Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Eggplant Parmesan

Started this post last night but didn’t finish. Eggplant Parmesan has become a regular favorite recently. Being a Lenten Friday, we needed a good no-meat meal. My beautiful wife wisely suggested I try cooking it on the Egg since we were all hanging out in the back yard enjoying the nice warm weather. I think it actually turned out better than in the oven since there is a lot of steam/moisture that cooks out of the eggplant and I think it was able to crisp up better in the Egg. There were no leftovers. Sorry for the rather dark pics. 

XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX

Comments

• Looks good. What temp and how long did you do them?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Very cool - you cooked the breaded eggplant in the egg instead of frying - right?
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
     Very nice!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Thanks! I’m going to have to give this a try. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Very Nice !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited March 2018
    That looks great. We love Egged plant parm. In the summer we make tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes on the egg just for eggplant parm and it is always a big hit. It's one of the only totally non meat meals I eat. We also use the excess sauce on a side of pasta.
  • camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    I like the looks of that. Nice job.
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    That looks awesome. Wonder how that would work with an Alfredo sauce. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Holy heck, I would eat the heck out of that!  Being 100% Italian, it is mandatory that I try this recipe this weekend.  Great idea to bake the slices...saves me from cleaning the stovetop after all that frying!
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Thanks guys.

@chuckytheegghead and @Legume here is the recipe, it is super easy.

2 eggplants, peeled and sliced into about 3/4" or 1/2" slices.  (side note, some recipes suggest salting the eggplant slices and letting sit for a half hour, then rinsing.  Supposed to remove some bitterness.  I've done it with and without this step and couldn't tell a difference, so I haven't been doing the pre-salt.)

Breading consists of about 1/2 cup grated parmesan and maybe a cup or more (I don't measure this) of italian breadcrumbs, along with some salt and pepper.  Sometimes I add garlic powder or some DP Mediterranean-ish.

Dip the eggplant in beaten eggs (3 is about right), then breading, and place on sheet pans.  Bake at 375 indirect for 25 minutes, then flip and bake another 25 minutes.

Once your breaded eggplants are nice and brown, take a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (we've been using Bertolli tomato & basil) and spread a little on the bottom of a casserole dish.  Layer of eggplant, mozzarella & parmesan cheese, then another layer of sauce, eggplant, and top with the rest of the sauce and more cheese as you desire.  Bake another 30-40 min at 400 until bubbly golden brown and you can't wait any longer.

Awesome recipe!!! Food looks amazing, thanks for sharing.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    @northGAcock “Bill Murray “ gif come to mind
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    @northGAcock “Bill Murray “ gif come to mind
    on it Pete....

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Very nice! I don't even bother to bread it if I'm using the grill. I just char it like a good steak. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave