
    NOLA
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Why do you need a pic of me to determine this?  ;)  Seriously though, the more I think about it the more I'm probably good with it sitting on top considering how loaded the pot is going to be.   Aside from that, what do you throw in yours out of curiosity?   For us it's pretty usual for around here...the bugs, corn, potatoes, pearl onions.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Why do you need a pic of me to determine this?  ;)  Seriously though, the more I think about it the more I'm probably good with it sitting on top considering how loaded the pot is going to be.   Aside from that, what do you throw in yours out of curiosity?   For us it's pretty usual for around here...the bugs, corn, potatoes, pearl onions.
    Because I'm not completely sure what you're talking about.  ;)  I've never heard of "in the ring".  (I see you said a pic of you.  Please... just no.  lol)

Besides what you mention, celery, garlic, lemon (and other citrus) are key.  Occasionally, pineapple, sweet potatoes, various chile peppers, artichokes, sausage, eggs (in the shell), chicken (usually in panty hose to keep it together), cabbage, brussells sprouts, asparugus, etc, etc.

Honestly, I'm kind of over the whole "fixins" (sides) part of crawfish boils.  If I want the flavor of the boil, I want crawfish.  I don't want to eat a bunch of other stuff that tastes like boiled crawfish but isn't.

Critical for me - onions, celery (some friends puree this before putting it in), garlic, citrus (lemons, oranges), and extra cayenne.  We use frozen corn to cool off the boil after we cut the fire.

NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Should be fine.  Unless you are on a boat.
    Totally with you on the fixins.   I've scaled mine back to lose the sausage, shrimp, and a few other things.   To me the whole point is the crawfish.   I do add a lemon or two and garlic bulb as well, along with button mushrooms.   Never tried the celery, but might throw that in this time.   Thanks man!

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Me and some friends were into boiling turkeys a while back.  They look god-awful, but taste amazing.  This is in the same boil spice recipe as you'd use for crawfish.
    Options
    Totally with you on the fixins.   I've scaled mine back to lose the sausage, shrimp, and a few other things.   To me the whole point is the crawfish.   I do add a lemon or two and garlic bulb as well, along with button mushrooms.   Never tried the celery, but might throw that in this time.   Thanks man!
    Forgot the mushrooms, love those.  10 garlic bulbs, at least 7 or 8 lemons, halved as well.  I have a friend that squeezes fresh oranges on the boil right after they're out of the pot.  That seems to work well too.  It's very subtle.
    NOLA
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    The mushrooms are the 2nd best thing to the bugs. 

Some burners have a ring above the cooking surface for the pot to sit in. It's there so you don't bump the pot off the burner I guess. If you thing it's strong enough, then it should be fine. It will however be farther from the flame. Do a test boil and see if it works. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I have cooked and been around many Crawfish boils. I rarely see a burner with a band around the pot. If I had my choice of a crawfish cooker today I would buy the one @SGH has man I love that thing. IMO it is the perfect crawfish cooker.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• clemsontyger97
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    The mushrooms are the 2nd best thing to the bugs. 

Some burners have a ring above the cooking surface for the pot to sit in. It's there so you don't bump the pot off the burner I guess. If you thing it's strong enough, then it should be fine. It will however be farther from the flame. Do a test boil and see if it works. 
    Yep, that's the kind I have right there.   And I agree on the mushrooms.  I think I eat more corn and mushrooms than anything else due to me cooking all the bugs.   Thanks all for the replies.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    @nolaegghead Man the celery is probably best thing I ever added besides the corn.   Somehow managed to not get one pretty shot of them all red and steaming, but here is shot of the pot/stand I was originally referring to.   I ended up buying a new 60qt pot as well and used a buddy's square burner.   But you can see in my smaller one how the pot just sits inside the base.

35 lbs worth, so it was a good time.   Of course the one year I don't add potatoes due to so many being uneaten everyone asks where are the potatoes.   Maybe I should hold an annual potato boil instead.  :sunglasses:

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    As others have said you should be good, just watch the kids around the pot! We have a square stand and have never had a problem with anything tipping over.
    LBGE
    AL