Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry smoked mutton leg with huckleberry and cinnamon glaze

Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
I really like mutton, it's got a superb meaty texture and flavour, sort of halfway between beef and lamb. I thought that it might go quite nicely with a sweet sauce/glaze, and we had some huckleberry jam and syrup left over, so I made a glaze with them. And voila - a bloody tasty glazed joint of meat with a pouring sauce at the end. Recipe here:

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2018/03/27/mutton-leg-with-huckleberry-glaze/

No plated shots, too busy eating it. But here's a few of it cooking:

Glaze applied:

Salt and pepper before cooking:

After 90 mins of cherry smoking:

Close-up of the cross hatched glaze:

Thanks for looking!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Looks and sounds wonderful!  Got any sliced photos?  How do you cook leg of mutton?  Medium rare?
  • Stormbringer
    Theophan said:
    Looks and sounds wonderful!  Got any sliced photos?  How do you cook leg of mutton?  Medium rare?
    Thanks bud. Sadly no plated/sliced pictures, I was too busy eating it. The leg was cooked slow n slow at 250F to IT 160F, so medium finish. Full details in the blog post linked above.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited March 2018
    Buddy, that looks amazing. I really want to see some sliced photos if you have them!

edit...sorry, just reading the other posts now. Shame on you for no plated/sliced photos.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    You’re killing it! Bravo!
  • Stormbringer
    @Theophan / @Photo Egg both SWMBO and I really enjoyed this dish, so I will definitely be cooking this again. We have enough huckleberry syrup and jam left for at least one more round, so I'll take some carved and plated shots then :D.

In the meantime, this is a carved shot from the first mutton leg I roasted, which had a Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub:

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    GORGEOUS!!!  I won't know whether I like mutton till I get to try some, I guess, but I have a feeling I'd like it.  I may have to see if I can find a lamb producer in my area who might be willing to supply some mutton.

Thanks for the photos!
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Wowza!  Never tried mutton before (don't think I've had the opportunity), but after seeing these pictures I definitely want to try it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Your glaze game is on point.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for sharing. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    No plated shots, too busy eating it. 

This ^^^^^^ times a million. I firmly believe that gustation should definitely take precedence over photos. For grabbing the fork and saying fukk the camera, I proudly give you the DSOA my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    I really like mutton

I do too my friend. It’s honestly one of my personal favorites. 

Status- Standing by.

• Stormbringer
    Cheers @SGH. Where do you source your mutton from? Maybe some of the interested parties above could use the info.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    SGH said:
    No plated shots, too busy eating it. 

This ^^^^^^ times a million. I firmly believe that gustation should definitely take precedence over photos. For grabbing the fork and saying fukk the camera, I proudly give you the DSOA my friend. 

Can say no more.  Great cook.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga