Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Considering a Blackstone

Options

Comments

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Just made a prototype 36" cover for a Blackstone. 28" version may be done later today
  • RandyC
    RandyC Posts: 24
    Options
    Can someone tell me where they are on sale? I'm a cheap SOB and when I say on sale I mean really on sale. I have seen past threads where some people got these things for like $100.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Just made a prototype 36" cover for a Blackstone. 28" version may be done later today
    nice job. been wanting to make one for my 17 just to make cheese melting easier
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BulletGrillHouse
    Options
    RandyC said:
    Can someone tell me where they are on sale? I'm a cheap SOB and when I say on sale I mean really on sale. I have seen past threads where some people got these things for like $100.
    Wait for the clearance sales in the fall
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Tspud1 said:

Message me your size. I made mine a little longer to cover the front drain. Blackstone and other after market does not. Also made a little taller to close
    cover the gap between plate and griddle body.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    Would people go with 28 or the 17 inch? 
    I went with the 22".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Tspud1 said:

Message me your size. I made mine a little longer to cover the front drain. Blackstone and other after market does not. Also made a little taller to close
    cover the gap between plate and griddle body.
    i am going to make mine different just waiting for a job with extra stock. its going to pivot in the back so i can quickly drop it for cheese melting. the sides on the 17 are curved on top so im going to follow those lines
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Tspud1
    edited April 2018
    Options
    as small as the cooking surface of the 17, that should work well. Here is the 28 cover
  • NautiGrillers
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Miked125 said:
    I went with the 22".
    I'm considering the 22" myself. What are your thoughts on it?
    MM, L, XL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    RandyC said:
    If you are a cheap SOB.....you should find another hobby or website.  ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    RandyC said:
    The 28” was on sale at Walmart for $100 a year or so back. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Miked125 said:
    I went with the 22".
    Good size for me. I wanted something that I could stick in the deck box when not in use so that eliminated the 28 & 36. The 17 seemed rather small (since I had a cast iron griddle that was about that same size) so I kept going back and forth on whether to get one. When they came out with the 22 I quickly grabbed one.

Most of the time I'm only cooking for 2, infrequently for 4, and it has plenty of room for my needs. If I was cooking for  a big crowd I can see the advantages of the 36 or even the 28. Now tho, if I felt I needed more room I would just buy another 22. :)

I like the grease trap in the back - easy to remove and clean. Didn't really like the grease hole in the 17 as I imagined that filling up with chopped onions, cabbage and the like.

Mine does seem tricky to light at times. If I just give the knobs a quick turn and hear the click of the igniter it's 50/50 if there will be actual flame. What I found is that if I turn the knob just enough to start to let gas flow and then pause for a second before continuing to turn to get the click of the igniter it will have flame every time. No big deal but it did cause some head scratching for a while.

On the other hand, with the 17 on sale at about half the price and the 28 on sale at about the same price as the 22 I can see that might make the decision harder. Since it appears that the 22 is no longer exclusive to the Home Shopping Network I'm guessing that we will eventually see sale prices on the 22 also.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    as small as the cooking surface of the 17, that should work well. Here is the 28 cover
    Nice work on both.  My brother is getting me some 1/4" diamond plate dirt cheap at his work.  But mine are just the top, and I'll add handles on top.  Wish I had welding skills.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    edited April 2018
    Options
    RandyC said:
    My buddy showed pics of sending his son out to pick up 4 36" Blackstones for $150, and he picked up 4 of the 28"ers for $75 each.  Truckbeds full. Lol

Between his family and friends, he moved them all, and kept one.  This was SD.  I found my 28 and 36 in IA, same prices.  Happy hunting this Fall!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    I picked up the stainless for $250 the other day off Amazon.  Best price i’ve seen in awhile, so I bit. 
  • Focker
    Options
    nlovold said:
    I picked up the stainless for $250 the other day off Amazon.  Best price i’ve seen in awhile, so I bit. 
    Saw that at Field and Stream the other day, good price.  It's worth $300 all day.  Anything under that is a win.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    I'm going to need you to re-prototype that and make me one, too.  :-)
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • NautiGrillers
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Miked125 said:
    I went with the 22".
    Good size for me. I wanted something that I could stick in the deck box when not in use so that eliminated the 28 & 36. The 17 seemed rather small (since I had a cast iron griddle that was about that same size) so I kept going back and forth on whether to get one. When they came out with the 22 I quickly grabbed one.

Most of the time I'm only cooking for 2, infrequently for 4, and it has plenty of room for my needs. If I was cooking for  a big crowd I can see the advantages of the 36 or even the 28. Now tho, if I felt I needed more room I would just buy another 22. :)

I like the grease trap in the back - easy to remove and clean. Didn't really like the grease hole in the 17 as I imagined that filling up with chopped onions, cabbage and the like.

Mine does seem tricky to light at times. If I just give the knobs a quick turn and hear the click of the igniter it's 50/50 if there will be actual flame. What I found is that if I turn the knob just enough to start to let gas flow and then pause for a second before continuing to turn to get the click of the igniter it will have flame every time. No big deal but it did cause some head scratching for a while.

On the other hand, with the 17 on sale at about half the price and the 28 on sale at about the same price as the 22 I can see that might make the decision harder. Since it appears that the 22 is no longer exclusive to the Home Shopping Network I'm guessing that we will eventually see sale prices on the 22 also.
    Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm pretty limited on space so I think 22 is as large as I'd like to go and the 17 just seems a bit too small. Think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 22. I have the Little Griddle Kettle-Q, which I really like, but the ease of just firing up the Blackstone sometimes sounds like a good option.
    MM, L, XL
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    Tspud1 said:
    I'm going to need you to re-prototype that and make me one, too.  :-)

Just did one for

Ozzie_Isaac

• Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Tspud, do you have a cost for the 36?
  • mjfutures
    mjfutures Posts: 53
    Options
    wow, you guys have had me looking at blackstones all day.. didn't even know i needed one haha. the 22" would fit nice on my Egg table... the big one looks nice though..
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Just got an email from Amazon that they have the Blackstone 28" for $125.  Thinking I should pull the trigger this time.

Blackstone 28 inch Outdoor Flat Top Gas Grill Griddle Station - 2-burner - Propane Fueled - Restaurant Grade - Professional Quality

Amazon's ChoiceWhy we love this product

List Price:$224.99 
    Price:$125.00 
    FREE Shipping (3 days) for Prime members Details
    You Save:$99.99 (44%

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Tspud1
    Options
    mjfutures said:
    wow, you guys have had me looking at blackstones all day.. didn't even know i needed one haha. the 22" would fit nice on my Egg table... the big one looks nice though..
    The 28" looks nice in a table
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    If I didn't already have one, I'd be all over that. The 17" is a workhorse.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Couldn't agree more @DMW...  I just need to get that adaptor that connects to a 20 lb propane tank.  

Signal Mountain, TN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @DMW What kind of burner does the 17" have? Can you lift the griddle off and set a pot on it? I'm assuming it has one burner. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    caliking said:
    @DMW What kind of burner does the 17" have? Can you lift the griddle off and set a pot on it? I'm assuming it has one burner. 
    It's got an H shaped burner.  The griddle does come off, but there's nothing there to set a pot on other than the burner tube.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • HeavyG
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    caliking said:
    It's got an H shaped burner.  The griddle does come off, but there's nothing there to set a pot on other than the burner tube.
    Could probably find a grill grate of suitable size to sit on top of the griddle frame if one wanted to use a pot.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    TN_Egger said:
    caliking said:
    Could probably find a grill grate of suitable size to sit on top of the griddle frame if one wanted to use a pot.
    Probably the case. My 17" is packed up and put away for a few hours. If I remember, I'll get it out tomorrow and take some pics. I have a few grill grates around here...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker