Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chimney cap vs Daisy wheel

Options
Curious if the chimney cap is worth the expense?  It has mostly good reviews on Amazon but several bad reviews , some saying it gets gummed up with grease (which the daisy wheel does too) and the most concerning one says that with the bottom vent and chimney cap wide open the guy can’t get his Egg above 400 degrees .  The main appeal to me is that I can cook in the rain and leave the vent open some when not in use to keep mold away .  

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    It was worth it to me. I hated the daisy wheel + ceramic cap combo. 

And re: the guy who cant hit temps >400°F with it wide open... its not because of the chimney cap. 

If you don't need it urgently, Smokeware usually has some sales throughout the year. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Never heard of it 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I live in the south and it fixed my mold problem and rain problem. 

And @caliking hit the nail on the head. The guy who can’t hit 400 with one shouldn’t be allowed to play with matches. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Should be standard issue imo.  Function + looks
    Phoenix 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    It depends how much you use your daisy wheel. I only use my daisy wheel for low and slow cooks. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me. If you use daisy wheel I could see the added benefit 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    To extinguish a fire in your BGE, by raining, while using a daisy wheel, that would have to be one heck of a storm.

I have done L and S cooks through many heavy or long rain storms, and have yet to have my fire extinguished by precipitation.

The type of rain storm it would take to extinguish the fire in your egg would likely be biblical in scope.

I seriously doubt the smokewear cap could possibly keep anyone from reaching 400F, if ran wide open. The poor fellow complaning likely went nuke with his bge and his thermometer broke.

I have daisy wheels on mine. I also use a Smobot. I really like the Smobot. The caps are cool, and functional. All the folks, I know, that have them, love them.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have one on all my eggs but the Mini and I like them the best part for me is the look and the fact that when opening the egg the setting wont change. The daisy can change if the screw is off center.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    I recently purchased a Smokeware cap from CGS. After a dozen or so cooks, I think it's well worth the $40. It's much more precise than the DW. It shuts the fire down completely in half the time. It doesn't move when you open the egg. I like it.

YukonRon is probably right about the amount of rain it would take to extinguish a fire through a DW, but I feel a lot better now that nothing is getting on the bark of a brisket or butt ten hours in. 

As for the dude that can't get above 400.....I think the problem lies elsewhere. When I was first testing/playing with this cap, I got to 700, with the windows fully open, pretty quickly before I started dialing it back.

Hope this helped.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    I got the Smokeware and it does work well esp for low and slow. Definitely better in the rain. I do use daisy wheel making pizza I have had trouble getting temps over 400-450 with it. When you open the vent a bit it takes some getting used to to remember that there are two openings and that you're letting in twice as much air. It does seem to attract more grease than the daisy wheel, I clean it like every month, it never gets fully clean. having said all that I do like it. We worth the $40
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Had mine for a couple of years now. It's never been off my egg since the day I put it on. I've never cleaned it. It gets a little sticky to move around sometimes, but the heat from a cook clears that right up. Never had a problem getting high temperatures with it at all. Like it way better than the DFMT.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have one on my Large and Small, love them.  They clean right up  with some oven cleaner if you desire the shiny like new look.  I clean them a few times a year...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I can get to about 600 (large egg) with the smokeware cap on and wide open, but the top of the cap does come off easily if you need to go higher than that.

I've never had a problem with mine gumming up with grease, and I never clean it.  I'm a fan.
    NOLA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I have a first gen one, the grease helped it seal better.  No issues, prefer it to the daisy, but that’s just my preference.
  • deanb1234
    deanb1234 Posts: 16
    Options
    I've used one for about 2 years.  Mainly during rain storms.  I am so familiar with the daisy wheel and what positions I need it for certain temps that I haven't taken the time memorize it on the Smokeware cap, as silly as that may sound.  But when I do use it I have no problems with low or high temps.  Beat my expectations.
    Georgetown, KY.  XL BGE, Akorn Jr, Grillgrates, Smokeware Cap, & Kick Ash Basket.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I love mine. No problem getting > 400º.  Or I just remove it entirely.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I'm glad that I bought one. Works great during rainstorms (we DO get rain in biblical proportions in southern Colorado). Ditto for frequent hail storms.

500 degrees is about the highest temp I can get with the cap on. No problem. Simply remove the cap and bring on the pizza!
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options
    Appreciate the insight . I think I will get one soon. 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• Steve76
    Steve76 Posts: 60
    Options
    Have one on my LBGE and love it! Precise control during a low and slow, when it gets gummed up, just throw it in the dishwasher.... Haven't used the daisy wheel in a long time. 
    Lutz, FL (next to the swamp), LBGE, Pizza stone, Egg Handler, Flame boss 300, Thermapen, Kick Ash basket &  Webber Summit for odds and ends and short, or "honey do", cooks!  
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I love mine, just remove the top if you want high heat.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Smokeware cap here.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    I have both but prefer the daisy wheel when trying to maintain a tight 225°.  I was using the CyberQ but recently changed over to the FlameBoss 300.  With both units the daisy wheel held a more consistent 225° for the overnight cooks.

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I hated the daisy wheel.  The Smokeware cap is wonderful!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    Options
    ^^^this.
    The Dumb Focking Metal Top is obsolete.
    It's like using a Blackberry, now.

Smokeware for life.
    Anything over 350, the top comes off and I control from the bottom.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    My FlameBoss 300 likes the Smokeware cap.  Much easier to control temps, as it's more precise.  And it doesn't change setting when you open and close the dome!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Smokeware cap here. I am able to dial in any temp I have needed.  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    The only time I use the daisy wheel is low and slows, otherwise I run nekked. Not knocking those that love their Smokeware caps but the daisy wheel works fine for me. I have thrown money at other toys however.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE