Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Had to jump on the Instant Pot sale

2»

Comments

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Did this take on pinto beans in the IP for a potluck Sunday. Put pulled pork in along with the beans, veggies, and spices. Two batches and it was all gone. Lots of compliments. Love this device.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    caliking said:
    I've come close to pulling the trigger twice on one of these twice in the past 6months, but deferred. I can't seem to find a good spot for it to live in the kitchen. 
    That’s EXACTLY why we don’t have one yet. All these devices require shelf or counter space. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    SciAggie said:
    caliking said:
    I've come close to pulling the trigger twice on one of these twice in the past 6months, but deferred. I can't seem to find a good spot for it to live in the kitchen. 
    That’s EXACTLY why we don’t have one yet. All these devices require shelf or counter space. 
    That's what a shelf rack in the garage is for - those useful, yet not daily use, appliances.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Honestly not a fan.  I know I'm an outlier.  Simply doesn't add anything I like valuable to my style of cooking.  Y'all enjoy the pressurized crock pot.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    bgebrent said:
    ......  Y'all enjoy the pressurized crock pot.
    Rice cooker, Sterilizer, Yogurt maker, Steamer, and a few other functions beside crock pot and pressure cooker so I made room for it on the counter.  :)
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    I don't get the love either. I can cook rice, soups, stews and just about everything else in a regular pot and it'll taste better. But I'm never sitting there thinking "Man I wish I could cook this pork shoulder in 30 minutes". 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Polenta (grits), steel cut oats, beans, and RISOTTO. We have made risotto more in the few months we have had the IP than in the last five years - it is that quick, easy, and good. Made a batch last night for a friend, and she is buying an IP today. 

I have not tried anything that I would normally cook on the Egg - it isn't a replacement. I don't sous vide things I cook on the Egg, either. Just my way to roll.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • We use our 8qt IP all the time. Best hard boiled eggs and pot roast ever

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Making leftover beef brisket chili...using the slow cook feature. 
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Pinto beans, no soaking required, 30 minutes (plus time to pressurize and release). And I second the pot roast! Try a cheesecake in the IP! Wonderful!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I am contemplating purchasing one for my husband for Christmas. He has been eyeing one for some time now.
    Living life to the fullest in Savannah Georgia
  • SonVolt
    You don't need to soak beans with or without a pressure cooker. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    SonVolt said:
    You don't need to soak beans with or without a pressure cooker. 
    Right, but you can't cook 'em in 30 minutes either.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SonVolt
    edited November 2018
    I can cook them straight from the bag in 60 minutes in the oven without having to wait around on pressure build/release. Plus I get evaporation which results in better flavor.