Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cultural Appropriation Sunday. And other stuff

2»

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    caliking said:
    Wolfpack said:
    Man- those carrots had me crying. 

Hell of a spread as always. 

Cali- interested in your dosa recipe. 

He buys the goo from an Indian Auntie in his neighborhood. #cheating

He is good with the mechanics of it though. It’s not as easy as it looks.

The carrots were pretty hilarious. 
    Yep. I can drive a few mins from the house and buy homemade dosa batter from a couple of places. Sort of like the sketchy parking lot meat deals, but slightly more legit. 

@Wolfpack -  Getting the grind right for the fermented rice batter is tricky. Not just a question of fermenting rice and throwing it in a food pro, but I've heard that folks have had luck with Blendtec or Vitamix blenders. Peeps from the motherland usually bring lawnmower-engine grade "mixies" with them for this sort of stuff. 

The batter is only half the story though. There is a technique to making the crepe-like dosa, which I have been working on to learn in the past few months. We make dosa about weekly now. Game was slightly off today, because of the wind and trying to maintain the griddle temp just right. Turned out pretty good though, and we enjoyed them.

Happy to share the technique I have figured out so far, and bore you with the details :)

Have you considered getting a wet grinder to make your dosa goo?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Damn, that all looks phenomenal. You folks plan on repeating that at BB correct?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • R2Egg2Q said:
    Looks like a fantastic time with great eats! So what made the punch joyful?  =)
    Bourbon
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    HeavyG said:  
    Have you considered getting a wet grinder to make your dosa goo?
    I've heard of folks using those. But I can also confirm that the local aunties know how to use them too :) I'm good with that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Looks amazing!  All the food and friends, very cool.

One issue.  Grilled Avocado! Sacrilege.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Looks like a fantastic time with great eats! So what made the punch joyful?  =)
    Bourbon
    Joyful indeed
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Not sure how I missed this yesterday. Gawjus...just Gawjus. You can’t beat great friends, food and beverages! Cheers to you all!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow