Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse searing vs forward searing

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I’ve got tender juicy steaks down to a science with Reverse searing on the BGE. They come out so good this way that I rarely use any other method. Last night Wifey and I wanted some steaks but my workspace was rather muddy by the egg so went back to another alternative method I used indoors with the cast iron pan - forward searing. I get the pan smokin hot with a little oil, brown up the ribeyes real good and finish in the oven for 5-10 minutes depending on thickness. Both methods I like the steaks sit out for an hour or so. However when I forward sear indoors the steaks always seem to come out tough even if they are medium rare. Does anyone else experience this?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    with the forward sear they come out more tender if you rest between the sear and the roast. i give them a good 20 to 30 minute rest in between. salt, rest, sear, pepper or rub and rest, roast, finish with a little more salt while they rest some more
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    I've actually reverse seared indoors by putting the steaks in the oven until they reach 120 IT.  Then dropped them in the hot CI on the stove top.  They turn out well, i think the oven time softens them up.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    We are true believers in forward searing.  We feel like we have much more control over the final temperature.  As an example, we attended the BBQ Brethren Bash in Texas this past weekend.  There was a new member that generously brought 3 of the most beautiful tomahawk ribeyes I've ever seen.  He asked Bruce, my husband, to show him how to reverse sear, so he did.  They were delicious, but, to us, not nearly as perfectly cooked (medium rare) as they would have been if we forward seared, with a probe inside to bring up to temp in indirect cooking.  I've never, ever had a tough steak this way. But, alas, to each his own.  I know we are in the minority here.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Forward sear can be challenging to pull off on the BGE. Especially if you like nuclear temps for the sear. I've done it but it probably takes longer end-to-end than reverse sear. Most APL recipes call for a forward sear so I've been cooking his stuff and doing it that way.

I've found that forward searing gives a high chance of nailing final temp as you are finishing at a lower and slower moving temp. 
    Mountain View, CA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Forward sear is more traditional approach, so some do it out of "that's how I learned to to it".  Forward sear is easier to nail the final internal center temp.  Reverse sear can get you a better edge to edge even doneness level.  Both results are very good, reverse sear can be a bit better if you can get it exact, but forward will be easier to consistently get a good result.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    Powak said:
    I’ve got tender juicy steaks down to a science with Reverse searing on the BGE. They come out so good this way that I rarely use any other method. Last night Wifey and I wanted some steaks but my workspace was rather muddy by the egg so went back to another alternative method I used indoors with the cast iron pan - forward searing. I get the pan smokin hot with a little oil, brown up the ribeyes real good and finish in the oven for 5-10 minutes depending on thickness. Both methods I like the steaks sit out for an hour or so. However when I forward sear indoors the steaks always seem to come out tough even if they are medium rare. Does anyone else experience this?
    Starting a forward sear with colder steaks should help.  If it takes only 5-10 minutes to finish, either the oven is too hot, you left them in the hot cast iron pan, or the steaks were too thin to really get a benefit from two heat cooking. Try putting the steaks in the freezer for an hour instead of on the counter next time.

There is no reason not to reverse sear indoors.  Use the same procedure you have perfected outdoors.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    1) There is no “right” answer on this. A lot of variables come into play. 

2) I think it was either @JohnInCarolina or  @bgebrent that told me once it really had to do with cut, thickness, and quality of the steaks. So it’s a bit of a loaded question. 

3) you can always cheat and use the Sous Vide, cast iron, clarifies butter, and a torch. 

4) My ultimate advice is find the way your wife likes it best and keep perfecting that. Guests leave, kids move out, forum members come and go...but she will be the one who decides how long to wait before calling 911 when the red meat catches up with you. Happy wife, happy life and all.  ;);)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Powak
    Options
    Powak said:
    Starting a forward sear with colder steaks should help.  If it takes only 5-10 minutes to finish, either the oven is too hot, you left them in the hot cast iron pan, or the steaks were too thin to really get a benefit from two heat cooking. Try putting the steaks in the freezer for an hour instead of on the counter next time.

There is no reason not to reverse sear indoors.  Use the same procedure you have perfected outdoors.
    That’s what I did wrong for forward searing. I had my steak well close to room temp instead of colder. I’ll have to try it again with colder steaks. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    EggObsessed said:
    I know we are in the minority here.
    Sister, you may be in the minority, but you are certainly not alone. I prefer the forward sear myself. On smaller things, it’s either or for me. However, as the cuts get larger and thicker, this is where the forward sear starts to really pull away in my opinion. 
    But as you already said above, to each their own. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    Powak said:
    Powak said:

That’s what I did wrong for forward searing. I had my steak well close to room temp instead of colder. I’ll have to try it again with colder steaks. 
    You can even start with frozen.  Sear while frozen and then finish slowly.  Take a bit longer than if thawed, but it works.

Southeast Florida - LBGE

• Powak
    Options
    Theophan said:
    We are true believers in forward searing.  We feel like we have much more control over the final temperature...
    I was the same way, went for YEARS almost with a chip on my shoulder (I don't mean you do -- just talking about myself) about it.  It just seemed so obvious to me that if you cook to the final temperature slowly, you'll have more control, I just thought people who did reverse sear must not be thinking clearly.  Boy was I wrong!

THEN I finally tried a reverse sear, and I felt like a fool for not trying it sooner.  The BGE takes so very long to cool down from a really hot searing temperature to a good low-and-slow temperature that it's just a pain.  And I've found that if I crank the searing temp on the reverse sear up to 600°-650°, I can get a good sear in just 1 minute on each side!  Given that the steak cools a little bit, especially on the outside, in the relatively few minutes it takes to crank the fire up to sear, 1 minute on each side just plain will NOT overcook the steak.  Here's the last one I took pictures of. I think that's a really good sear, and very little gray meat:

Now that’s what I’m talkin about!
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    4) My ultimate advice is find the way your wife likes it best and keep perfecting that. Guests leave, kids move out, forum members come and go...but she will be the one who decides how long to wait before calling 911 when the red meat catches up with you. Happy wife, happy life and all.  ;);)
    SWMBO agrees with your sage advice, my friend. :)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SWMBO agrees with your sage advice, my friend. :)
    As she should.  Beautiful cook.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SGH said:
    EggObsessed said:
    I know we are in the minority here.
    Sister, you may be in the minority, but you are certainly not alone. I prefer the forward sear myself. On smaller things, it’s either or for me. However, as the cuts get larger and thicker, this is where the forward sear starts to really pull away in my opinion. 
    But as you already said above, to each their own. 
    I'm opposite this, especially as the cut gets thicker. I'd like to know your reasoning. Biggest reason I prefer reverse sear is due to the edge to edge doneness and lack of a need to temp the meat - it's already done and I'm just cooking for color, about 90 secs total per side.