Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-PIEROGIES

Options
Did 3 types of pierogies. Stuffed banana pepper.  12 peppers 1.5 cups each of mozzarella and parmesan 1.5 pounds of cream cheese and garlic to taste.  Reuben pierogies  homemade thousand island kraut corned beef swiss and caraway seed. Mushroom garlic goat and marcapone cheese pierogies. Fried the mushrooms no butter or oil 16 ounces of marcapone 12 ounces of goat cheese and garlic to taste.  Followed a Pittsburgh pierogies receipe for the dough but substituted chip dip for the sour cream.  Everyone loved them.  Made about 8 dozen split between my family and my in laws.  Used a pasta roller to help achieve an even dough . No boil just fried in butter. Thanks for looking. 
South Buffalo, New York

Comments

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Sounds and looks great minus the kraut and goat cheese 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Now you're talkin'!   Awesome!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Fancy! Well browned. The best shop in town recommends bacon fat instead of butter, but their fillings are simpler.

Oh, and happy Dyngus day!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I didn't grow up with pierogies, but was introduced to them by people from Russia and Eastern Europe in my church, and a bit to my surprise I've come to really love them!  Yours look and sound great!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Looks great
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    Love me some Pierogis!  West Side Market in Cleveland has some great pierogi vendors.  Try get some every year.  I’ve tried making them myself but have always been disappointed with the results.  Yours look and sound fantastic!  Love goat cheese. 
    XL  Central Ohio
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Around here all the pierogies are stuffed with potatoes, which sounds really blech to me.  They're sold in the Irish pubs, didn't know they were also from E Europe/Russia.
    Yours sound soooooo much better!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Botch said:
    Around here all the pierogies are stuffed with potatoes, which sounds really blech to me.  They're sold in the Irish pubs, didn't know they were also from E Europe/Russia.
    Yours sound soooooo much better!  
    Pierogies do make a good bar food, but I'm a little puzzled by them being in Irish pubs. Hopefully they are fried, not boiled.

'Tater pierogies are a standard, but the filling should be more like a puree w lots of butter, and maybe some cheese. Usually, they are pillows for toppings of caramelized onions and sour cream.

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I don't remember who but at North Ga Eggfest 3 or 4 years ago someone brought Pierogies and grilled them at the "after party" Saturday night.  They were great off of the egg!

@BUFFALOMOOSE Nice looking fixin's!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options

Looks awesome

Must be a regional thing, but they can be found anywhere around me. Usually potato and cheese, but sauerkraut/pork and even blueberry are common. All the local legions sell them, and most bars have a deep fried version. My grandma used to make them  on holidays which I always looked forward to. My mom makes them every now and then, but they are labor intensive. I try to convince her to make up an extra few dozen every Christmas, but its a tough sell. I even bought her a pasta machine to roll the dough, but still its a once a year treat. They sell them frozen at the supermarkets, but like anything else once you have home made the pre-made stuff just doesn't cut it.

• PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    poster said:

Looks awesome

Must be a regional thing, but they can be found anywhere around me. Usually potato and cheese, but sauerkraut/pork and even blueberry are common. All the local legions sell them, and most bars have a deep fried version. My grandma used to make them  on holidays which I always looked forward to. My mom makes them every now and then, but they are labor intensive. I try to convince her to make up an extra few dozen every Christmas, but its a tough sell. I even bought her a pasta machine to roll the dough, but still its a once a year treat. They sell them frozen at the supermarkets, but like anything else once you have home made the pre-made stuff just doesn't cut it.

If making them for just a few people it really is a lot of work. When it comes down to “I’m gonna make ‘em...” then you make a bunch.
    My wife is from Pa and introduced me to them after we married, kraut and pork as well as the potatoes and cheese. Love em.
    Those look awesome.
    Gotta try to talk her into making some soon.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Those look awesome. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Thanks for all the compliments folks.  They are very labor intensive but worth it .  Would definitely help with an assembly line approach and a couple extra hands. Unfortunately everyone was busy. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Sweet!  Loved the filling selection you chose. I made them a couple weeks ago as you may have seen in THIS thread.

I'd agree that for such a simple recipe, it all took longer than I thought.  The results were worth it and I also found that they froze well.

I boiled first and then pan fried in butter.  I liked it that way.  Plus the boiled ones were then easy to freeze as they were fully consolidated/cooked, but knew they'd be better for the 2nd cook.

What recipe did you use for the dough?

LBGE/Maryland
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    @KiterTodd I used 4 cups flour 2 eggs 1/2 cup sour cream 1/2 cup chip dip 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup butter.  More of a pastry receipe than a pasta one but the dough is super tender .  I also rolled the dough very thin so boiling them was not needed .
    South Buffalo, New York
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks awesome brother Moose. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Thanks @SGH. Was very happy how they turned out. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Thanks @SGH
    My pleasure brother Moose. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.