Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Post

This is my first post, though I've spent countless hours on here trying to soak up the wisdom since getting my LBGE one week ago.

I've smoked three pork shoulders... the first one tasted great but I took it off waaay too early. The next two were better with the last one cooking overnight last night. Cooked it L&S for 15 hours and to an IT of 205. It was so good!

I've also done one spatchcock style chicken and some BS chicken breasts raised direct after an overnight wet brine. My wife loved the chicken.

I've wanted a BGE for years and am having so much fun breaking it in.

Carrollton, GA with a LBGE

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Strong start! Welcome aboard!
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

Welcome and enjoy the journey.  Looking forward to seeing more of your cooks

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Welcome brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    You're doing GREAT!!!  Wonderful job!

And by the way, many people here agree that there not only is no reason you need to keep the temperature as low as 225°, things actually just seem better, better smoke, better flavor, and no need for overnight cooks, if you just use a higher dome temperature.  250°-275° is my ranger for "low and slow."

I'm not going to bed with an unattended fire burning near my house, especially on a wooden deck!  And it's not necessary.  The smoke flavor will be at least as good if not better when the temp's a little higher.

Lots of people even swear that "turbo" cooks (300°-375°) turn out every bit as good as "low and slow," though I don't usually cook ribs or pork but that hot.

Anyway, welcome, and GREAT JOB!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Welcome to the asylum, freeze your wallet in a block of ice for your own safety.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    DMW said:
    Welcome to the asylum, freeze your wallet in a block of ice for your own safety.
    In your backyard?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Welcome. Nice cooks there.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Welcome Aboard!   I agree with @Theophan  on bumping the temps up to 250 to 275 for low n slow and she’ll purrrr along nicely.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Welcome- great start. This place has some great ideas to push your food boundaries. I recommend trying some of them and you might surprise yourself. 

Guess I need to take my own advice more often :)
    Greensboro, NC
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    DMW said:
    This man, speaks the truth and speaks wise.

@Jpcoolwell
    Welcome to the forum and great start. The initial purchase of the BGE, is, by far, the least expensive aspect of owning a BGE. You have been warned. Wallet genocide ensues.

And it is worth it. Have fun and please continue to post

There are experts for all things BGE on this forum, and all are willing to help. Pretty cool place with very cool folks.

Looking forward to your next cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    DMW said:
    Totally agree with what @DMW said.  But before you put your wallet in the water, and the water in the freezer, you need to 

- Get 2 Thermapens (1 as a back up, in a different color of course)
    - Buy a SMOBOT (I know you have a Flame Boss already, so what)
    - CGS Adjustable Rig 
    - Pizza stone
    - 2 Blackstone Griddles, different sizes of course, but one of them has to be the new 36" version with the grease going out the back.
    - Kick Ash Basket (KAB)
    - Might as well connect with @stlcharcoal, get on his mailing list for lump and get your credit card stored for future purchases of Rockwood
    - Do the same on the SRF website for when they have their sales on brisket
    - Get hold of @RRP and order your replacement gasket now so you have it on hand when that nice new one wears out
    - Get a Yeti or RITC cooler & 30 oz tumbler to hold your adult beverages
    - Stock up on adult beverages
    - Don't forget to get the Roccbox.  Yeah, you have a pizza stone for your XL, what's your point?
    - Just go purchase 2 of every Dizzy rub they have now.  You'll thank me later.
    - Oh, the stainless steel Smokeware cap.  Because.

I think that is it for the time being.  Once the wallet thaws out, someone here will put you through the advanced purchasing course, I'm sure.

Screw it - Might as well go out and get the medium BGE now to go with your nice XL.  

Seriously - have fun, lots of knowledge on this forum even if everyone spends your money without you realizing it!   :)
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    As mentioned, strong start right there.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Welcome to the Eggdiction.  Strong start out of the gate.  I haven't cooked that much food on my egg in a long time.  Guess I am getting lazy.  Keep up the great post and enjoy the egg.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    Welcome and those cooks look great!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    "break in"? You broke it! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Solid first post and welcome to the insanity. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Welcome. Nice to have you around. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Welcome to the forum.  There's a lot of good cooking info shared here and entertainment as well.  It sounds like you've been having fun with your new Egg, with good results.  Sweet!

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Welcome aboard. Don’t listen to all these folks spending your money. The egg makes a great planter or door stop.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2018
    Yes, it does make a good planter. ;)
    But the old fence top rail makes a better door stop. Welcome to the madness. Keep the photos of your cooks coming.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Thanks everybody for the warm welcome. I did order a Kick-Ash basket after reading a lot about it on the forum. And I really want a CGS adjustable rig or PS Woo. Gonna have to wait till my next birthday or Christmas to order anything else haha. 

Planning to cook some wings tomorrow! Bout to go surf the forum for tips.

Thanks again!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163
    @jpcoolwell - At the close of your wing surf endeavor you likely will conclude that there are many ways to cook wings.  So, pick one and go.
    About the only constant is that if you want crispy skin-air dry overnight in the fridge or dust with baking powder before tossing them on.  Above all, have fun.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    @jpcoolwell - At the close of your wing surf endeavor you likely will conclude that there are many ways to cook wings.  So, pick one and go.
    About the only constant is that if you want crispy skin-air dry overnight in the fridge or dust with baking powder before tossing them on.  Above all, have fun.  FWIW-
    Thanks lousubcap. I do like them crispy. I'm sold on brining all types of chicken and will definitely do that with these. The baking powder idea sounds good. Planning to keep it simple this time and toss them with a couple different bottled sauces.