Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

911 on Cutco knives.

Options
Guys, I’m out of town and my wife is at the local Spring Gardening show. They’re trying to sell her a set. I’m all for buying a nice set but this seems too pricey. Any thoughts? Other options??

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I really like knives. But there are many on this forum way sicker than me.
    But I strongly feel 3-4 hundred dollars will buy you 3 different types of great kitchen knives. Another hundred will get you a very nice set of steak knives.
    I don't believe expensive butcher block sets.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    I own some cutco. I'd pass. Much better options out there for the price point 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Photo Egg
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I have the Cutco cheese knife and it's great. But yes, as a whole, I would not drop cash on a set.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    Thank you! I just got off the phone with her and talked her down...we will look to see what other options might be out there. She has used Cutco before and likes them and knows that they stand behind their warranty. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Thank you! I just got off the phone with her and talked her down...we will look to see what other options might be out there. She has used Cutco before and likes them and knows that they stand behind their warranty. 
    If my wife cooked for me every night and wanted to drop 2 grand on a set of knives I would pay for express shipping.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jonnysouth
    Options
    Ha, ha!! That’s why I’m not even upset about it...my wife and daughter were just wanting to do something nice for me and surprise me. I don’t deserve them but sure am glad they love me!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    edited March 2018
    Options
    We own a nice set of 5 CUTCOs which  meant a set of HD kitchen scizzors and a storage rack were thrown in with the 5 knifes. We bought them about 30+ years ago to help a neighbor boy who was a sophomore in college. I think we choked up but paid him like $200...but we knew he was on commission so we let it slide. 

About a week later my wife told me of her fear of sharp knifes. I said something like "well SH*T" why didn't you tell me earlier and we could have just given the kid $40!

To this very night I'm the only one of us who uses them and I have taken extremely good care of them. Personally with their white handles (my wife's choice) and their chrome-like highly polished metal they are more for show! My advice is be selective and figure what good knifes the two of you will use and then shop around on line. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Man with that $300 discount you should get all they have. A deal like that probably won’t come around until the next Home and Garden show. They probably have a limit on how many she could buy but maybe she could have a few friends come down and get several sets :)

C’mon man
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Jonnysouth
    Options
    I quickly got on Cutcos website while she was still talking to the guy and the website had the same marketing price...the guy was going to throw in a free ice cream scoop, peeler and like 2 other things...a deal too good to pass on but boy am I glad they let me know what they were thinking of doing!! That’s a down payment on a car!!
  • bosco0633
    bosco0633 Posts: 383
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have a set of Henckels that I enjoy, however, last year I got into the japanese knife game.... and I can honestly say they are a game changer.  

With that said.... sets are totally overrated.  You really need two maybe three knives to get going.  A good chef knife, a utility knife and a paring knife. Thats it.  

If you are looking for a good commercial Japanese set, you can buy the three mentioned above in a set of Shun Premier or even a miyabi.  These are both really good production run J knives.  

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/shun-premier-3-piece-knife-starter-set/
    I have upgraded to hand forged blades from a blade smith by the name of Takeda.  I have four so far, and just about to pull the pin on purchasing a new Masakagi Koishi 240mm AS Gyuto.  I want a work horse and this blade looks to fit the bill.  

here are my Knives in my Japanese set so far

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    At 1/10th the price point. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Options
    I’ve had cutco since the early eighties and love them. Send them in for sharpening and they’ll repair or replace for free if any issues.
  • larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Options
    Oh I forgot, they’re made in the good ol USA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You can buy a lot of Japanese steel for two grand. 

And they don’t peddle their wares at a home show. That should be your red flag. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    I agree with the no need for the set deal- @bosco0633 has it right.  That said, I own several Cutco pieces with SWMO traveling the same (help the college kid) road as @RRP.  They stand behind their warranty and as advertised will sharpen or replace any you send to them for service.  
    That said, there are better out there (I also have a mixed bag of other single pieces) however, if you acquiesce to SWMBO for the individual pieces you may end up in a win-win.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    We got this set when it was around $135. We’ve had them for about 2 years and they are still as sharp as the day we got them. Trust me I cut my finger tips when washing them all the time. 

https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Contemporary-Self-Sharpening-15-piece-Technology/dp/B06Y12QKNS/ref=pd_sbs_79_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06Y12QKNS&pd_rd_r=4GFTQG4FYYQWD4XRCA1Y&pd_rd_w=N5rNT&pd_rd_wg=udocV&psc=1&refRID=4GFTQG4FYYQWD4XRCA1Y
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    I buy Cutco off of craigslist if its something I need. And at the same price point as a used egg, no more than 50% of cost. Always send them back for a few bucks and come back brand new. 
  • Jonnysouth
    Options
    Excellent feedback guys! Appreciate all the tips and links. @SmokeyPitt...I suggest you buy a very small set!! My wife LOL when I read her your comment!! She is very grateful for all the comments as well. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Personally I'm not impressed with any of their knives.  One - Three high quality knives are all that's needed. 80%+ of all knife work can be accomplished with a chef's knife. 
    Our opinions have been given.
    Here are some Chef's take on Cutco cutlery.
    https://cheftalk.com/threads/chefs-i-need-your-honest-opinion-about-cutco.80882/
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Glad you talked her down. The price is, ahem, ridiculous. As far as the steel goes, Cutco blades are not well regarded. There's a reason they are serrated like a saw, and have a life-time sharpening warranty.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL