Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crab Cakes - smash burger style

Options
Eggucator
Eggucator Posts: 226
edited March 2018 in EggHead Forum

These were really good on a bed of baby arugula with a spicy tarter sauce and a squeeze of lemon.  I smashed them on my homemade steel for LBE.   

LBGE
Zionsville, IN

Comments

• tymaier
    tymaier Posts: 93
    Options
    Man this looks tasty right now....
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Wow, those are gorgeous!  Belongs in a magazine!
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Wowsers. That is some nice work there. Bravo!
    Stillwater, MN
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sweet work 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Great work!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Crushed it
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    No, no, no, no, no!  Thou shalt disturb the texture of the crab as little as possible - no more than that needed to bind the cake!  No smashing!  Goodness, gracious!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    No mention of an egg but clearly there is one lol.....Can't think of much that doesn't get better with a fried egg lol
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    IHT
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No, no, no, no, no!  Thou shalt disturb the texture of the crab as little as possible - no more than that needed to bind the cake!  No smashing!  Goodness, gracious!
    Whyzzat? It's not the smashing. I just can't figure out why anyone would plop an egg down on top of a crab cake. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    We get crab cakes at a restaurant in Melbourne FL that are called Crab Cakes Benedicts and they are the Bomb!!!!! So much better the regular Eggs Benedicts.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    You mailed it brother!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Very Well Played!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Looks awesome. 

I know there are people in both camps and being from a landlocked state I shouldn’t have a vote...but I love a GOOD crispy crab cake as much as light fluffy ones. The Egg was a solid choice. 

@Jupiter Jim we had some when working on disaster relief in Jacksonville. It was a win. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Looks awesome. 

I know there are people in both camps and being from a landlocked state I shouldn’t have a vote...but I love a GOOD crispy crab cake as much as light fluffy ones. The Egg was a solid choice. 

@Jupiter Jim we had some when working on disaster relief in Jacksonville. It was a win. 
    I like Crab Cakes any way they are cooked......... :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Eggucator
    Options
    We have done them every which way.  I actually really liked the crispy edges and the small amount of time they were on the grill left so much flavor from the crab.    Loved your commandment style quote so much, I went back to your profile to see all your crabcake posts.  Left me wanting more...
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • Eggucator
    Options
    Whyzzat? It's not the smashing. I just can't figure out why anyone would plop an egg down on top of a crab cake. =)
    I would put an egg on about everything I cook.  SO GOOD!
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • Eggucator
    Options
    We get crab cakes at a restaurant in Melbourne FL that are called Crab Cakes Benedicts and they are the Bomb!!!!! So much better the regular Eggs Benedicts.
    We were in Cape Cod recently and had them in the style you described and they were smashed down a touch.  They were the best I had so we decided to replicate.  We went with a spicy tartar sauce though as opposed to the hollandaise. 
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Eggucator said:
    We have done them every which way.  I actually really liked the crispy edges and the small amount of time they were on the grill left so much flavor from the crab.    Loved your commandment style quote so much, I went back to your profile to see all your crabcake posts.  Left me wanting more...
    I do love the egg on top, but ‘round here (top of the Chesapeake) the best crab cakes are those with the freshest lump crab, with just enough binder to hold it together, without a lot of added flavors - pinch of Old Bay, dried mustard, drips of Worcestershire.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE