Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunshine State EggFest!

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Great updates!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim

Great SRF gold grade tenderloin. Also had some beef rib and teres major steak w Jess Pryles. 
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Didn’t run into @SamIAm2. Still looking, buddy
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2018

thetrim said:

Great SRF gold grade tenderloin. Also had some beef rib and teres major steak w Jess Pryles. 
    I was outside of the tent to your right, about half way back when you took this picture. Dang, sure sorry I missed you. Ran into @FlaPoolman and we were talking for quite a while about Eggfests we had both attended. He asked me to take a picture for @Carolina Q. More to come. Edit - Think that is Jess Pryles on the right of Pat.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • SamIAm2
    Got here just a bit after the lighting of the eggs at 8:00 and took pictures of some of the cooks areas just to give a feeling of the size of this outside venue.
    This was before they started serving, after that the line got long and continual.

Two groups on the right are locals, RiverWayMike and Captain Phil who put out food every Saturday at Wassi's,

Jess Pryles talking to another vendor before the doors opened.
    This shot is of one of the local restaurant cooks in the outside restaurant row.
    Rolli makes a great pork sandwich in his small place on New Haven in Melbourne. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • SamIAm2
    Lamb Shanks on an XXL.
    96 pound cow rear section on a XXL.

Looks like I could have seen @thetrim if I had looked left (and knew what he looked like) =)
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Looks like a really nice day there and a lot of fun.  Thanks for all the pics!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SamIAm2
    Looks like a really nice day there and a lot of fun.  Thanks for all the pics!
    Weather and temp were great. Breezy and cool in the morning and the afternoon breeze felt good. Come down next year if you can. They already reserved this venue for next year.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • SamIAm2
    Captain Phil getting ready for the masses. Sous Vide Tri-tip and glazed carrot.

Had her Blueberry French toast every year and this Buccaneer Brisket bite was full of flavor. Love seeing her every year, her team rocks the food. Couldn't do her third offering - can't abide coconut but two out of three ain't bad.

PORK!!!
    Bright sunlight playing havoc with the camera. Sorry @FlaPoolman.
    Didn't get a shot of the two pigs in the XXL but was there for the cutting up. Fat was running off the table when he cut it up. I'll look thru the rest of my pictures and see if anything else is worth posting. Thanks for looking. I had a great week.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 355
    Everything looks like it was an awesome time, but today was Gbaby’s Birthday so i’ll Have to wait until next year.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @SamIAm2 - You deserve special recognition not only here but by the organizers for the incredible documentation of what is quite a production.  Many thanks for sharing the level of effort and commitment on the back end to pull this off.  Thanks for the thread.  I hope you got to enjoy at least some of the festivities.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Looks like quite the event. I’ll have to put that on the list of eggfests to eventually get to. Thanks for sharing. 
  • SamIAm2
    edited April 2018
    Lou you know squids go above and beyond, not to worry as I don't miss a meal when it is free. Keeping busy taking photographs helped me pace myself so I didn't get too stuffed too quickly. The Wassi family are good folks and I enjoy helping out. Been doing this with fellow egger "Limp Brisket" since this fest moved to Cape Canaveral and I get a kick out of stepping in where I'm needed. Other folks work longer and harder than me, every year. Thank you for your kind words. This is my therapy after the rollercoaster ride our house has had the last month. Last pictures - hope you can read the recipe - edit doesn't look clear enough to read and now I don't remember what it was.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @SamIAm2 - Got the recipe- no idea if I will ever muster the effort to acquire the goodies and pull it off but audibles are always fun.  Glad you found an extra purpose with this one and the roller coaster is now at the end of the ride.  Enjoy the remainder of the weekend recovering from a great effort.  All the best to your wife as well.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    All around a lot of really good chow today!  Had a great time talking with @nibblemethis.  He had one of my favorite blogs. I really wish we could’ve linked up @SamIAm2. You deserve a nice rest after the last few days and month with all you’re dealing with. Frank Wassi might just collapse after loading up 187 demo eggs.  I’m sure our paths will cross one of these days!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SamIAm2
    Sure hope that wasn't Frank Sr. doing that. How long did you stay today? Thanks for your kind words and I look forward to meeting up. Maybe the end of November as we will be in Tampa for a wedding at The Barn at Winthrop.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • thetrim
    SamIAm2 said:
    Sure hope that wasn't Frank Sr. doing that. How long did you stay today? Thanks for your kind words and I look forward to meeting up. Maybe the end of November as we will be in Tampa for a wedding at The Barn at Winthrop.
    I only live 10 mins from there. No it was Frank Jr. We left just after 7.  We‘ll connect sometime.  I’m out on the Spacecoast for work every couple of months.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SamIAm2
    Went to Wassi's meat market yesterday and saw Frank Jr. - he looked beat. They said they had about 5k visitors for the fest.They were restocking the store after cleaning up the venue and bringing back everything that didn't get sold along with restocking the meat for the store. They are hard working folks. Thanks all for looking and for your comments. Till next year.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • thetrim
    edited May 2018
    @SamIAm2 I have to say, one more time; it was an awesome event.  As we were waiting for my neighbor's egg, I talked with one of the granddaughters (Jade).  Really nice kid.  She was helping with handing out the tickets to all the new egg owners prior to them getting called to get their cars in line to pick up their eggs. 

I was a bit disappointed (actually really pissed) that she said so many people were giving them the business on how long it was taking to get the new egg owners paired up with their new eggs.  Yeah, it was a bit of a cluster, but it was a new venue that didn't have the right layout to hand out 187 new eggs in a super efficient way.  I didn't know it would take that long, but I was really disappointed that she heard so many negative comments. 

I mention this to you to please pass along my and my neighbor's sincere thanks for the job they did.  We had a blast and will be back next year.  We're probably both out of the egg buying business for a while, but we'll do our best to keep supporting Wassi's and the Sunshine State Eggfest for many years to come.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Damn, wish I lived closer
  • Greedygoat
    Greedygoat Posts: 134
    edited May 2018
    I will be going next year for sure.
    XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    thinking about cooking next egg fest. Some port tenderloin sandwiches on Hawaiian bread. Looking forward to what @Big_Green_Craig has going!

After cooking a full prime rib dinner for 400 Friday night with an amazing team, I fired up three XXL eggs and two XLs for two 25 lb hogs, four legs of lamb, one 65lb steamship round of beef and three Cheshire Farms Porchettas. 

This years new venue was awesome! Being able to cook all day completely under shade cover was a great addition. The Wassis always do everything first class. 
  • SamIAm2
    @thetrim - sent you a PM
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • bigworm
    bigworm Posts: 20

Almost a week away. Anyone going? Any insights on any deals they might have?

Large and a MM
  • SamIAm2

Will be helping build eggs, nests, and anything else they need starting the 23rd.

Probably post photos and updates as the week goes on as I did last year.

Also am helping one of the cooks on Saturday. Going to be tired by Saturday evening.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • SamIAm2

XXL's

35 XL's

Built nests yesterday and bands for XL's and Large. Fingers arid black and sore from all those acorn nuts that wouldn't thread on easily. More trucks delivering eggs tomorrow.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • JohnInCarolina
  • SamIAm2

@JohnInCarolina - I am always blown away by how much work goes into an Eggfest (or BB for that matter). The host family are great people. I'm always tired at the end of the day and then drive an hour to get home, but it's a good tired.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • JohnInCarolina

Obviously I have some appreciation for what went into BB but the Eggfests are a whole other level of organization and effort if you ask me.

• PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 355

Am working in Ft Pierce now, so was planning on staying down this weekend to finally go to this. Of course my Boss decided that we need to work Saterday on a scheduled power outage.

Hope to finish in time to make it, not looking good though.