Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very sad day, indeed RIP Little Steven (from Stike)

Options

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Man. This just sucks. I never got to meet in person and I regret that now so much. He was a great help and had a lot of good advice to me when I was getting started with the Egg. He invited me to stop in at his place if I was going through Orangeville and I never did which I truly regret. Pretty much as close to a neighbour as you can get on this forum. 

Also to have to go through the loss of their Son and now LS I really feel for his wife. If there is a collection for flowers etc PM me. 

The world used to be a friendlier place....

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Agree, if there is anything that we can do to help the family please let us know or let me know via PM. Happy to donate anything that is needed or would help in any way. Some flowers in the name of the egghead community could be nice. Just a thought. 
    Snellville, GA

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I never had the pleasure of meeting LS but always enjoyed his posts. He was a funny guy and will be missed. Rest in Peace.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    We should do something as a collective.  Great idea.
    Agreed. Something should be sent from the forum. I would love to participate. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I did not know Little Steven, but it sounds like he was one of the good ones.  I hope his family is able to find peace soon.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I agree! I'm not familiar with how to set up a Go Fund Me or some other way to collect money, but count me in! 

I recall a son had special issues...was he the son who passed away recenty? If not then I'd bet LS would appreciate funds going toward his livelihood.

Then perhaps his widow or family members would know a more apporiate tribute.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Options
    Well damn! Always one of my favourite people to catch up with at any eggfest. Just looked up "Little Steven's Satay" in MacGourmet. Shall have to make it soon. 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Kyle if you are reading this our thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and your friends. If there is anything we can do please don’t hesitate to let us know. So very sorry for your loss and tough times.
    Snellville, GA

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    RRP said:
    bgebrent said:
    I agree! I'm not familiar with how to set up a Go Fund Me or some other way to collect money, but count me in! 

I recall a son had special issues...was he the son who passed away recenty? If not then I'd bet LS would appreciate funds going toward his livelihood.

Then perhaps his widow or family members would know a more apporiate tribute.
    Anyone adept at a pathway to foster this?  Please.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I find myself in tears, LS you will be missed. I promise if you make me cook 7 meats on your 7 eggs at the same time, next time I won't throw the fish on the ground.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Little Steven's posts and comments were always good reading. Seemed like a really decent guy. RIP.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    How about putting together a nice remembrance photo album.
    It would be great to gather up the photos from this post and others from all the BGE related events and have a hard cover photo album made. I have never done one myself but have seen albums friends have made and they are very nice.
    I'm pretty good at gathering, editing/correcting images but creativity is not my strong point. I would be happy to work with others on this?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    It would be great to gather up the photos from this post and others from all the BGE related events and have a hard cover photo album made. I have never done one myself but have seen albums friends have made and they are very nice.
    I'm pretty good at gathering, editing/correcting images but creativity is not my strong point. I would be happy to work with others on this?
    Great idea. Kyle said the family are all really enjoying the stories and pictures. They are following the thread and Kyle has signed up for an account so he can respond.  Im messaging the buffalo to see if I can’t get it expedited for him. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    one of those youtube formatted albums would be nice, easier for all to view. no idea how to do that but something like springchicken sets up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I find myself in tears, LS you will be missed. I promise if you make me cook 7 meats on your 7 eggs at the same time, next time I won't throw the fish on the ground.
    Did you guys not have enough meat for all 8 eggs or was one just not in use that day? I think he ended up with 8 at some
    point. 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    oh man, sad to hear this.  LS was always smiling.....willing help and not afraid to give it to you, when needed. Reading through the thread brings back many fond memories of how he brightened the pages around here. He is at peace now, no doubt with a big smile........

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    I have professional video software at home and could edit a piece together to be posted on youtube if desired.  Not sure if you can post pics in a PM to me.  If not, contact me and I’ll forward my email address.  Choosing appropriate music is always a challenge.  I know Steven loved all kinds and was partial to Neil Young, The Band etc.  @The Cen-Tex Smoker perhaps Kyle perhaps could help us out if we choose this route? 

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Man just popped in for a bit to check on you guys and see this very sad news. Never met LS, but he was always there when needed. RIP sir, you will be missed by all. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have professional video software at home and could edit a piece together to be posted on youtube if desired.  Not sure if you can post pics in a PM to me.  If not, contact me and I’ll forward my email address.  Choosing appropriate music is always a challenge.  I know Steven loved all kinds and was partial to Neil Young, The Band etc.  @The Cen-Tex Smoker perhaps Kyle perhaps could help us out if we choose this route? 
    That sounds really cool. Im sure kyle will see this and I have reached out to @The_Buffalo to get his account setup expedited. I’ll pass along any communication back and forth via email in the mean time

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited April 2018
    Options
    That sounds really cool. Im sure kyle will see this and I have reached out to @The_Buffalo to get his account setup expedited. I’ll pass along any communication back and forth via email in the mean time

If I recall correctly, he was a big Jethro Tull Fan. I recall in the "What music are you listening to thread" he stating he had a first pressing of one of their albums. Also was a vinyl collector. Perhaps "Another Harry's Bar"  might be appropriate.

https://youtu.be/xGoz8Oalpqs
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Like many on the forum, I never met LS but do recall his posts. The outpouring of love and respect he is receiving is truly wonderful to read. I wish I knew him like some of y'all. 

R.I.P. and thoughts to his family.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    Never met him in person, but he chimed in on a post I made a few years ago... I had tried to cook a brisket in -5* weather, fire had gone out and my BGE lid had frozen shut.  He informed me that with my timeline the way it was, the brisket may have been in the danger zone too long and was in danger of causing food poisoning and I'd be better off just throwing it out.

Later in the thread, he chimes in again and says if he were in my position, he'd finish the cook, eat some of it and vacuum seal it.  If nothing happened, he'd reheat and serve it to his family.  I wasn't as brave as he was so it got tossed, but I found it funny that he gave the sound, solid advice first and followed up by essentially saying "Well, screw it - try it and if nothing happens to you, serve it up".

Then I read about the chicken stored in his luggage and his reply to me about trying the trying the brisket kind of tied things together.

When I would see his avatar next to a new thread in this forum, I knew it would be good information.

Condolences to his family and friends.  From the posts in this thread it's obvious he will be missed.  RIP
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    I only met him once when he, RGBHV, Cannugghead, and I went in together on a pallet of Maple Leaf lump. But like many of you, I felt like I knew him fairly well based on his activity on the forum. It's hard to believe that a guy who was so full of life is gone. He will be missed.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Please be sure to  include this tread.

To @Little Steven Yes I believe it will get there..............
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    Never met him in person, but he chimed in on a post I made a few years ago... I had tried to cook a brisket in -5* weather, fire had gone out and my BGE lid had frozen shut.  He informed me that with my timeline the way it was, the brisket may have been in the danger zone too long and was in danger of causing food poisoning and I'd be better off just throwing it out.

Later in the thread, he chimes in again and says if he were in my position, he'd finish the cook, eat some of it and vacuum seal it.  If nothing happened, he'd reheat and serve it to his family.  I wasn't as brave as he was so it got tossed, but I found it funny that he gave the sound, solid advice first and followed up by essentially saying "Well, screw it - try it and if nothing happens to you, serve it up".

Then I read about the chicken stored in his luggage and his reply to me about trying the trying the brisket kind of tied things together.

When I would see his avatar next to a new thread in this forum, I knew it would be good information.

Condolences to his family and friends.  From the posts in this thread it's obvious he will be missed.  RIP
    perfect Steven. That could have depended on how many beers he had between the first advice and the 2nd. Or if Stike was messaging him in the background telling him he was a dumbass and that meat was perfectly safe to eat :)
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Can someone on the forum that is close to Little Steven's family find out what their needs are?  Maybe a "Go Fund Me" page would be the most beneficial right away.  The video or book idea is great too.  I've seen some really nice hardcover books done from photos, but can't remember what the company is.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.