Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti Caved. Gutless.

Options

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Seems like a perfect opportunity for another cooler company.

Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,102
    Options
    Just like I buy from Penzey no matter his stance, I will still buy from Yeti .... well, I would if they were not so over priced.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Just like I buy from Penzey no matter his stance, I will still buy from Yeti .... well, I would if they were not so over priced.

I like the Yeti cups better than RTIC (I've got both).  The coolers though... pretty tough to justify double the price - I've got RTIC only.'
    Phoenix 
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Maybe I might join the NRA now, never owned or intend to own a gun, but anything that crowd is against must be good.

• Jcpeewee
    Jcpeewee Posts: 7
    Options
    It’s gonna hurt them. A lot of sportsman buy that overpriced cooler and there are many other options out there now. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Well I won’t throw away my 20 ounce mug. If I ever feel a need for an expensive cooler I hear RTIC makes a nice one. Someone is always available to take business that you don’t want.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Delta screwed themselves by cutting ties.......we'll see.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    But when the NRA is silenced who will speak for your 2cnd amendment rights? Since I don't fly, I have no idea if they will suffer or not. I do imagine that people do not always have a choice in which air plane is heading where they need to go. As to Yeti, many of their mugs are given out as gifts and many of their coolers are prizes in drawings. How many people will make different decisions about such purchases remains to be seen. They do have readily available alternatives though, like I could always buy a red egg instead of a green one.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Not all sportsmen are nra guys. I’ve hunted and fished my whole life and have a safe full of guns. NRA does not speak for me. 

Delta revenue will will go down by 0%. Yeti has a tough road ahead but only by lower priced competition. 

Agreed, but it wasn't the revenue...........it was the fuel tax exemption they missed out on since they PO'd a bunch of Georgia legislators at the last minute. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/01/business/delta-nra-georgia.html

• derka123
    derka123 Posts: 102
    Options
    Most people I know that own their overpriced merchandise are die hard outdoors people, hunters, etc, people that take the second amendment seriously. I hope this comes back to bite them!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    GrillSgt said:

Say what!?

"There are no peoples that are more alike than Americans and Russians," Keene said. "We're hunters. We're shooters. We value the same kinds of things." Keene underscored his friendship with Alexander Torshin, a top politician in the ruling party of Vladimir Putin; for the past three years, Keene said, "I've hosted your senator Alexander Torshin at the National Rifle Association's annual meetings." In words that now carry a darker connotation, Keene insisted, "We need to work together."
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Political leanings aside, YETI is unlikely to survive unless it obtains exclusive rights with a group like the NFL  or it collaborates with weber or another  company that augments its products...

Yeti was the first, or at least perceived to be the first and best known premium cooler line.  But, in macroeconomics 101 firms will enter an industry segment until it becomes saturated and unprofitable.  If yeti figures out how to maintain their premium pricing in an increasingly crowded business, more power to them.  I dont think taking a political stand against the nra is the answer since most anti gun people tend to be liberals and liberals want everthng for free. Education, healthcare, food, housing, obama phones etc...

Bge is expensive but lifetime warranty and incredible support with a sense of community have kept me loyal . Im unsure if yeti can replicate this.

No pun intended but kmart's decison to stop selling was it bullets or certain weapons after michael more did his video with them backfired    kmarts failure isnt because of this one decision but rather its failure to adapt to a discount retailer landscape being populated by wal mart, dollar general etc..,political moves are never a long term answer

Yeti is probably headed down the same path and itll take more than a stand agaist the nra to keep people buyin $200 coolers for $400

Now maybe if they had a yeti female butting campaign on college campuses :they might get a boost in sales, but then thatll offend feminists for objectifying women..,

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS POISON
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Wait, are you saying a special interest group put their agenda ahead of ‘merica but hardly anybody realizes it because they’re really good at scaring people?
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    No

What i am saying is that business in a competitive environment with relatively weak brand recognition that use a political agenda to help 'save' their business are generally screwed....yeti attempted to sue, rtic  adapted and sales increased for rtic.   Yeti losing market share is being reacted to now in a desperate attempt to  recover or expand sales related to this NRA decision is unlikely to jolt sales

And i am not a member of the nra, nor do i send them support.  I am saying that yeti would be better off lowering prices and doing some collaborative marketing with weber, cabelas, nfl, etc,

Their products simply cost too much and the more they dance around the issue with gimmicks and political stuntsmanship and call it something else, the more lost sales they will incur...
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Political leanings aside, YETI is unlikely to survive unless it obtains exclusive rights with a group like the NFL  or it collaborates with weber or another  company that augments its products...

Yeti was the first, or at least perceived to be the first and best known premium cooler line.  But, in macroeconomics 101 firms will enter an industry segment until it becomes saturated and unprofitable.  If yeti figures out how to maintain their premium pricing in an increasingly crowded business, more power to them.  I dont think taking a political stand against the nra is the answer since most anti gun people tend to be liberals and liberals want everthng for free. Education, healthcare, food, housing, obama phones etc...

Bge is expensive but lifetime warranty and incredible support with a sense of community have kept me loyal . Im unsure if yeti can replicate this.

No pun intended but kmart's decison to stop selling was it bullets or certain weapons after michael more did his video with them backfired    kmarts failure isnt because of this one decision but rather its failure to adapt to a discount retailer landscape being populated by wal mart, dollar general etc..,political moves are never a long term answer

Yeti is probably headed down the same path and itll take more than a stand agaist the nra to keep people buyin $200 coolers for $400

Now maybe if they had a yeti female butting campaign on college campuses :they might get a boost in sales, but then thatll offend feminists for objectifying women..,

The only thing here that I could disagree with is the cost of the cooler, Yeti coolers cost at most $50 to produce, they long ago paid off the R&D expense of the technology, they are raking in the cash at this point.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    It's a business decision. Politically or monetary motivated doesn't really matter at the end of the day. It's their business and their decision. They still have to answer to shareholders. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    It's a business decision. Politically or monetary motivated doesn't really matter at the end of the day. It's their business and their decision. They still have to answer to shareholders. 

It is intetesting, they are publicly traded since 2016.  I wonder if the board made the descision.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I really can’t believe how the right has embraced Russia. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Not all sportsmen are nra guys. I’ve hunted and fished my whole life and have a safe full of guns. NRA does not speak for me. 

Delta revenue will will go down by 0%. Yeti has a tough road ahead but only by lower priced competition. 

Agreed, but it wasn't the revenue...........it was the fuel tax exemption they missed out on since they PO'd a bunch of Georgia legislators at the last minute. 

And now Georgia also has to consider the blowback that might be coming their way.

How many corporations might choose to avoid expanding/relocating business operations into the state? Did Amazon already scratch Atlanta off their list for HQ2?

Also, thanks to a SCOTUS precedent in a case (Minneapolis Star & Tribune Co. v Commissioner of Revenue) decided a few decades ago, perhaps Delta will sue Georgia over that legislation that specifically targets/singles them out.

On the other hand tho, I don't think governments should be doling out tax breaks to specific entities anyway so part of me wants to applaud the Georgia snowflakes legislators for not handing out yet more corporate welfare.

On the other, other hand, I'm betting that once emotions calm down Delta will get their tax break by the end of they year anyway.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options

Did you say Yeti female?

Michiana, South of the border.
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    By saying Yeti "caved" aren't you insinuating that that were under some kind of pressure to cut their ties to the NRA? I haven't heard of any co ordinated pressure being brought to bear upon Yeti, but I could be wrong.  And you don't have to want to repeal the 2nd Amendment to not agree with the tone of some of the rhetoric of some of the NRA tv spots I have seen. This is just an opinion, but I am not a fan of ever increasing scare messages that they choose to produce. Oh, and Yeti is overpriced compared compareable products.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Good point. Forgot about that. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Standing up for your beliefs and risking your business is not gutless. Stupid possibly but certainly not gutless. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Can’t say I’d buy Yeti at their prices when RTIC is available, but given the same price now I wouldn’t buy Yeti because of this. Adding to my list of companies I will not buy from. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • stlcharcoal
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm kind of curious how this fits into anti-trade practices.  While it's legal for consumers to boycott a business, people in business or businesses are not allowed to launch a boycott against another business.  I remember this from REALTOR continuing education years ago.  The example was there was yard sign company an agent didn't like, so they tried to get a bunch of other agents together to boycott the place and run them out of the real estate sign business.  This was fell under the anti-trade and was illegal.

So it's not like YETI was giving them the products--the NRA sold a lot of NRA logo'd yeti's on the website and in the Christmas catalog.   Or maybe they were......I don't know.  But if they're refusing to sell them to the NRA or jacking up the price just to run them off, that's another story.  Both have plenty of lawyers, so it's probably a done deal and legal.

This was against the NRA Foundation which is technically separate from the NRA, so not sure how that fits in......they give money for training, shooting sports, etc.  None of the Foundation money goes for political lobbying.