Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XXL redesign

Stopped by a dealer yesterday to purchase my XL to compliment my other XL  =).  While there the dealer told me of a redesigned XXL that is coming out in two weeks.  He said it is much cheaper and weighs less.  We called his distributor together and she confirmed it.  The cooking grid is the same size (29"), but the shape is more like a regular egg and they shaved a bunch of weight that way.  New price for it?  $1999.  I have something to thing about now instead of just buying another XL for $1239.  He is ordering two, one for himself and one for the floor.  So I should be able to see it in person in the next month I would hope.  Anyone else hear anything about this?  I searched but I suck at searching and didn't see anything.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Cool news and you scooped it. First to hear of this.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    stick with another xl.  for 5 extra inches not worth it, especially when you need to get all new accessories, no swapping between two xl grills. 

the 2xl platesetter lists at $299.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Well my plan was to sell the xl if I was going to buy a xxl. But I’ve already decided a second xl is in the mix instead. I have several of your xl accessories already anyway. I still want to see it. We will see :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Well my plan was to sell the xl if I was going to buy a xxl. But I’ve already decided a second xl is in the mix instead. I have several of your xl accessories already anyway. I still want to see it. We will see :)
    it usually takes 6 months to a year once we find out about a new product by bge. would be extremely surprised if you see it in a month, but post pics =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cookingdude555
    it usually takes 6 months to a year once we find out about a new product by bge. would be extremely surprised if you see it in a month, but post pics =)
    Lol, yep you are right. I’d like to think that because the distributor said two weeks that it’s true, but it’s more likely wrong. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    That would be sq in right?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The new XXL looks like a big XL.  They shaved about 6 inches off the base, so it has the huge shallow base like an XL.  I'm curious if they're going to redesign the nest as well, since the dimensions are going to be different.

XXL cooking area -> 672 in2 @ $2920 (or $1999?) = $4.34 (or $2.97) a sq-in
    XL cooking area -> 452 in2 @ $1219 = $2.69 a sq-in
    L cooking area -> 262 in2 @ $889 = $3.93 a sq-in

These numbers don't include the base, plate setter, etc.
    Found the car salesman! Per sq in makes it much easier to justify!!! 
  • cookingdude555
    Agreed. Buying a large is stupid. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    :angry:
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    so my 2 larges were $1.90/sq inch each and my mini was $1.53 /sq inch, all new and delivered =) why did you all wait so long to buy eggs =)
    fukahwee maine

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    That would explain why it's the most popular model. We're all idiots.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • cookingdude555
    Yeah I made a profit selling my larges to fund this second xl venture. Kind of feel bad selling eggs for more than I paid new several years ago. But the market supports it ...
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    tjv said:
    stick with another xl.  for 5 extra inches not worth it, especially when you need to get all new accessories, no swapping between two xl grills. 

A 29” diameter grid is 1.73 times as large as a 22” grate. 
  • zyou11
    zyou11 Posts: 13
    $1999 is the correct list price for the newest XXL which is $1000 less than last years model. I saw one beside an XL and it's a pretty significant difference.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Looks like we're debating the age old adage that size matters.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • tjv
    GrillSgt said:
    tjv said:

A 29” diameter grid is 1.73 times as large as a 22” grate. 
    xl is 24"

220 sq. inches, 82% the size of a large. if money is about the same, what would you rather have an xl and large or a 2xl.  I'll feel fairly certain I know which BGE would like you to have..........

t
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Sorry I thought it was 22”. That makes the cooking area on the xxl 1.5 times larger. (1.49)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    OhioEgger said:
    That would explain why it's the most popular model. We're all idiots.
    Things are starting to become clear. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    First cook I’m thinking should be whole hog :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Confused... the xxl is 17% larger than xl right? 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Post the pictures when you see it. I’m very interested in seeing the difference. 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Yeah but what % bigger is it if measured in metric?  
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Confused... the xxl is 17% larger than xl right? 
    In cooking area, it is 672 sq in vs 452 sq in = 48.6% larger @alaskanassasin

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    im sticking with my large. seen 20 racks spares cooked in one, 10 whole chickens, and a 62 pound pig in a large. seems pretty big for my needs.  how come ive never seen a 150 pound pig cooked in an xl or xxl. seems like alot of wasted space =)
    fukahwee maine

• cookingdude555
    im sticking with my large. seen 20 racks spares cooked in one, 10 whole chickens, and a 62 pound pig in a large. seems pretty big for my needs.  how come ive never seen a 150 pound pig cooked in an xl or xxl. seems like alot of wasted space =)
    I agree with your analysis. I think people are doing it wrong. 
  • tjv
    gotta love numbers.....672, 452, 17, 220, 1.73, 82, 5, 24, 22, 29, 4.34, 2.69, 3.93......

do ya'll know why the 2xl is getting updated.........how about kamado joe is coming out with a bigger big joe..... keeping up with the Jones

t
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    zyou11 said:
    $1999 is the correct list price for the newest XXL which is $1000 less than last years model. I saw one beside an XL and it's a pretty significant difference.
    Pics or it didn't happen!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Bump 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf