Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some recognition for doing what we love :)

Options
A local publication came out to one of our classes recently, and wrote some nice stuff about doing what we love. Cooking on the EGG. Just thought y'all might enjoy the article. Except for the comment on "briquettes", it is not bad. :)

Cheers!
Chris
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Wow!  Nice long article and great pics!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Nice write up, Chris. 

See y'all May 5th.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Nothing like free advertising, huh, Chris!!! One other correction besides the "briquettes" error was calling your wonderful Raging River as being new!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nice article! Gotta wonder how many of those PolarFleece pullovers Chris goes through. I had one I really liked, but made the mistake of lighting my egg while wearing it! Burn marks everywhere!

Chris, if your fish friends go thru Richmond on their way back from the OBX, you could meet 'em there, maybe have lunch at Tuffy Stone's Glen Allen place. =) Looks like it's about a mile out of their way (off 295) and only 90 miles from Manassas. Beats your hike to Blacksburg!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That's the best write up you will ever get from a non BBQ person.
    Great story!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Very nice article Chris! Congrats!! See you at DizzyFest

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Well-deserved.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    Great article and reminds me I need to put in another Dizzy Pig order!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I think free Pineapple Head for the forum is in celebrator order....just kidding. Congrats on the article. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Nice article. Talk to me about the salmon. I've never tried taking skin off pre-cook. Do you have it on a plank?
    Mountain View, CA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Well I made my order for Peruvian. I made the quinoa recipe using it, adding chopped kale. Pretty good.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Thanks y'all. @RRP yeah, I that is another discrepancy. But I am so used to articles that don't quite get their facts straight :)@Carolina Q  Man, I go through a lot of clothes. Just talked to Tuffy the other day and would be up for a visit to Richmond. Let's get it in the works. @northGAcock Pineapple Head is a really cool story, and it's become more popular than I imagined. @dmourati No planks. It's grilled salmon. Brown in good on both sides over a direct fire. Glaze it and eat :) Easy peasy.

@Gulfcoastguy Nice! I am still trying to get used to quinoa, and it gets big points for being so good for you :)

Egg on :)
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Nice write up!

I was intrigued when it said at the top of the article that he got his salmon from southwest VA. I've lived in VA (and spent much time in Blacksburg) for 40+ years - never knew we had salmon in the hills of VA.

Later in the article it mentions he gets the salmon from some friends in Blacksburg that hit the Outer Banks each week and brings back the salmon with them.

I've been visiting the Outer Banks for 40+ years. Have fished, surfed, kayaked, camped, sailed, owned property there over the years. Not once have I, nor has anyone that I know, ever caught a salmon.

Next time I head down to the Outer Banks I'm going to be on the lookout  for salmon.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Great article... thanks for sharing!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Nature Boy
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @HeavyG LOL. Yeah I can see the confusion on the way that was written. The Rockfish I cooked did indeed come in on a boat from the Outer Banks, but that is not part of the story. They pick up local fish coming in to the OBX, but also have access to suppliers that bring in fresh stuff from all over the place. They are pros at picking the right stuff.  I would not recommend you driving to the Outer Banks to find Salmon. Leave it up to the fish ladies :) 

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Is that @Susan Egglaine from the old forum? Haven't seen her around here in forever.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Nature Boy
    Options
     Yes!! I was trying to think of her "handle", but that is her. She is around! Come up to the DC BBQ Battle this summer. We'll be there. Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Is that @Susan Egglaine from the old forum? Haven't seen her around here in forever.
    I had assumed that as well from years ago when she would be an occasional member on Chris's award winning team. Besides that I had communicated with her after she had posted one of a kind laser cut metal backs for their outdoor bar stools, plus a cool hanging sign as I recall.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Very cool piece, Chris!  Love your products too man!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Great article Chris! Your Maple Butter Salmon is my wife’s absolute favorite. 
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @Nature Boy I live in Richmond and would love to host a happy hour at my house for you Chris and friends. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @HeavyG yep, I was tracking right with your comments and then noticed the last fish picture definitely wasn't salmon so I guessed that was the one from OBX. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    I'm lucky as the fish ladies live in my county. I drive all of five miles to get the freshest seafood around.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va