Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Texas Bombing Suspect DRT - OT

Options
GATraveller
GATraveller Posts: 8,207
Best news I've heard all week.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-blast/suspected-texas-bomber-kills-self-as-police-close-in-officials-idUSKBN1GX0YG

Thank God for these brave men and women in law enforcement that continually place themselves in harms way to make the rest of us a little bit safer.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
Peachtree Corners, GA

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Could not agree more!
    Killing innocent people with a bomb is beyond sick and cowardly.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    The back story is going to be interesting. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    The back story is going to be interesting. 
    ^^^^^agreed^^^^^
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,686
    Options
    Thank god......to me, this and the DC sniper are far more scarier stories than the school shootings, airline bombings, etc.  Not to downplay the horror of either of those, but they are contained, over fairly quick, with the terrorist dead or easily identified.  These were random--and if you have guy that covers his tracks well, extremely hard to trace.  Luckily, this guy was caught on video at the FedEx store, and possibly other places, allowing himself to get caught.

I was surprised how little media coverage this got.  Granted I don't watch TV, but I didn't see a blip about it until the 4th or 5th bomb went off.  Then yesterday after the school shooting in the NH, that quickly got the lead story.  It was more like they were trying to shield people from the hysteria that came with DC sniper.  Those two guys shutdown the mid-Atlantic for a week.  Schools were out, people didn't go to work, the store, the gas station, etc.  Imagine a well-trained pair of guys like that in a dozen major cities......it would bring this country to it's knees in no time.  Scary stuff.

Will be waiting to hear the back story.......
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    just glad he is dead. already know how to make a bomb from watching the backstories of other bombings.......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    He be gone......best outcome for all. Hope the injured officer will be OK. No need to keep this in the news with a long trial etc. Just glad it comes to an appropriate end. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I live in Austin, and you can imagine the coverage was non stop.  My office was close to the fourth bombing, and closed for the day. I think the response on closing down the city was about to ramp up(speculation).  Glad it's over! I'm grateful it didn't last longer as was the fear of us all - we thought this would take more time to figure out.  I don't give a crap about motivation, I'm too agnsty to think we'll change based on his motivations anyway. Dead, no trial needed, really good police work.  

P.S.  Austin police have a good relationship in the community.  Problems, yes.  Acknowledged, yes.  
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Don't buy all ingredients at same time or from same store......check

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    This has to be devastating to his family - they are victims as well in this.  I cannot comprehend what that must be like.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Don't buy all ingredients at same time or from same store......check
    We better keep an eye on you. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Lets thank the news for spreading the story on the ins and outs of how he was caught so the next idiot can be smarter.
    I agree, they are so thoughtful that way.....it is sad to know the Bean Counters in the Media count on stuff like this
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Photo Egg said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Lets thank the news for spreading the story on the ins and outs of how he was caught so the next idiot can be smarter.
    I agree, they are so thoughtful that way.....it is sad to know the Bean Counters in the Media count on stuff like this
    I guess it's no better than law enforcement giving out the information to the media. I'm sure they want to reinforce, to the community, all the hard work they did to catch the bomber. And they should be proud of the work they did. But sometimes you just have to know you did a good and not tell everyone about it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Wonder what the kid's homeschooling curriculum consisted of...
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    GrillSgt said:
    So if you have an issue here I would think it should be with the police department that informed the press of the details. 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Into gymnastics.......hmmmmm

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Photo Egg said:
    GrillSgt said:
    So if you have an issue here I would think it should be with the police department that informed the press of the details. 
    Agree, see my post above.
    But the media should also use good judgement but that will never happen. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Good judgment in what? So if the police have a press conference you put blame on the media for reporting what was said. Or was this just a general condemnation of the MSM?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Shhh, first rule of AR15 club is don’t talk about AR15s.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Wait, I thought bombers killed people, not the news for providing tips for how to best accomplish.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lkapigian
    edited March 2018
    Options
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Wait, I thought bombers killed people, not the news for providing tips for how to best accomplish.
    True, the news only provides unbiased information. Ha Ha.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I was curious about the chemistry and technology used, but only heard "commonly available household materials". 

However, it was reported that something called the internet exists where one can learn everything from how to macrame infant socks to construct a hydrogen bomb.

No secrets on how he got caught.  I don't think it was a high resolution satellite, but rather regular old investigative forensics, video, internet logs, phone tap, etc.   Anyone that watches crime shows on TEE-VEE already knows the game.
    Options
    I was curious about the chemistry and technology used, but only heard "commonly available household materials". 

However, it was reported that something called the internet exists where one can learn everything from how to macrame infant socks to construct a hydrogen bomb.

No secrets on how he got caught.  I don't think it was a high resolution satellite, but rather regular old investigative forensics, video, internet logs, phone tap, etc.   Anyone that watches crime shows on TEE-VEE already knows the game.
    if columbine happened when i was a kid, there would have been a propane tank shortage in my neighborhood....BOOOM  =) thanks channel 5. i would have just watched the news, darn that looks easy
    fukahwee maine

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Flint, Michigan
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    I’m having trouble with the fact that some in here are calling on the MSM to censor the police. 
  • GATraveller
    Options

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I’m having trouble with the fact that some in here are calling on the MSM to censor the police. 
    whats being said is that the police need to be more restrained and that sometimes the msm needs to use common sense ;)    that second part is impossible =)  there is no talk of censorship of the police
    fukahwee maine

• GATraveller
    Options
    With a 24 hour news cycle and the race for headlines there will never be restraint.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA