Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburger help

I was talking with a friend of mine and fellow Egg’r. He asked if there was anything I had a hard time cooking. While I was thinking, he goes “I can’t cook a juicy burger to save my life”. I agreed with him whole heartedly. I thought it was just me that struggled with something so simple as a good, juicy, burger. I use 80/20 and have tried adding EVOO, tried Fish sauce, tried ice chips in the middle and they are OK, but nothing really that I would say was outstanding.  I’m getting ready to cook some shortly, so if anyone has any tips, I’d really appreciate hearing them.

THANKS!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited April 2018
    Get you a piece of cast iron and make smash burgers. 

You will never go back. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    I added an egg off a suggestion from this forum and have always had great ones since then. And although it’s blasphemy on here and the only thing I can say it for, they typically come out just as well (or better) on my gas grill vs the egg *ducks*

I make mine like follows:

-80/20 ground chuck (1.5 lb)

-2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

-1 egg

-1/2 Lipton onion soup package

-1 tablespoon Texas Pete 

-Rub of choice (I like DP Raising the Steaks or Hardcore Carnivore right now)

Never thought an egg would make hat much difference but it does IMO.

Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Our usual process is to make 1/3 pound patties.  Have to be careful to not handle the meat too much or it tends dry out on the grill.  Don’t ask me why, but it seems to happen.  I form the patties, give them a generous shake of of garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt and coarse grind black pepper.  I heat the Egg to 400 - 450 degrees and grill the burgers direct for 5 minutes a side with the dome closed.  I usually keep a spray bottle of water on hand to combat any flare-ups that might happen when I open the dome.  I’ve started to use a foil covered 1/2 ceramic stone on the lower ring of the XL Woo to create an indirect zone to shift the burgers to as they approach being done.  

I know food food safety guidelines say that ground meat should be cooked to 165 degrees IT, but we typically eat our burgers medium.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632

You will never go back. 

Havent made them before. Are they just burgers you press once they hit the pan

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Well, not sure what to say to help.  You're using 80/20 already.  Fresh ground or the tubes?  I think the tube beef is less than the best quality.

My way (when not making smashburgers) is to go indirect until about 135/140.  Then sear over direct flame.  I add nothing other than salt and pepper.  Always juicy.  

Phoenix 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I can't say that burgers are my favorite Egg cook.  Part of the problem is my own paranoia: the key to juicy burgers is lots of fat (at least 20%) AND cooking them medium-rare.  My problem with that is the small but non-zero risk of getting desperately sick from nasty bacteria in undercooked ground beef.  I plan to try grinding my own burger, which will lower that risk, and maybe even trying sous vide first.  But I really think that if you're using 80/20 beef and your burgers aren't juicy, they just about have to be overcooked.

My other problem with burgers on the Egg is that those nice fatty burgers can generate a lot of unpleasant burned fat smoke as that fat drips down onto the coals.  I try not to buy a lot of accessories, but I finally decided to try Grill Grates, hoping that they'd trap some of the melted fat, and I'm happy to say that they do, so there's less of that burned-fat flavor, and I'm happier with my Egged burgers, now.

I also keep thinking of trying smoked burgers.  It sounds crazy to me, but I've seen people swear by them, and I have to try it, one of these days.  They're cooked low-and-slow for a really long time (I forget how long, but I think it was more than an hour).  I can't picture it.  The burgers I love the most are pretty charred on the outside and pink and juicy in the inside.  But some people swear by these.  I have to try it sometime.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Just make sure you pull by internal temp of 145 and you have great burgers. The egg doesn’t dry food out, but over cooking will 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I agree with @Theophan. You're either cooking them too long or too hot. You can try making them thicker. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I’ve got two in the egg ad I type. 
    Not smash - style but I do use a cast iron pan. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Don’t overwork the meat, use 80:20 and don’t over cook the burgers.  That’s all there is to it.  Past MR is moving towards dry.  Good luck brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653

You will never go back. 
    +1
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Did a smash burger and my wife who is pretty blunt about things, just informed me, those are the best burgers I’ve ever made. I had the cast iron pan at 350 and made Meathead’s burger glop. They were delicious!!! 

Ronald Reagan

• Ike
    Ike Posts: 288
    I get temp to 320 or so, place the burgers on outer perimeter of grid.  rotate grid 90* every 5 mins to get even fire on patties.  watch the juice on top of patties...red=rare, clear=med, no juice=too late.  When it looks like the red juice is changing to clear, flip for the one and only time.  Should be a little clear juice when time to take off.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Dang, lots of great-looking burgers in this thread. Good work everyone!
    Stillwater, MN
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    blasting said:

Well, not sure what to say to help.  You're using 80/20 already.  Fresh ground or the tubes?  I think the tube beef is less than the best quality.

My way (when not making smashburgers) is to go indirect until about 135/140.  Then sear over direct flame.  I add nothing other than salt and pepper.  Always juicy.  

I've always been under the impression that the ground beef in the trays was the same as whats in the tubes. The butcher opens the tubes and regrinds the meat before placing in the trays.
    I could be wrong, but that's what the meat guy at Sam's told me about the tube beef.
  • UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    I added an egg off a suggestion from this forum and have always had great ones since then. And although it’s blasphemy on here and the only thing I can say it for, they typically come out just as well (or better) on my gas grill vs the egg *ducks*

-1 egg

-1 tablespoon Texas Pete 

That's not a burger. That's meatloaf! =)
    Lol yeah can’t really argue with that 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    little steak sauce, a little worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon of turbinado sugar, and ~ 3 tablespoons of mayo...let it ride to a medium/medium well...

drop the mic...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

-1 egg

-1 tablespoon Texas Pete 

I’ve wondered if the only difference is the shape. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Foghorn said:

-1 egg

-1 tablespoon Texas Pete 

I’ve wondered if the only difference is the shape. 
    i cook meatloaf flat in a baking tray and cut it out like brownies ;) soooo...
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Here's a "juiciness" tip. Add gelatin. Make the gelatin as thick as possible, and mix it w. the ground meat. Refrigerate till the gel sets up, and then form the patties. I often use bison, and sometimes yak. Both are very lean, and tend to be dry. Gelatin helps a lot. And whatever is on the surface crisps up.

To boost the effect, blender some onions and press out the juice. Or, if you have some time, make "mushroom ketchup," see this. Use those for the liquid to melt the gel.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    gdenby said:
    Here's a "juiciness" tip. Add gelatin. Make the gelatin as thick as possible, and mix it w. the ground meat. Refrigerate till the gel sets up, and then form the patties. I often use bison, and sometimes yak. Both are very lean, and tend to be dry. Gelatin helps a lot. And whatever is on the surface crisps up.

To boost the effect, blender some onions and press out the juice. Or, if you have some time, make "mushroom ketchup," see this. Use those for the liquid to melt the gel.
    intrigued...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I can honestly say since getting a BGE I've never had a problem with juicy burgers.  80/20 - don't work the meat any more than necessary when forming the patties then 400-450 till 150 IT.  I try not to flip more than a couple times and never press down on the patties with spatula.  Easy as that.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198

-1 egg

-1 tablespoon Texas Pete 

Ha..ha......that's exactly what I was thinking. A couple more ingredients and you've got my meatloaf.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    I had inconsistent results using store bought ground beef.

Now I grind my own with 50/50 chuck and sirloin. Nice juicy buyers every time.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • I go 300 raised direct, 15 mins a side till IT=150.  Seems to be working so far and gives me some extra time to hydrate
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY