Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef

Options
F3DAWG
F3DAWG Posts: 98
My wife and I are going to see our daughter and her friends next weekend at Clemson before exams start. One of her friends doesn't eat pork, so I decided to make pulled beef today to take with us next weekend. I used a 9 lbs chuck roast. Cooked it just like a butt, but pulled it when it passed the toothpick test. 

We had to sample it to make sure it was right before putting it in the freezer for next weekend. Pulled beef sliders with slaw and pickled onions on King Hawaiian rolls.  I will definitely be making pulled beef again in the near future. 

Summerville, SC

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Pulled beef for the win.  Yours looks real good!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Looks great!!  I've been wanting to do a clod along one of my big pork cooks soon.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    That looks great... and I’m going to try that
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Looks like a winner, for sure.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    That's a manly chuckie right there.  Way to bring it home.  Congrats.
    BTW- you could enjoy all week and just save a few ounces for the starving students.  =)  They would inhale any home-cooked groceries.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Not sure if you can hear my slow clap through the interwebs .... but rest assured it’s happening 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks fantastic!  I've made pulled beef a number of times, but it's always been with a combination of dry smoking, like a pork butt, but then also a braise with some sort of liquid, as in the Pepper Stout Beef recipe, "Clay's Pulled Beef," and one @NonaScott came up with.  I don't think it ever occurred to me to just smoke it like a pork butt and not braise it at all.  It sounds really good!  Don't know why it never occurred to me.  I may have to try it.  Great job!
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Looks fantastic!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • SuperCooper
    Options
    What internal temp do you cook it to for it to pull if you smoke it like a butt?
    Greenville, SC Large BGE est. December 2013
  • F3DAWG
    Options
    What internal temp do you cook it to for it to pull if you smoke it like a butt?
    I cooked it to 165 then wrapped it. Then cooked it to 195 before I started checking it with a toothpick. Pulled it when the toothpick felt like I was pushing it through warm butter.
    Summerville, SC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @F3DAWG - Way to embrace the toothpick.  That test is a sure fire way to find the finish-line for many cooks and it really excels with rib cooks.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    F3DAWG said:
    I cooked it to 165 then wrapped it. Then cooked it to 195 before I started checking it with a toothpick. Pulled it when the toothpick felt like I was pushing it through warm butter.
    Do you know what the temp was when you finally reached the warm butter status with the toothpick?
    Stillwater, MN
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    F3DAWG said:
    Do you know what the temp was when you finally reached the warm butter status with the toothpick?
    I wasn't there, but in my experience it's usually around 215*.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • F3DAWG
    Options
    F3DAWG said:
    @DMW is spot on.
    Summerville, SC
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    One of many cooks I’ve yet to try.  I think your post might just accelerate my attempt.  Looks awesome!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    DMW said:
    F3DAWG said:
    I wasn't there, but in my experience it's usually around 215*.
    You weren’t there because you were blind, bulletproof, and invisible at BBIII. Nice cook @f3dawg, I’ve done PSB many times but I’m going to have to try this. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Those sliders look delicious brother! I've done roast beef po boys with chuck roasts and they always turn out great!
    LBGE
    AL
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    you had me at 9lb chuck roast

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Always good and your looks great!

NW IA