Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Considering a Blackstone

I've looked at Blackstone's for a year and never pulled the plug on buying one.  They are all on sale now, and I'm reconsidering.  I want one to use both at home and take with us when we use our camper.  The Stainless 36 looks like the nicest of the bunch.  At home, I'll store in my garage for quick, easy meals and to keep it out of the weather.  I also like the idea of 4 burners over 2.  Is it portable enough to throw into my camper or the bed of my truck for weekend camping trips? It would prevent using the cheap stove and oven in the camper, and is much better than the outdoor stovetop.  I would consider the smaller one that is more of a tabletop griddle, but we have 3 kids.  It would take me an hour to cook enough food to feed everyone on the smaller surface.  Any input or opinions from those who have them are appreciated.  
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    I think you just talked yourself into it.  I can't speak to the portability as I built mine in to an outdoor kitchen, but otherwise you'll love it.  With 3 kids, it will change your life with pancakes alone.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     I have a 36' that I take and use remotely a few times each year. It is not too hard to handle. I leave the shelves at home when I travel with it to have a little less stuff in the truck. I have large vehicles(F150/Bronco/Suburban) so I remove the griddle top and the base can stand up in all mine. I agree that having that surface area and 4 burner control provides the best experience. I have a 28" that I intended to be the portable on that stays in it's box.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    When searching reviews here, I see that some people mention Blackstone is about to come out with new models.  I assume that's why they are all on sale now to clear out inventory.  I've also seen where they are moving the grease trough to the back to prevent whatever grease issues they currently have.  Would that be worth waiting for, and spending more money on?  

Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    I also just saw where the SS version doesn't actually have a SS cooking surface.  It seems to be the same as the other griddles.  Is it pretty easy to clean, and resistant to scratches?  I want to use this thing like a Waffle House griddle or hibachi, and expect it to get some heavy use.  
    Athens, GA
  • I haven't pulled the trigger yet, looking at Amazon and watching the video on this link, I like the new features, side table cutting board, paper towel holder, etc. odd it doesn't show them on the actual Blackstone website.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HFRNPQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B078HFRNPQ&pd_rd_wg=a0RXE&pd_rd_r=K686CFGVGMSE9W051X7J&pd_rd_w=7bHQe

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

The new rear grease trap looks like a big win to me.  The trash bag hooks and paper towel holder appear to be poorly executed.
    Phoenix 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I haven't pulled the trigger yet, looking at Amazon and watching the video on this link, I like the new features, side table cutting board, paper towel holder, etc. odd it doesn't show them on the actual Blackstone website.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HFRNPQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B078HFRNPQ&pd_rd_wg=a0RXE&pd_rd_r=K686CFGVGMSE9W051X7J&pd_rd_w=7bHQe

None of those mods are worth waiting to pay full price for IMO. The SS 36 is at a great price right now. I'd jump on it. 

Even if you only used it for breakfast on the weekends, it would be well worth it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mayberry
    One more question and I'll stop bothering everyone:  The SS version is only available online, whereas the standard 4 burner 36" can be picked up locally today.  Is the SS worth the extra money, or is it all in looks, if it's going to reside inside my garage and not be stored outside, other than when camping?  Even then, it'll be stored under my awning on my travel trailer and will be out of the rain.  
    Athens, GA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Mayberry, I wonder if the black may be a little easier to keep clean.  That makes it a winner for me.  I'm sure the ss looks better if you're willing to keep it shiny.

Phoenix 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    They legs fold in for portability. I also recommend taking the time and properly transport it. I skipped that part and kept everything intact and strapped it down with some tie down straps in the back of my truck bed. I think it's no secret that they aren't the most overbuilt griddle on the market. I bent the legs strapping it down. My fault but they do travel good if your careful with it.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Mayberry said:
    One more question and I'll stop bothering everyone:  The SS version is only available online, whereas the standard 4 burner 36" can be picked up locally today.  Is the SS worth the extra money, or is it all in looks, if it's going to reside inside my garage and not be stored outside, other than when camping?  Even then, it'll be stored under my awning on my travel trailer and will be out of the rain.  
    I keep mine in my garage and it looks like new. Mine is 18 mo old use mine 3-4 times per week.. to me ss not worth it...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Just get the one locally if you are happy with the price. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    WeberWho said:
    They legs fold in for portability. I also recommend taking the time and properly transport it. I skipped that part and kept everything intact and strapped it down with some tie down straps in the back of my truck bed. I think it's no secret that they aren't the most overbuilt griddle on the market. I bent the legs strapping it down. My fault but they do travel good if your careful with it.

Did you leave the griddle on top?
    Contemplating taking mine on the road this Summer.  Wondering if that chunk of steel getting tightened down, was the culprit.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Focker said:
    WeberWho said:

Contemplating taking mine on the road this Summer.  Wondering if that chunk of steel getting tightened down, was the culprit.
    I agree Brandon.  I transported the one @Jeremiah gave me with the griddle off.  No problems.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    Focker said:
    WeberWho said:

@Focker I took the griddle off. It made loading it into the bed much easier. Without the top on I was worried that the base would blow around. So I would snug into down with straps. Apparently too much. It doesn't take much for everything to get out of whack with that thin of steel. I was able to get everything square and true again but not without a little help from a threaded rod. I should have known better and not took any shortcuts...
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    If the SS version is cheaper on sale... then that’s the one. Unless you’re impatient. 

• Mayberry
    I was impatient.  I got the black 36" today.  I really wanted the SS one, but nowhere has them in stock without ordering. I turn 40 tomorrow, and had a crappy week.  Wanted to end it on a high note.  Had to cancel spring break trip and give up my Sunday Master's badges because I was supposed to have surgery on Tuesday.  After I gave up the badges and cancelled my trip with the family, surgery was cancelled because of a pissing contest between Blue Cross-Blue Shield and Piedmont Hospital.  So, no trip, no Master's and no surgery.  And did I mention I turn 40 tomorrow? :s

Anyway, I had a ****'s Sporting Goods coupon, so got it for $220 out the door,  and picked it up today.  Made full hibachi dinner with shrimp, scallops and chicken tonight, in addition to veggies and fried rice.  Worked great.  I think this thing is going to get a ton of use.
    Athens, GA
  • I like mine and am glad I bought one.  Enjoy yours
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • caliking
    Mayberry said:
    I was impatient.  I got the black 36" today.  I really wanted the SS one, but nowhere has them in stock without ordering. I turn 40 tomorrow, and had a crappy week.  Wanted to end it on a high note.  Had to cancel spring break trip and give up my Sunday Master's badges because I was supposed to have surgery on Tuesday.  After I gave up the badges and cancelled my trip with the family, surgery was cancelled because of a pissing contest between Blue Cross-Blue Shield and Piedmont Hospital.  So, no trip, no Master's and no surgery.  And did I mention I turn 40 tomorrow? :s

Anyway, I had a ****'s Sporting Goods coupon, so got it for $220 out the door,  and picked it up today.  Made full hibachi dinner with shrimp, scallops and chicken tonight, in addition to veggies and fried rice.  Worked great.  I think this thing is going to get a ton of use.
    I think you’re ahead of the curve. With that kind of week, you need to be drankin’ . If you’re not already. 

• Mayberry
    caliking said:
    I think you’re ahead of the curve. With that kind of week, you need to be drankin’ . If you’re not already. 
    There has been some alcohol consumed.  Get this...the surgery is for cataracts.  I'm 39 with freaking cataracts!   :o    Apparently, it's from a concussion I had a little over 5 years ago.  Real good way to make you feel older....turning 40 with cataracts.  So, yeah....there has been some "drankin" going on lately.  The thought of surgery on my eyes scares the crap out of me.  
    Athens, GA
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    I have the 36in and take it out a couple times month.  I strongly suggest getting the carry bag if you go this route.  It really makes transporting the griddle top much easier and gives it some protection.  However, my base is definitely looking worn from the constant moving.  We use the 36 a lot at home and decided to get the Blackstone Tailgater, which is on sale for $125 at Amazon.  It is much more portable than the 36.  I am adding a second griddle top which will give me slightly less cooking surface, but the weight and portability are worth the trade off.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • caliking
    Mayberry said:
    caliking said:
    There has been some alcohol consumed.  Get this...the surgery is for cataracts.  I'm 39 with freaking cataracts!   :o    Apparently, it's from a concussion I had a little over 5 years ago.  Real good way to make you feel older....turning 40 with cataracts.  So, yeah....there has been some "drankin" going on lately.  The thought of surgery on my eyes scares the crap out of me.  
    Please don't get me wrong,  I don't mean to make light of your situation, but cataract surgery is a question of optics. If it will potentially significantly improve the quality of your life, at your age, then go for it. Many folks defer such procedures out of fear, and then later regret not having done them earlier. 

My $0.02.  And I'm just a random dude on the interwebz.  

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    caliking said:
    Mayberry said:
    caliking said:
    Please don't get me wrong,  I don't mean to make light of your situation, but cataract surgery is a question of optics. If it will potentially significantly improve the quality of your life, at your age, then go for it. Many folks defer such procedures out of fear, and then later regret not having done them earlier. 

A random dude with a medical degree.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • WeberWho
    Here's a video on the new 36" Blackstone 

https://youtu.be/JQDbemStvMc

Minnesota
  • caliking
    DMW said:
    caliking said:
    Mayberry said:
    caliking said:

A random dude with a medical degree.
    Yes, but remember which end I'm on. Midway between the peepers and toenails...

• caliking
    WeberWho said:
    Here's a video on the new 36" Blackstone 

https://youtu.be/JQDbemStvMc
    Meh.

Except for the discount code. 

Otherwise... meh. 

• Mayberry
    Even though I didn't get the stainless base, I love this thing.  It's truly impressive.  We did breakfast for dinner (brinner) last night for my birthday dinner.  Fried eggs, scrambled cheese eggs, steak, bacon, hash browns and cinnamon raisin toast. All done quickly, and the griddle was cleaned up in under 1 minute.  Tonight, before kid's baseball games, I used the leftover steak from last night and made steak fajitas.  Tasted great, was done in a few minutes and the griddle was, again, cleaned up in a minute or two.  For anyone considering getting one while they are on sale, I say go for it.  Maybe the new version has a few added extras, but this one is near perfect.  Very adjustable heat, no real hotspots, and cooks really well.  The drain issue is easily solved with a large screw down the hole to route the grease drippings into the drip pan.  Otherwise, it works perfectly with no modifications.  Really glad I bought one.  
    Athens, GA
  • WeberWho
    Mayberry said:
    Even though I didn't get the stainless base, I love this thing.  It's truly impressive.  We did breakfast for dinner (brinner) last night for my birthday dinner.  Fried eggs, scrambled cheese eggs, steak, bacon, hash browns and cinnamon raisin toast. All done quickly, and the griddle was cleaned up in under 1 minute.  Tonight, before kid's baseball games, I used the leftover steak from last night and made steak fajitas.  Tasted great, was done in a few minutes and the griddle was, again, cleaned up in a minute or two.  For anyone considering getting one while they are on sale, I say go for it.  Maybe the new version has a few added extras, but this one is near perfect.  Very adjustable heat, no real hotspots, and cooks really well.  The drain issue is easily solved with a large screw down the hole to route the grease drippings into the drip pan.  Otherwise, it works perfectly with no modifications.  Really glad I bought one.  
    Happy B-Day!

Minnesota
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Between our Egg and black stone about the only thing we use the kitchen for now is cleaning dishes and making coffee in the morning!! Congrats on the blackstone purchase
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Would people go with 28 or the 17 inch?