Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Rig - 1st Cook 19 lb brisket

R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
My XL Adjustable Rig arrived a few weeks ago and I finally got a chance to break it in.  I asked my wife to pick up a brisket for me and after exchanging some texts, photos, and ultimately a phone call to discuss what to look for (and I wonder why she hates it when I ask her to pick up meat), she brought home this brisket on Fri the 13th:

I didn't get a chance to cook it until last night into this morning.  Got it trimmed up:

Fired up the XL and set up the Rig for the cook:

Brisket at 7:30 AM today before  & after wrapping it in pink butcher paper:

Pulled it when the flat probed tender and let it sit in my RTIC for a 3 hour rest.  After the rest, I took it out and sliced it up.

Lunch was good!  Thx for looking.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    That's a beauty, drooling.  Can't beat Costco prime brisket for the price
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Eggcellent looking Briskie, nice job.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks like your wife picked a winner. Way to break in the Adj Rig!
    I keep scratching the photos trying to smell them...No luck.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    R2Egg2Q said:

That's a beaut right there!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Great work.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Way to bring it home.  Nailed that cook.  Congrats. 
    BTW- I'm sure you addressed meat floppiness when working on the tell-tale traits  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Great color!! 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Beautiful.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Great photography skills , love the color and bark 
    Dallas, TX

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Nicely done!  Brisket looks amazing.  I forgot how pretty the AR looks new out of the box.  You'll have it blackened up in no time.  It may be time for a Costco brisket run...
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • R2Egg2Q
    lousubcap said:
    Way to bring it home.  Nailed that cook.  Congrats. 
    BTW- I'm sure you addressed meat floppiness when working on the tell-tale traits  ;)
    Thanks! I tried to keep my “what to look for in a brisket” simple for her.  A lot easier to go over with her when she got home with it.  She was receptive.  I was expecting her to tell me to shop for brisket on my own.  :)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Nicely done!  Brisket looks amazing.  I forgot how pretty the AR looks new out of the box.  You'll have it blackened up in no time.  It may be time for a Costco brisket run...
    Thanks!  

Yes, the AR and Woo looked so pretty out of the box!

Thanks all for the kind words!

Bay Area, CA