Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Over done baby back ribs

Options
bwanadon
bwanadon Posts: 6
I am a relative newbie with my large BGE. Have done St Louis style ribs twice and they were excellent. Cooked them indirect at 300 for 4 hours (no foil wrap). Yesterday I did the baby backs the same way and they were over done. My first fail on the egg! Suggestions welcome!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    @Theophan has the right approach above. Related, BB ribs will generally cook faster than St Louis spares at the same temp which is what you experienced.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    spares are better, just cook spares
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    Yeh I have overcooked a few racks along the way, especially baby backs. Basically on slow cooked pork or beef I use a toothpick now, and the bend test. After a few cooks you will get a good feel for what you are looking for. The downside is you have to check them more often.
  • bwanadon
    bwanadon Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback. I think the toothpick and bend test will be my go to now. Love my egg.
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    Of course it all depends on how you like your ribs, I like mine tender but not falling off the bone with a little bite to them. 
  • bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    Options
    beware of a certain brand where the package says "extra tender" on it whether it be baby backs or spare ribs.. it will reach desired tenderness sooner than expected
    LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • Raideregg
    Raideregg Posts: 33
    Options
    I have done several cooks like this, I would agree 4 hours uncovered at 300 degrees would be a recipe of overcook.  Try this, Cook for 2 hours at the same temp. Spritz with Apple juice every 30-40 min. Prepare heavy duty foil one sheet per rack so you can cover each rack with overlap.  One stick of butter per 3 racks, half cup of brown sugar per 3 racks, honey and cook over fire reducing the butter, brown sugar and honey down.  Pull each rack off, place on foil and paint both sides of the ribs with the butter sauce.  Wrap up with the foil and return back to the grill for 1 hour!  After the total of 3 hours, pull off the foiled ribs make sure they are flat so you don't mess up the au juis you are making within the foil.  Place the ribs flat side in a ice chest with no ice, let sit for 40-45 min, the ribs will cook inside the cooler.  Take each one out, carefully un-foil to collect the juice, pour the collected juice into a bowl. Cut with a electric knife, paint the collected juice on the ribs and enjoy! They should be perfect.  One last thing, make sure you have a pan under your cook with beer or Apple Juice.  See photos

Raideregg
    I Like Big Eggs and I can not lie!
    XXL,XL, L and MM
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    spares are better, just cook spares
    This
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky