Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tikka Masala Pork Belly Burnt Ends (in tamarind glaze)

Options
I decided to try something a bit different this weekend.

Used the Malcolm Reed method, but inspired by chicken tikka masala. 

So, dry brined the belly, and then tossed in made-up  rub with the following (measurements approximate): 4 tsp turmeric, 2 tsp each curry, ground coriander, ground cumin, and 1 tsp ground fenugreek.  Here is what they looked like:

Then onto the Egg at 250 with wild cherry for smoke for a couple of hours:

Then into the pan with butter and brown sugar, covered and back on for a couple of hours, then glazed with tamarind chutney (sweet/sour/tart), and here is the end result:

Overall, a fun cook, great texture and very delicious with tons of flavour.  Unfortunately, it was just too sweet to be a true success.  I would do something like it but definitely no brown sugar!
Toronto ON

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Wow!  Cool idea.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Shazam! I like the way you think :)

If I may make a suggestion, for the next round, try 1tsp turmeric and 1/2 tsp fenugreek? 

Turmeric usually plays a supporting role and so is used less than say coriander or cumin. Fenugreek is more like a cameo... Used sparingly. 

And I love the idea of the tamarind chutney glaze. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This is an awesome thread, thanks for posting, I have learned so much
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Thanks, it is fun to experiment.  I do not regret it. @caliking appreciate the input. Agreed on the turmeric, I use it in the real thing more for the colour than anything else and as for the fenugreek I certainly stayed (I won’t say erred since it did not overpower) on the smaller side of my approximate tsp.  But it was barely there in the end result.

I will do something similar at some point soon but the main difference would be to cut down on the sweet considerably and instead of glazing have the tamarind chutney as a sauce/dipping option rather than a glaze.  I use the same product as a glaze on wings with Raging River DP rub and it is amazing, but too sweet with this one.

I also think I will try something similar next time with chicken wings or thighs rather than pork belly.  Not because I won’t do the belly again, to be clear. Cheers!
    Toronto ON
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

If I may make a suggestion, for the next round, try 1tsp turmeric and 1/2 tsp fenugreek? 

Turmeric usually plays a supporting role and so is used less than say coriander or cumin. Fenugreek is more like a cameo... Used sparingly. 

What the hell do you know? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    Options
    @simcan, I think the sugar in the chutney plus the added brown sugar likely made it too sweet. Nixing the brown sugar, or using tamarind concentrate (look for Tamicon in the Indian stores), will likely help. 

I still dig this idea though.  Nice out-of-the-box cook.

• caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

What the hell do you know? 
    Just spitballing a bit :smiley: