Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New User Experiencing smoky aroma and taste

Options
I don’t use any form of lighter fluid, use only the BGE charcoal and lighter chip.
How long should I wait after reaching desired temp to start cooking?

Comments

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    You really have to wait as long as the smoke smells bad or is thick and white. Once it smells good which typically means the smoke is blue or barely visible you are good to go. I use royal oak for the majority of my cooks. Sometimes it takes longer to get the good smoke. I’ve used other “higher end” lump and it usually doesn’t take as long to get to the good smoke.  I am not a lump snob though.  
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Almost every single new person on here that posts this is using the bag of BGE lump that came with their egg. It has a very smoky flavor profile to me as well. Some like it, some don’t.  Like the good captain said, you can get royal oak which is the same thing as BGE lump for far less $. And you can get it at Home Depot etc. If you don’t like smoky lump, there are more neutral alternatives out there. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    You really have to wait as long as the smoke smells bad or is thick and white. Once it smells good which typically means the smoke is blue or barely visible you are good to go. I use royal oak for the majority of my cooks. Sometimes it takes longer to get the good smoke. I’ve used other “higher end” lump and it usually doesn’t take as long to get to the good smoke.  I am not a lump snob though.  
    This.  Plan to let it burn a little while before you put anything on it, that’s what I do anyway
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    Options
    Let the BGE heat for 30-40 mins before cooking. Also switch to Rockwood charcoal if you are still unhappy. You can buy a case here. https://rockwoodcharcoal.com/
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    The other thing you mention is the "lighter chip". If that is one of those pressed wood shavings/cardboard like material you really need to wait until it is completely burned out. They really put out an acrid smoke and one can smolder for a long time. 
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I use the Weber starter cubes primarily to start my lump they’re cheap and fast 

great advice up there 

i used royal oak for years the last year I’ve been using rockwood exclusively 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Little Rock, AR

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    I always wait until there is a light blue smoke showing.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Totally understand your situation. When I started Egging in 1998, I was putting too much smoke on everything. The time it takes to get clean smoke depends on a lot of factors. Moisture in lump. Amount of lump. Amount of air flow. Method of lighting.  But the bottom line is trust your nose. If the smoke smells strong and makes your eyes burn....and you walk away and can still smell it on your upper lip...it is probably still not ready for food. It doesn't take long for the strong smoke to get on your food, and it won't go away. So trust your nose, and wait until your nose says go :)

Clean smoke to ya!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You have good info above. Welcome aboard. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Welcome to wallet genocide. The least expensive aspect of owning an egg is your initial purchase. Trust me. You will see.

The smokey rancid flavor can be mitigated by allowing your fire to burn until you see no heavy white smoke escaping from your top vent. Once that morphs over to clear or slightly bluish, you should be about where you want to be. It takes about 30 minutes.

You may also wish to try something else besides BGE Lump. I tried Rockwood, at the kind suggestions from the forum lead me to, and have not looked back. Huge difference, in my perception of flavor. Another I like, but hard to find, is Carbon del Sur. Very nice product, no acrid taste, burns very clean.

Great advice on here from several of the chefs. This is a great forum, have fun and hope this helps.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Did anyone else think this was going to be a sarcastic post after reading the subject? 

=)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • run53
    run53 Posts: 121
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I used 100% RO when I started about 5 months ago. Slower cooks had a lot of smoke flavor. Not bad but more smoke than I like. When Ace ran their sale,  I bought 8 bags of Rockwood. Used it for the first time this weekend to cook a beef tenderloin. Big difference. Hardly any smoke flavor (or maybe I am just getting used to it :-) 

Anyways, I will save the Rockwood for slow cooks or expensive cuts of meat like Prime Rib, Beef Tenderloin etc. For pizzas and searing/grilling, I will continue to use the RO. At high temps I can't really detect the smoke that much. 

Well, this is my plan anyways. Good luck
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    The nose knows.  Trust it.  Welcome!
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Uuhmmmm, that sweet aroma of plywood.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I used nothing but BGE charcoal (as someone else said, same as Royal Oak) for YEARS and loved it!  But I loved the mild smokiness that it gave everything, wood added or no wood added.  But after years of seeing people rave about Rockwood, I finally broke down and tried it, and I like it better, and that's what I use, now.  Rockwood has much less "bad" white smoke, often none at all, whereas with BGE charcoal I always had to wait a while for the white smoke to go away.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I converted to Rockwood recently after trying a few brands...BGE, Louisiana Grills, Pit Boss, Royal Smoke & I’m sold.  I’ll be using Rockwood exclusively.   Was thinking I’d use Royal Oak for clean burns but don’t know if that’s possible. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I converted to Rockwood recently after trying a few brands...BGE, Louisiana Grills, Pit Boss, Royal Smoke & I’m sold.  I’ll be using Rockwood exclusively.   Was thinking I’d use Royal Oak for clean burns but don’t know if that’s possible. 
    Absolutely possible.  I’ve used primarily Rockwood for a few years, I always keep some RO (or Wegmans brand lump, which is made by RO) on hand.  

I start the egg by putting a chimney starter on the gasser side burner, always use off brand for that.

Also use RO for clean burns, lighting the fire pit, taking camping, among others.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD