Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Had to jump on the Instant Pot sale

Sur La Table had a good sale on these for just a couple days.
Price watched for many months. Arrived today.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Nice watches! :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    with the ULTRA control, you can use it to Sous Vide.  my wife has used it to proof bread (yogurt button/low), she also has been making yogurt that is WAY better than store-bought. I am not typically a fan of yogurt, but this stuff is pretty good.  We spent about 3-4 weeks cooking and testing it by cooking most everything.  We did the same when we got the Egg years ago to figure out what it could or shouldn't do. There is a Facebook group for the IP - some entries are quite entertaining - some just make you cringe. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Was there another thread where you announced the deal I missed ? 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Sorry, did someone say you can sous vide with a insta pot?
  • HeavyG
    Gym said:
    The specific model that @Photo Egg just bought allows that. Older models like mine don't.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited April 2018
    HeavyG said:
    Gym said:
    The specific model that @Photo Egg just bought allows that. Older models like mine don't.
    I thought, from what I read, it only held 5 degrees tolerance. Ok for medium to high SV but not safe at the lower temps?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Dobie said:
    Not a great sale but I also had a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. This model has not budged in price so $20 was enough to push me in.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    edited April 2018
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    Gym said:
    I thought, from what I read, it only held 5 degrees tolerance. Ok for medium to high SV but not safe at the lower temps?
    I've read comments from users that say the Ultra 60 will hold a temp within 1°F.

But that ability might vary from unit to unit just based on normal manufacturing/components tolerances which may be why officially they say +/- 5°F.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I've come close to pulling the trigger twice on one of these twice in the past 6months, but deferred. I can't seem to find a good spot for it to live in the kitchen. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited April 2018
    I make yogurt in mine all the time. Stain it overnight for Greek yogurt and then bake bread using the whey!

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited April 2018
    That's a world class loaf @GlennM
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Merry HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    Gym said:
    I've read comments from users that say the Ultra 60 will hold a temp within 1°F.

But that ability might vary from unit to unit just based on normal manufacturing/components tolerances which may be why officially they say +/- 5°F.
    Ok. I’m intrigued. 

Howre the reviews on the ultra 60 vs the 80?

we always end up needing the largest size everything around here...

Sur la table is currently 20% off with free shipping. I can stack an additional 10% with my “industry card” discount, making the ultra 80 around $130 pretax...

You got me with the sous vide, btw...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• onedbguru
    We have made ricotta and bread and cinnamon buns and other stuff using the strained whey.   We had lasagna last night made with the homemade ricotta. Turned out really good! 

We have SV'ed filets, ribeyes and even did a 36hr SV cook of a top round and sliced it paper thin for french dip sandwiches.  

I don't think the +/- 5°F is really that big of a deal at long cook times.  Ours was pretty accurate from setting:actual. 
  • Photo Egg
    Merry HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    Gym said:

Ok. I’m intrigued. 

Sur la table is currently 20% off with free shipping. I can stack an additional 10% with my “industry card” discount, making the ultra 80 around $130 pretax...

I could never get the 20% off coupons to work with IP online. They were always excluded in the fine print.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Photo Egg said:
    Dobie said:
    Not a great sale but I also had a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. This model has not budged in price so $20 was enough to push me in.
    Just pulling your chain man, I want one of these  =)
    Jacksonville FL
  • onedbguru
    Merry HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    Gym said:

Ok. I’m intrigued. 

We initially bought the 60, but decided we needed bigger - so now we have the 80 and will probably "gift" the 60 at some point. 
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    What's the strained why do?  Do you just substitute it 1:1 for water in a recipe?
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I ordered one on Amazon about 8 months ago with the extra lid and extra cookbook. After looking at the cookbook i ask my daughter if she ever wanted one. Yes she said and i took all to her in Frisco. Last month we were up there and the pot and extras was in a closet. ask and she said after reading book no real use. I brought it home and 8 months later still never been plugged in. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2018
    @Mickey - if you like Steel Cut Oats, soft boiled eggs or a shredded chicken for tacos just give the IP a try.   

Ive done a black bean chicken enchilada that was real good.  Not egg good but still very edible.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • onedbguru
    baychilla said:
    What's the strained wh[e]y do?  Do you just substitute it 1:1 for water in a recipe?
    Yes, 1:1 whey for water or milk or buttermilk.  Whey is that yellowish liquid when you strain the yogurt which produces a thicker yogurt.  We have also used the whey to marinate chicken in place of buttermilk.  If you make as much as we do (at least 1 recipe/wk - which produces ~nine 5oz containers, it produces 1 to 1-1/2 quarts of whey. 

To make ricotta, it is [equal parts whey and whole milk] + lemon juice and salt. recipes can vary. 

It makes PERFECT hard boiled eggs.  I suppose it would do well with soft boiled as well, but the wife doesn't like them so she doesn't cook them.  Starbucks "egg bites" are easy as well.  Rice turns out really good in less time.

The IP has replaced our steamer, rice cooker and crockpot. They are all out in the garage now. 
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    I love my IP!  It does make the most perfect hard or soft boiled eggs.  I also love that I can put frozen chicken in this thing and fire it up.  It doesn't yield the results like the Egg we all have grown to love and appreciate.  I use my IP mostly in the winter time for heavier, heartier meals but I use it at least once per week - mostly on nights I've worked.  
    I do think there is a bit of  a learning curve and you sometimes have to increase your seasonings on heavier meats to get good flavor.  

Enjoy it!  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • baychilla
    onedbguru said:
    baychilla said:
    What's the strained wh[e]y do?  Do you just substitute it 1:1 for water in a recipe?
    Yes, 1:1 whey for water or milk or buttermilk.  Whey is that yellowish liquid when you strain the yogurt which produces a thicker yogurt.  We have also used the whey to marinate chicken in place of buttermilk.  If you make as much as we do (at least 1 recipe/wk - which produces ~nine 5oz containers, it produces 1 to 1-1/2 quarts of whey. 

To make ricotta, it is [equal parts whey and whole milk] + lemon juice and salt. recipes can vary. 

It makes PERFECT hard boiled eggs.  I suppose it would do well with soft boiled as well, but the wife doesn't like them so she doesn't cook them.  Starbucks "egg bites" are easy as well.  Rice turns out really good in less time.

The IP has replaced our steamer, rice cooker and crockpot. They are all out in the garage now. 
    I'd made yogurt in the IP before (green chile flavored, I have two sealing rings now ) and tossed the whey as I wasn't sure what to replace or at what ratio.  How long does the whey keep.  Also if you marinate the chicken with it, does it give the chicken a tang similar to buttermilk?  Thanks.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    baychilla said:
    What's the strained why do?  Do you just substitute it 1:1 for water in a recipe?
    That’s what I do
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    We have 2 instant pots..Use the small one for rice cooking.. love them both.
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • onedbguru
    baychilla said:
    I'd made yogurt in the IP before (green chile flavored, I have two sealing rings now ) and tossed the whey as I wasn't sure what to replace or at what ratio.  How long does the whey keep.  Also if you marinate the chicken with it, does it give the chicken a tang similar to buttermilk?  Thanks.

Not as much of a tang as buttermilk, but does tenderize it. You can freeze the whey if you would like, but will keep a couple of weeks in the fridge. 

I could see making tzatziki sauce with yogurt, not so much on green chili yogurt. ;)  

• baychilla
    Yeah, thats why I got a second sealing ring now.  I prefer my Greek yogurt to taste of yogurt.
  • onedbguru
    We got the second sealing rings and have one that is red that is used for spicy stuff like butter chicken (Indian spicy curry chicken).  Which, btw turns out really good.  
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    If you like collards, you must try them in the instant pot.  They are so easy to make in the IP and come out perfect every time. 
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Just got one as well...I bought a 3qt...just for the wife and I.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max