Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TEXAS PLANS

SSQUAL612
SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
I know that there are a bunch of fellow eggers who currently reside or have resided in TX and hope to get some ideas on starting a search for property to ultimately have a home built and retire there someday.   I'm from Lake Charles, LA originally and still have some relatives there so it's imperative I'm far enough away where they have to call before stopping by.  :)   I'm thinking SA area or North of Austin, but far enough away where property taxes are too high.  I like Nacogdoches, but SWMBO might get bored so want to be near a reasonable size city. 

I have a good friend who is planning on making the move too so we could split a property if it's decent acreage where I don't have to see him wandering around the backyard in his boxers.  I would like to make it so I won't have anyone behind me for an acre or two and definitely want a gas stove and water heater although I guess a large propane tank is an option.  Definitely don't want to be in the flood prone or low lying areas.   Input is greatly appreciated. 
Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    There are multiple places like that north and west of San Antonio for sure.  Unfortunately, I don't have any specifics for you unless you are looking for a nice, high-end development with 3+ acre lots.  

When I go on realtor.com and look for "land" in and around Boerne (for example) there are over 200 listings.

So, there's no doubt that what you are looking for is out there.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    If you like Nacogdoches, Huntsville may be worth looking at. It is far enough away from Houston to feel like a smaller town, but close enough to outlying cities of the greater Houston area. I went to school at SHSU and loved it. Although, if we still lived in Texas, it would be around SA/Austin. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• SSQUAL612
    Foghorn said:
    There are multiple places like that north and west of San Antonio for sure.  Unfortunately, I don't have any specifics for you unless you are looking for a nice, high-end development with 3+ acre lots.  

When I go on realtor.com and look for "land" in and around Boerne (for example) there are over 200 listings.

So, there's no doubt that what you are looking for is out there.
    Thanks Foghorn...SA is definitely on the list.  I'm easy, but SWMBO is going to have to be close to civilization or at least a Michael's. Move is a little ways out, but I want to at least pinpoint where I'll start searching and purchase property  then I can look for a quality builder and include plans for outdoor kitchen.  I'm shooting for a built in table for 2 XL's with storage, fridge, large sink w hot water and stealing plans from @SciAggie for pizza oven.  Looking forward to breaking bread with you and some fellow eggers someday.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Foghorn
    This place is pricey (by south Texas standards) but is a great area. 

Horse trails and equestrian club

Golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus that won a national award

Two neighborhood parks on the Guadalupe River so you can do a float/tube/kayak/canoe trip without ever leaving your neighborhood

Close enough to Boerne for stuff during the week - dining, shopping, etc.  

Close enough to San Antonio for NBA, Broadway shows, etc.

http://www.cordilleraranch.com/

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SSQUAL612
    edited April 2018
    Foghorn said:

Two neighborhood parks on the Guadalupe River so you can do a float/tube/kayak/canoe trip without ever leaving your neighborhood

Thanks but SWMBO will have to run off with someone else to live there.  If I buy a lot there will they let me live in a 5th wheel?
  • Foghorn
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Foghorn said:

Thanks but SWMBO will have to run off with someone else to live there.  If I buy a lot there will they let me live in a 5th wheel?
    Not if they catch you.  Get a big lot with a lot of trees.

San Antonio, TX

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Dripping Springs, Johnson City, Llano, Comfort, Spring Branch, Blanco, Kerrville, Fredericksburg.   They all fit your criteria.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    SSQUAL612 said:
     I'm thinking SA area or North of Austin, but far enough away where property taxes are too high. 
    Dripping Springs, Johnson City, Llano, Comfort, Spring Branch, Blanco, Kerrville, Fredericksburg.   They all fit your criteria.

Generally the area people are talking about here can be pretty pricey real estate- every one seems to want to have some dirt in this area now days.  All those areas are great to live in- look at areas around the lakes also- Spicewood, LLano, Marble Falls.  If you go N of the city go even further like Salado to find nice homestead lots.

As far as taxes go stay away from the actual city of Austin- they dont ever not vote in a tax increase. 

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • SSQUAL612
    xfire_ATX said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
     I'm thinking SA area or North of Austin, but far enough away where property taxes are too high. 

Generally the area people are talking about here can be pretty pricey real estate- every one seems to want to have some dirt in this area now days.  All those areas are great to live in- look at areas around the lakes also- Spicewood, LLano, Marble Falls.  If you go N of the city go even further like Salado to find nice homestead lots.

As far as taxes go stay away from the actual city of Austin- they dont ever not vote in a tax increase. 

I’m familiar with Salado since I have a friend in Temple.  It’d be close enough to Round Rock which I know SWMBO would like for shopping.  @Village Idiot I remember Llano from our stop at Cooper’s and I hear Fredericksburg is nice.  Thank y’all for the info...I’ll go on google & start searching.
  • Try looking on Har.com - used to be just Houston area, but now is spreading out to Austin, Dallas and further. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • We're in Bastrop which is just east of Austin. Close enough to drive in for dinner on a weeknight if you want to, but far enough away where you can have property where you can't see a neighbor. And there's a Michael's in town.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    The Llano area is close to Austin but still retains some small-town rural atmosphere. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    Was that the real @Village Idiot?

San Antonio, TX

• Village Idiot
    Foghorn said:
    Yep, I lurk once in a while.
    How are you, Brother?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Foghorn said:
    Holy shlt, looks legit. Hope so.  Still looks undead.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn said:
    How are you, Brother?
    Doing very well, thank you.

Unfortunately, I'm so busy with work that I can't make any of the Spring Eggfests.  I haven't seen @Mickey around much.  Do you two still get together regularly?

Your wit is missed around here - at least by me.

San Antonio, TX

• Village Idiot
    Thanks !  I miss you and most of the guys, too.

Mickey and I go to lunch every two weeks or so.  Any more often, and we'd probably kill each other.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• bgebrent

Mickey and I go to lunch every two weeks or so.  Any more often, and we'd probably kill each other.
    I’d call that a healthy relationship.  Good to see you.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2018

We used to go to the range to shoot. But I’m afraid he caught on and stopped going where live ammo was used. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bgebrent
    Mickey said:

We used to go to the range to shoot. But I’m afraid he caught on and stopped going where live ammo was used. 
    Did you ever check out the Sig P320C?  Love it for carry.  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I am in Salado. We are 45 miles south of Waco and 45 miles north of Austin on I-35. Easy to get somewhere.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    We quit going to the gun range because Mickey thought it was the same as Paintball.  They won't let us back in.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Foghorn said:

@Foghorn are you in Boerne? My Nephew has the micro Brewery there.
  • Village Idiot
    Perhaps we should understand what  @SSQUAL612 's budget is.  Wanting to live in a 5th wheel will limit his choices.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• bgebrent
    Perhaps we should understand what  @SSQUAL612 's budget is.  Wanting to live in a 5th wheel will limit his choices.
    You’re looking sickly.
  • Foghorn
    @Hntnhrd, I'm in San Antonio.  My mother-in-law has wintered in Boerne for the last 15+ years so I know my way around it.  Unfortunately, your timing couldn't have been worse.  She moved into our house a few weeks ago because she can no longer care for herself.  

About 17 years ago when Cordillera first opened we went out there on a Saturday and put down money on a lot - thinking we would build on it one day and move there after we paid off our student loans.  We went back two days later and got our money back after we realized just how for out of town it was as that wasn't going to work for a young working couple with two small children.   

We probably should have held on to the lot even after we realized we weren't going to build on it and move there. 

San Antonio, TX

• SSQUAL612
    bgebrent said:
    You’re looking sickly.
    Was being sarcastic with the 5th wheel comment after seeing $250K lots.   Wanted to pick up 10-15 acres w Electric & City Sewer Preferred & Gas preferred for <100K.  Will divide land cost w a friend & want a smaller 2,000-2,500 sq ft home built for $300K if that’s realistic.  
  • bgebrent
    SSQUAL612 said:
    bgebrent said:
    You’re looking sickly.
    Was being sarcastic with the 5th wheel comment after seeing $250K lots.   Wanted to pick up 10-15 acres w Electric & City Sewer Preferred & Gas preferred for <100K.  Will divide land cost w a friend & want a smaller 2,000-2,500 sq ft home built for $300K if that’s realistic.  
    I wish you luck my friend!  In reality I was hoping to keep @Village Idiot engaged as a first gen that would be good for the forum right now.   Best of luck brother.
  • Foghorn
    I haven't priced lots outside of developments for a while, but that should be doable.  

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:
    How are you, Brother?
    Doing very well, thank you.

Unfortunately, I'm so busy with work that I can't make any of the Spring Eggfests.  I haven't seen @Mickey around much.  Do you two still get together regularly?

Your wit is missed around here - at least by me.
    Wit schmit. I miss Gary's cooks. 

There was a red yuzu kosho shrimp cook that I can still see pictures of in my head.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.