Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Rodeo for an Old Cowboy

Options
Good afternoon folks.  it's been a long time.  I return with questions.  

So I'm looking to re-enter the BGE world and am deciding between a Large and an XL. I have owned a few BGE's including two Larges at one time, which I enjoyed for the purposes of flexibility.  

My question is, how big a difference is there in fuel consumption from the Large to the XL?  And how much longer does it take to get to 350ish for regular cooking?  

I'm a fan of paying a little more for a lot more of anything. But I don't want to regret going with the XL if I don't need it.  

(and typing that makes me feel like I answered my own question, but I'd still like to hear from y'all).

Thanks, 

Todd
Egger for 15 years.  I've owned and traded them like some folks do used cars.  Recently bought an XL BGE.  #WhatIsOldIsNewAgain

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I own both and seldom ever use my large. I like the extra grilling area and often add a side dish as main meal is cooking. I would easily give up my large and keep the XL if forced.
    Time difference to get to 350 and cooking is small to none.
    The XL does hold twice the lump but no where burns twice the lump per cook. Lump in my area is not that expensive so not an issue, but I do have a Small Egg that I use regularly.  
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ReTodded
    ReTodded Posts: 11
    Options
    thanks man.  that's kind of what I was thinking too.  now I have to start making a list of all of the accessories I need again.  cast iron grid, platesetter, elevated grid, torch...
    Egger for 15 years.  I've owned and traded them like some folks do used cars.  Recently bought an XL BGE.  #WhatIsOldIsNewAgain
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought an XL instead of my 1st large. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome back.  XL.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    As a dealer and a large user, I must say, I have never had a customer come back and say “I wish I had gotten the smaller one”. Just saying. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I have a large at my house which I use a lot and an xl at a lake house which I use a lot less. The first thing I noticed was how much lump it takes to load the xl. Probably 10-12 lbs. However I don’t think I burn more per cook and if I do it’s not much more. There are times at home that I wish I had more grill space. I don’t think you’ll regret buying the xl. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    XL all day.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I only have one Egg,  but I’ll add one someday & it’ll be another XL.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    ReTodded said:
    thanks man.  that's kind of what I was thinking too.  now I have to start making a list of all of the accessories I need again.  cast iron grid, platesetter, elevated grid, torch...
    I don't have the XL but from all I know the above comments paint the true picture.  I am here to suggest that instead of a platesetter  you go with after-market toys from the Ceramic Grill Store linked here:
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-xl-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store  I am not affiliated with them however, their products are top-notch and you will not get oversold.  If in doubt about what you want, give 'em a call.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Welcome back. XL. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX