Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off topic Starbucks sous vide egg bite

Options

Comments

• Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Options
    Has anyone compared cooking methods, SV vs IP?
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Was planning on testing this out this morning but woke up to no electricity...  maybe I’ll have power back and try again for lunch.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Turned out pretty good. Would have liked the egg to be a little more set though. 

Oh my. Those look really good. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    caliking said:
    Turned out pretty good. Would have liked the egg to be a little more set though. 

That is just sexy lookin Cali!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:

Oh my. Those look really good. 
    They were. Perfect size to grab and go on a weekday. I passed on Eggslut the last time I was in Vegas, because the time spent in line would have cut into day drinking. 

Besides, garlic cheese grits beat mashed taters any damn day. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I had my first mw reheated bites today.  Maybe I'm making this up in my head, but they tasted better today reheated than yesterday fresh out of the sv.
    Phoenix 
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options

Just got done making my first run of these! We will see how they turned out.

Brandon - Ohio

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    They sure look good
  • caliking
    Options
    Took another shot at these. 

Blended 6 eggs, 1/4 cup of cotija cheese, 3 Thai chiles, 1/2 tsp of Slap Ya Mama White Pepper blend, 1/4 cup cilantro, 3/4 cup half and half, some roasted garlic. 

Crumbled 1/2 of a cumin, garlic, onion, and cheddar corn stick into each 4oz mason jar. 

SV at 165F x 30mins. 

Tried one one with a dab of Lingham’s Hot Sauce

Pretty damn good.

The crumbled cornbread floated to the top. Turned out creamy and custardy, with a warm spicy flavor.

And I have a quick breakfast for the next few days :)

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Alright, my turn to mess with this.  I found exactly one jar with a lid, so I made...one.  Decided to copy Cali’s gritslut, so I made grits for the first time.  Stirred butter, garlic and cheese in once cooked.  Mixed some Valentina’s brisket into the grits, topped with more brisket and then cracked an egg.  Hot tub at 155 for 45 min or so.  Loooks right, will reheat in the bath tomorrow.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I like these things - glad I tried them.  However, I'm not sure how often I'll make them in the future.  The blackstone is a pretty quick breakfast machine.  Next I'll be trying the choc pots or caramel pots.
    Phoenix 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    blasting said:

I like these things - glad I tried them.  However, I'm not sure how often I'll make them in the future.  The blackstone is a pretty quick breakfast machine.  Next I'll be trying the choc pots or caramel pots.
    Do that. Now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I’m considering doing this for an ultimate team that has a tournament tomorrow AM.

Need suggestions for the process - make them tonight, remove from jars, into ziplock bags in the fridge and then a morning reheat in the water bath?  Reheat on a sheet pan in the oven (maybe a little broil), foil individually and go?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Took another shot at these. 

Blended 6 eggs, 1/4 cup of cotija cheese, 3 Thai chiles, 1/2 tsp of Slap Ya Mama White Pepper blend, 1/4 cup cilantro, 3/4 cup half and half, some roasted garlic. 

Crumbled 1/2 of a cumin, garlic, onion, and cheddar corn stick into each 4oz mason jar. 

SV at 165F x 30mins. 

Tried one one with a dab of Lingham’s Hot Sauce

Pretty damn good.

The crumbled cornbread floated to the top. Turned out creamy and custardy, with a warm spicy flavor.

And I have a quick breakfast for the next few days :)
    WTF? That looks crazy. How did you even think of all this $hit.????
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    @caliking those look freakin delish
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    to reheat I throw 2 in the microwave for one minute while I turn the broiler on. Then out of the microwave and onto a piece of foil, cheese on top then under the broiler for a minute. Quick and easy. 
  • caliking
    Options
    WTF? That looks crazy. How did you even think of all this $hit.????
    It sort of started with having to  finish some cotija cheese in the fridge. I need to make them more eggy though, so less cream in the next batch. May even leave it out altogether.

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    @caliking Your ability to be creative and have success is astonishing! Good Work!

I've been working on egg bites since this thread was started, and have varied results, with great success today.

I followed the Anova recipe to start. 175 for an hour. First batch was actually 90min because I didn't hear the alarm go off, but there was no difference between that batch and the second batch that was in for an hour. Used cream cheese, and instead of gruyere(couldn't find it) I used mild cheddar, and used bacon and sausage for a meat. Tasted just ok, and the texture was not good, they were tough. 

Third batch I switched to heavy whipping cream for one hour @ 175. Same results texture wise, but the flavor was awful, and I only ate 3/6 of them.

Fourth batch was with cottage cheese. I don't like cottage cheese, at all. But I took one for the team and tried it anyway. Everything else was the same except cottage cheese. Texture was still tough, and the flavor was pretty good.

Today I did two batches and overhauled everything. One batch was 1/2 &1/2, one batch was eggs only, both had gruyere cheese and no meat. Checked them at 30min and they were runny. Checked at 45 min, not runny but not quite set. At 1 hour, they were set and firming up. I thought it was good texture and moisture level, very easy eat. The 1/2 and 1/2 were much better than eggs only, and were the best I've had overall. Probably stick with 1/2 and 1/2 in the future. Might try other cheeses, gruyere is hard to to find and kind of spendy.

I really like these things. Easy to whip and, and easy for me to eat at lunch. 
  • caliking
    Options
    Thanks for the compliment, @Cashfan. I'm embarrassed to admit how much of it was spurred on by wanting to use up stuff I had before it spoiled. 

How much half and half did you use? I meant to add 3oz to mine (1TBSP per egg) but goofed and added 6oz instead. Mine turned out creamier than I would have liked, so I will probably try again with less half and half, or none at all. 

I microwave mine for 30 secs or so for breakfast during the week, so it may not be a bad thing if they are not as set as you like when you pull them out.

So far, I have actually liked my gritslut concoction more. Probably because I love poached eggs more than I do omelets.

• Cashfan
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thanks for the compliment, @Cashfan. I'm embarrassed to admit how much of it was spurred on by wanting to use up stuff I had before it spoiled. 

How much half and half did you use? I meant to add 3oz to mine (1TBSP per egg) but goofed and added 6oz instead. Mine turned out creamier than I would have liked, so I will probably try again with less half and half, or none at all. 

I microwave mine for 30 secs or so for breakfast during the week, so it may not be a bad thing if they are not as set as you like when you pull them out.

So far, I have actually liked my gritslut concoction more. Probably because I love poached eggs more than I do omelets.
    From Anova:
    Ingredients for 6
    6 eggs
    1/2 Cup Gruyere
    1/4 Cup 1/2 & 1/2 (my mod instead of cream cheese)
    1/4 Teaspoon salt
    3 slices bacon

Thats what I made today, without the bacon. Vitamix it then into the jars. 

I want them fully cooked because I eat lunch in my van, so no access to warming up food. They are good cold!!

Those gritsluts looked great. Care to share the recipe?
  • caliking
    Options
    @cashfan no real recipe for the gritsluts. Kinda winged it.

I had leftover garlic cheese grits ( 1 cup grits, 1/4 cup sharp cheddar, 1 TBSP garlic, some butter I think). From John Currence's Big Bad Breakfast. 

Pack 1/4 cup of the grits down in a 4oz mason jar. Crack an egg into each jar. SV at 147F x 1hr.  Chill and refrigerate. Microwave for 30 secs for breakfast. Done. 

• Cashfan
    Options
    caliking said:
    @cashfan no real recipe for the gritsluts. Kinda winged it.

I had leftover garlic cheese grits ( 1 cup grits, 1/4 cup sharp cheddar, 1 TBSP garlic, some butter I think). From John Currence's Big Bad Breakfast. 

Pack 1/4 cup of the grits down in a 4oz mason jar. Crack an egg into each jar. SV at 147F x 1hr.  Chill and refrigerate. Microwave for 30 secs for breakfast. Done. 

Thanks! 

I might substitute hash browns for grits.

Also picked up a cheddar and gruyere mix cheese that will try the time around.
  • Gravytrain84
    Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
    edited March 2018
    Options
    For those who have used cream cheese in their eggs, how was it? How much did you use? I used heavy cream last time and it wasn’t great. 
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    For those who have used cream cheese in their eggs, how was it? How much did you use? I used heavy cream last time and it wasn’t great. 
    I’ve never tried cream cheese but I put some soft goats cheese in my egg bites this morning and loved it.
  • Cashfan
    Options
    Cream cheese wasn't too bad, but it had an off taste. It was substantially better than heavy cream.

Cottage cheese was good, but 1/2&1/2 was the best for me. I also did eggs only, and that was pretty good. I posted the recipe I used a few posts ago.
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    1/2 heavy and 1/2 cottage? That’s what I Have in the water right now. 
  • Cashfan
    Options
    No, Half and Half Cream. Sorry, I should have been more specific.
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    Cashfan said:
    Ah ok. Well I’ll try that next time. The half cottage half heavy is pretty good. Definitely better than strait heavy. 

• Cashfan
    Options
    Cashfan said:
    Ah ok. Well I’ll try that next time. The half cottage half heavy is pretty good. Definitely better than strait heavy. 

Those look great!!
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I made some tonight, finally. 6 jars with bacon and gruyere, and 6 jars with chorizo, cheddar, and some rotel drained. 

I think the chorizo ones changed my life, i want to eat them all

both batches had a couple ounces of cream cheese in them. Cooked 175 for an hour

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)