Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Security cameras recommendation

leemschu
leemschu Posts: 609
I’m sure many of you have seen my post about my dog being poisoned and want to thank everyone for their responses. I am now looking at security systems with cameras before I bring anything up to the neighbor I believe responsible. I am looking at Nest for their outdoor cameras they are just a little expensive. Does anyone have any experience with any systems with outdoor cameras?
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• Arlo Cameras at best buy are really good.  Caught my neighbor with them.  They are motion activated and send you alerts to your phone.  Really easy to set up.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • leemschu
    Arlo Cameras at best buy are really good.  Caught my neighbor with them.  They are motion activated and send you alerts to your phone.  Really easy to set up.
    I have not seen these that’s what I’m looking for is something to notify me on my phone.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • I have a ring doorbell and am going to get a ring floodlight cam for the back of the house.
    same deal get notifications on your phone when motion sets them off

Dallas tX XLBGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Arlo Cameras at best buy are really good.  Caught my neighbor with them.  They are motion activated and send you alerts to your phone.  Really easy to set up.
    Any monthly fees with that particular setup?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho said:
    Any monthly fees with that particular setup?

If I am not mistaken, the first month is free then after that it is like 12.99 a month or something like that.  I didn't use that service.  I think it was so that they could store any footage you wanted to keep for a long period of time. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited April 2018
    I use Yi cameras available on Amazon. Has a nice little phone app and Windows App. Add SD cards and it will record motion, etc. or they offer a cloud subscription service. 

This is the app for Windows.

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    I have had arlos in the past (loved them when functional) but went through two different complete sets of them that failed on two different occasions so I swapped all of them out for the nest iq outdoor cameras and couldn’t be happier with them. Facial recognition, tracking features, great app integration. Have worked flawless for me personally. I know lots of folks that have the arlos and love them, and I enjoyed them when they worked but personally gave up on them after two different sets failed within a few month period.  Also have the ring doorbell (nest hello wasn’t available when I made this purchase) and I enjoy it quite a bit so I’m sure their other products are quite nice too. 

Just my two cents!

Brandon - Ohio

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    edited April 2018
    I like ring. I have the doorbell, 5 spotlights, and 4 floodlights. I can see every every corner of my property. I use it mostly to see if covers have blown off a grill. Then I send a kid to bring them in. Last night I had my 9 yr old bring in the akorn so it didn’t collect water during an upcoming snow storm. The important stuff matters. Security cameras are about bbq. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Consider installation issues/options too. I didn't like that the Arlo system had batteries that would need to be changed every few months. For a hardwired system, you'll need to run wiring to each camera. 

Costco was selling a bundle of 2 Ring cams with solar panels, which I thought was a nice workaround.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    I've been researching this topic as well. I've been seriously considering "Blink" home security cameras. Theyre developing a more robust home security package, that's soon to be released. 
    Pratt, KS
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    edited April 2018
    I have Ring. It is a very useful and mostly hands off solution with a cloud storage option. One area I felt Ring was lacking was in video quality. All of my Ring cams are wide angle which is great for overall view but not so great for details like faces/license plates, etc. I therefore supplemented my Ring system (two floodlights, and a Pro doorbell) with a prosumer camera from Axis.

It's is pointed down my driveway and gets high res footage of anyone coming/going. The downside is you have to install/manage software to use it and to do useful stuff like motion detection, tracking, etc.

The other system to look at is Nest. I think they are stronger on indoor cameras but they have some nice features and good ease of use.

I looked at Arlo but ruled them out for the battery aspect. All my cameras are hard wired.
    Mountain View, CA
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    I have an outdoor Nest camera and I really like the quality of its recording. I have the 10 day history plan for $100/year, but they recently added a 5-day plan for $50/year. Pretty hard to beat IMHO.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    My entire house is spray foamed so the thought of trying to run hard wire anywhere gives me a bad feeling. 

I guess i could tuck it in under the trim. 

Who should I use for hardwired type? Cat5 ones would be easiest? I considered calling a local security place. I live way out in the boonies, closest police station is a good 25 minute drive

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    edited April 2018
    I have the Arlo kit and love it. It takes some tweaking to get every angle right but once set up it's great. I put two on each corner of my house so I can see every window. I would advise getting at least the Pro so you can get the rechargeable batteries. The original Arlo cameras have to be removed to replace batteries where the Pros do not. Also for very active cameras the solar panel is a must or you will be charging every month or so. Don't buy the total amount of cameras right from the start because they offer refurbs in their forums to current owners for a nice discount.

If you don't have trees or bushes right near them I could see the batteries lasting for months on end.

Netgear also sells a motion light that can auto trigger cameras that you set it to which is a nice trick too.

By the way when you catch the bastard that did that to your dog make sure you kick em once or twice extra for me.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited April 2018
    Maybe try a game/trail camera? Something like this.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/BUSHNELL-B-MP-TRAIL-CAMERA/2536658.uts?productVariantId=5241689&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04837890&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbJ-aqXr09HPLfO9cmTb-IwCaVGU26CKKt-832V8pBYScMUZ-RJGOoUaAg-vEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are battery operated but the batteries last a long time and you can position them almost any where. I have a different brand that can shoot video or still photos and the resolution is amazing. Night or day.

Mine is a reconyx, a little pricier but it doesn't miss anything. I get a whole year plus out of a set of lithium batteries.

BTW, if you go this route get one with infrared flash. It's invisible to humans which makes it more stealth.

This is what I have for reference. 

http://www.reconyx.com/product/HC600-HyperFire-High-Output-Covert-IR
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    I have both the Nest Outdoor Camera at my front door and the Arlo Pro 4 Pack all around the outside of the house, all working with Wink.  If any camera senses motion all my outdoor lights turn on.

The Arlo service is free for the first 5 cameras.  
  • leemschu
    I have had arlos in the past (loved them when functional) but went through two different complete sets of them that failed on two different occasions so I swapped all of them out for the nest iq outdoor cameras and couldn’t be happier with them. Facial recognition, tracking features, great app integration. Have worked flawless for me personally. I know lots of folks that have the arlos and love them, and I enjoyed them when they worked but personally gave up on them after two different sets failed within a few month period.  Also have the ring doorbell (nest hello wasn’t available when I made this purchase) and I enjoy it quite a bit so I’m sure their other products are quite nice too. 

Just my two cents!
    OhioEgger said:
    I have an outdoor Nest camera and I really like the quality of its recording. I have the 10 day history plan for $100/year, but they recently added a 5-day plan for $50/year. Pretty hard to beat IMHO.
    I have both the Nest Outdoor Camera at my front door and the Arlo Pro 4 Pack all around the outside of the house, all working with Wink.  If any camera senses motion all my outdoor lights turn on.

The Arlo service is free for the first 5 cameras.  
    For those of you with the nest outdoor. Did you install yourself? I’m not really handy with wiring or anything but thought about having a pro install them. I am interested in the IQ at least for one or 2 or them. Also it claims to have “night vision” how quality is the video at night?
    Dyersburg, TN
  • leemschu
    I like ring. I have the doorbell, 5 spotlights, and 4 floodlights. I can see every every corner of my property. I use it mostly to see if covers have blown off a grill. Then I send a kid to bring them in. Last night I had my 9 yr old bring in the akorn so it didn’t collect water during an upcoming snow storm. The important stuff matters. Security cameras are about bbq. 

How do you feel about the floodlights?
    Dyersburg, TN
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Maybe try a game/trail camera? Something like this.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/BUSHNELL-B-MP-TRAIL-CAMERA/2536658.uts?productVariantId=5241689&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04837890&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbJ-aqXr09HPLfO9cmTb-IwCaVGU26CKKt-832V8pBYScMUZ-RJGOoUaAg-vEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are battery operated but the batteries last a long time and you can position them almost any where. I have a different brand that can shoot video or still photos and the resolution is amazing. Night or day.

Mine is a reconyx, a little pricier but it doesn't miss anything. I get a whole year plus out of a set of lithium batteries.

BTW, if you go this route get one with infrared flash. It's invisible to humans which makes it more stealth.

This is what I have for reference. 

http://www.reconyx.com/product/HC600-HyperFire-High-Output-Covert-IR
    Holy smokes that baby is pricey, don’t know where you live but does it stay outside all year in cold weather too?  My browning quit
    after one ohio winter. 

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited April 2018
    Anyone try Blink XT?

Batteries last much longer than Arlos. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    edited April 2018
    We went with POE and POE+ cameras, mostly dome Dahua's powered by Ubiquity 802.3af switches. The software NVR is Blue Iris ($60) running on an older HP laptop. 

Hardwired is the best way to go. We, too have insulation packed walls. I ran my Cat 5e from a switch in one of our closets to the attic, then down the inside of the office closet in pvc pipe - unless you know it's there you can't see it. Then, from the closet into the garage. From the garage accessed 3 outside locations - driveway, side door and the hardest, the front door. 

The backyard is from the attic down the corner of our bedroom wall in coving - again you can't see it unless you're looking for it. Went to below the floor and after lots of measuring, drilled through the stucco and fished it. 

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I should clarify i built a pole barn house. Framing in weird places. I think I coukd drill into the soffit and pull the whole underside trim off and have it wide open. I can mount the switch or whatever in the attic. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    What ever you decide, go with quality equipment. You won't be disappointed.  

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    JNDATHP said:
    What ever you decide, go with quality equipment. You won't be disappointed.  

Pretty similar to my network. Same AP. Once I had PoE for the AP it made sense to get a PoE cam (Axis).
    Mountain View, CA
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I got a wired POE Cat5 system I still need to finish installing. Front porch was going to be hell to get wire to so I went with Arlo Pro cameras and a Ring doorbell. The Arlo has been great so far. Be aware that the range is not great. And cloud video is free for up to 5 cameras. You are better off buying a second system if you need more cameras. Install is simple. Been running for 5 months and still have 35% on the lowest one. You can add solar panels to them, even the cheaper off-brand ones will work. The wind and some flying bugs have been setting them off lately. I might turn down the sensitivity. Usually it's deer in the front yard setting them off. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    leemschu said:
    I have not seen these that’s what I’m looking for is something to notify me on my phone.
    Just be careful what you wish for. I have a buddy at work that gets 50 texts or emails a day from that thing. Every time I see him he’s looking at a video of a cat, or a bird, or a squirrel , yard man, Mail man, wind blowing stuff around, you name it. All day.  It’s  actually become a running “office “ (work in an operating room) joke. He’s quite annoyed with it at this point and when at first I thought it was cool, This has deterred me from buying one. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • I use Ubiquiti... I am really happy with it
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    edited April 2018
    zmodo systems are fairly solid, I picked mine up on EBAY...I received 16 cameras w/ a 1TB system for ~500 bucks 4/5 years ago...it still running solid today...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• leemschu
    etherdome said:
    leemschu said:
    Just be careful what you wish for. I have a buddy at work that gets 50 texts or emails a day from that thing. Every time I see him he’s looking at a video of a cat, or a bird, or a squirrel , yard man, Mail man, wind blowing stuff around, you name it. All day.  It’s  actually become a running “office “ (work in an operating room) joke. He’s quite annoyed with it at this point and when at first I thought it was cool, This has deterred me from buying one. 
    Yeah that’s why I’m looking at the Nest IQ. It’s supposed to cut some of this out. Different recognition software.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,359
    Yes, I have blink at my home and my vacation home. Works great, no fees, batteries last 2 years, no wiring and very easy install. App lists both homes. Highly recommended. I get notifications and free cloud storage 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario