Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NC BBQ guy got my eyes on some Texas brisket. Advice

ColAngus
ColAngus Posts: 123
I'm a born n bred Lexington BBQ type of guy. But as I've traveled around I've quickly learned that it's good, but there's lots of other great food out there.

I just got back from Austin TX for the first time and I had some of awesome BBQ brisket (and some burnt ends) and I don't wanna mess with no pork- at least for a while. 

Sorry for the word vomit... what I'm looking for is a few pointers or links to videos that will help. 

Also- is there any Mickey's Turbo version for brisket?!?!? 

Comments

• Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    You made me think of a quote from John Oliver on the Daily Show where he ranked BBQ styles:

1. Texas BBQ
    2. Kansas City BBQ
    3.  No BBQ
    4.  Carolina BBQ

=) 

But seriously, go to YouTube and search for Franklin BBQ videos, he gives all the best info.  I'd also recommend searching the forum and look for brisket masters like Cen-Tex.  Good luck!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    PM sent that may give you a solid base-line.  I recall that @Mickey has done turbo brisket but I can't help beyond that.  Maybe the forum ping will elicit a response.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

TURBO  BRISKET

BUY PRIME BRISKET AT COSTCO 

DIRECT AT 300

HALF DOZ OAK CHUNKS

BUTT RUB IS GOOD

CUT OUT ALL HARD FAT

TRIM BOTTOM FAT TO 1/2 INCH

INJECT WITH BEEF BROTH

COOK FAT SIDE DOWN FOR 4 HOURS

PUT IN ALUM PAN WITH FOIL TOP AND 

START PROBING AFTER AN HOUR IN PAN

COOK TILL PROBES LIKE BUTTER

(14LB COOKED IN A LITTLE OVER 6.5 HOURS)

Rest in a cooler double wrapped in foil and covered with towels or newspaper min 1 hour. Can go longer in cooler as long as temp is over 140 - likely up to 4 hours. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    ColAngus said:

what I'm looking for is a few pointers or links to videos that will help. 

BBQ with Franklin was a PBS show featuring the man himself.  Watch his videos.  He covers trimming, seasoning, wrapping, etc.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    @Mickey I’m curious about this turbo brisket as I don’t like to do overnight cooks. In the covered foil pan part, do you not need to put any liquid in? Also is it just one injection in the point or flat?
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    @Mickey I’m curious about this turbo brisket as I don’t like to do overnight cooks. In the covered foil pan part, do you not need to put any liquid in? Also is it just one injection in the point or flat?
    Like you i do NOT cook overnight anymore. Sold and gave away all wiring/ computers etc... No liquid in pan. Inject all the beef broth you can all over the brisket. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ColAngus
    THANK YOU FOLKS!!!!
  • ColAngus
    With this long, long cook- how many of you use a temperature control doohickey? 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    ColAngus said:
    With this long, long cook- how many of you use a temperature control doohickey? 
    I don't.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Another "don't with a controller".  But I do fire up the BGE a good 2-3 hours in advance of loading the protein so everything is stable at the start of the cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Gonna try this...I have a controller but the most fun cooking brisket is enjoying adult beverages while waiting & I’m way too old for all nighters.  Thanks @Mickey   for sharing your experience with us. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen