Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

YETI vs RTIC drinkware and Dishwasher safe

I picked up a new YETI coffee mug today and noticed it said dishwasher safe on both the label and website. For the most part I've always bought RTIC because of the price difference but they aren't dishwasher safe so this surprised me. Call me lazy but if the YETIs are all dishwasher safe it kind of justifies the cost difference to me. The mug I bought is coated so is this something specific to the painted/coated YETIs or has it always been this way for all YETI drinkware? I'm going to buy a couple more bottles and cups soon so I was just wondering.

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    I run my RTIC tumblers in the dishwasher no problem. I can buy 3 or 4 RTIC to the Yeti so there’s that. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    We have several Yeti pieces. The colors are not brand new, but it was an upgrade to just the SS.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Chainsmoker
    Chainsmoker Posts: 114
    I've been told not to wash any of those type cups in the dishwasher.
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    I believe the Yeti’s switched from hand-wash to dishwasher-safe somewhere around 2016.  
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     I wash all my Yeti, RTIC, Mossy Oak etc. in the dishwasher. If it can hold boiling water for tea, I can't see how a dishwasher will hurt them. I have not had any of my many pieces lose vacuum nor have any cosmetic damage doing this.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    CtTOPGUN said:
     I wash all my Yeti, RTIC, Mossy Oak etc. in the dishwasher. If it can hold boiling water for tea, I can't see how a dishwasher will hurt them. I have not had any of my many pieces lose vacuum nor have any cosmetic damage doing this.

I think the issue in the past was the gasket on the lid. I don't think it was dishwasher safe
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    We wash the hell out of the lids in the machine but hand wash the cups. Are you telling me the cups were dishwasher safe the whole time?? 

Cats and dogs - living together!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    CtTOPGUN said:

It's the vacuum I seem to remember reading they would lose after the dishwasher so this is good news for sure.
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    edited April 2018
    I have 2 Yeti cups. Both eventually lost their vacuum. I could only attribute it to the dishwasher. Replacements have been fine but I handwash. They were great about replacing.
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    I bought a 20oz. Yeti tumbler and it said dishwasher safe. However, I wash it by hand only.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Doesn’t be the bourbon kill any germs?
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    We have all versions- Yeti, RTIC, Starbucks and a few no names.  We use DW for all the lids and handwash all the cups.  Most of our cups only get water through them.

I do have a few Contigo cups I use for Travel Coffee which are similar mfg process and I have run through the DW for years with no issue.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Dropping the cup is worse than the dishwasher IMO..
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Zaltydog said:
    I have 2 Yeti cups. Both eventually lost their vacuum. I could only attribute it to the dishwasher. Replacements have been fine but I handwash. They were great about replacing.
    How do you know when a cup has lost the vacuum seal?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    KiterTodd said:
    Zaltydog said:
    If you used to be able to keep some ice cubes in your cup for 12 hours but now they only last a few hours then you've lost the vacuum.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    HeavyG said:
    KiterTodd said:
    Zaltydog said:
    If you used to be able to keep some ice cubes in your cup for 12 hours but now they only last a few hours then you've lost the vacuum.
    LOL, I have too many of those cups to remember which ones used to keep thing cold longer than they do now.  Thanks, though!  ;)

I thought there was an easy test you could do. I'm sure some of my older ones have lost the seal but I really can't be sure.  I know some weren't impressive to begin with.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • xfire_ATX
    HeavyG said:
    I switch back and forth between a Yeti and an RTIC 30 oz.  Yeti is about 6 hours better but I only notice it overnight.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    xfire_ATX said:
    HeavyG said:
    I switch back and forth between a Yeti and an RTIC 30 oz.  Yeti is about 6 hours better but I only notice it overnight.
    I've never really timed how long ice cubes last. My main interest in these vac cups is they don't allow condensation to form on the outside of them.

I guess that is actually a better test of whether one still has vacuum integrity.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    xfire_ATX said:
    HeavyG said:
    This mirrors my experience as well. I would buy another RTIC, but the Yeti gets better results.
    Stillwater, MN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    i dont know, just rtic here, after 24 hours i rinse the ice off in the morning thats left add more and continue
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • xfire_ATX
    i dont know, just rtic here, after 24 hours i rinse the ice off in the morning thats left add more and continue
    I add ice and water all day to my cups.  At the end of the day I add Ice to whatever is in my cup so that it stays in "cold" state all night long.

Yeti- most of the ice is there in the AM.
    - half or more of ice is gone- pour water in dog bowl add more ice.

HeavyG said:
    I've never really timed how long ice cubes last. My main interest in these vac cups is they don't allow condensation to form on the outside of them.

I guess that is actually a better test of whether one still has vacuum integrity.

I had Tervis cups before to keep the condensation down..  Those are all almost all gone now.

• BugFreak72
    I had Tervis cups before to keep the condensation down.. Those are all almost all gone now.

Same here. These stainless cups are taking over my cup cabinet. A nice cold water in the morning is a wonderful thing after a long night out. I go days using the same cup with leftover ice.

BTW I emailed YETI asking the same questions from my original post. I haven't heard back yet but will post the info when I do.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    I had Tervis cups before to keep the condensation down.. Those are all almost all gone now.

Same here. These stainless cups are taking over my cup cabinet. A nice cold water in the morning is a wonderful thing after a long night out. I go days using the same cup with leftover ice.

BTW I emailed YETI asking the same questions from my original post. I haven't heard back yet but will post the info when I do.

Lol, Yeti, Ozark Trail, Rtic, Sam's Club, between work, and both trucks, home, I'm at 15.  Aside from some glassware, rest was Goodwill'd.  They are my cabinet.

Kids all get an assigned glass they've customized.  No water rings, and spills are minimized.  That goes for both kids, and adults. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I've always hand washed, and none of the tumblers have lost vacuum yet.  I've got RTIC and Yeti and they're the only drink ware used.

Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Problem is....one doesn't now when purchased....and if it falls under the washable or not. Wish there was something on them that helped identified.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited May 2018
    Usually wash by hand until tea stains become too much, then into the DW for a through cleaning.  No problem so far an of the SS cups. 
    Don't us sanitize cycle when Yetis/RTIC in DW.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BugFreak72
    I received an email back from Yeti on this topic. Not totally answering my questions but still fitting information.

We have done several tests since the launch of the YETI Rambler series and have concluded that these products are dishwasher safe.
    We recommend placing your Rambler on the top shelf in your dishwasher and away from the heating element. Also, remove the silicone gasket from the lid prior to cleaning and dry the gasket thoroughly before replacing on the lid. When replacing the gasket, take care to ensure it is aligned properly – with the ribs to the outside and the wider flange on the top side. Please note that some acidic drinks (e.g. lemonade & margaritas) can cause permanent etching on the lid, so we recommend cleaning your Rambler and lids after each use. Do NOT clean with bleach or cleaners containing chlorine as this will affect the finish.
    Please let us know if you have questions.
    Sincerely,

Taylor G 
    The YETI Outfitters 
    customerservice@yeti.com 
    yeti.com

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     I always leave my heat settings off. I guess I comply with the manufacturer's new statement.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim