Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smashburgers for 30ish? Gathering Ideas.

Options
oldgeezeystax
oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
Hiya Gang!  

In less than a month my wife and I will be hosting 30ish to celebrating my daughters first trip around the sun.  I'm planning to cook something and I generally default to pork butts when cooking for a gang but I'm thinking smashburgers on the BS could be a nice change.  My question is, do you think smashburgers are doable for 30ish if I prep the patties ahead of time?  How many patties would you prep?  I'm thinking 4 per male, 2 per female figuring on 2 patties for each burger and guys eating 2 and girls eating 1.  What sides?

If this turns out to be too much i'm happy to toss 2 butts on instead...
Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    I have done a large number like that- prep is key for sure, have everything done but the meat- have yours tools ready to go, have PLENTY of paper towels, water and oil in a squirt bottle- Your Grease trap will overflow so have a back up plan on that .....I did Bacon and caramelized onions well in advance as well as lettuce etc- have your cheese ready with the slices alternating so they are easy to grab, your BS will cool rather quickly so I broke the cook up in 1/2 the grill then the other half to allow for recovery- My 2 cents
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Definitely going to be more work than a couple butts on the egg but probably worth the effort. lkapigian nailed it with prepping the toppings beforehand along with the patties. I'd also find a partner in crime. (This helps a ton) One person can put the patties on and help with cheese while the other is the dedicated flipper/smasher. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,764
    Options
    let the cheese come to room temp, place the lower bunn on a sheet pan, place cheese on lower bunn, place sizzling hot burger on top of cheese, it melts, its quick and easier and faster than melting cheese on the griddle.  people wont know why you did it, its unamerican but good. i like my smash burgers cooked on a dry griddle, grease wiped off before adding more. i usually go for the easier cook like pulled pork, burgers for a crowd is like feeding the russian army =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    A helper is a good idea.  by the time you get your last ball on, it is time to smash.  Keep your smashing device well lubricated and hot.  It will start to let the balls of beef stick to it as it cools.  Messing with parchment paper in between smashing device and burger is not fun.  By the time the smashing is done. . . and sometimes before. . . the first burger you smashed needs to be flipped.  It is a lot of fun, but speed and organization is key.  Wear an apron.  Grease will be flyin'
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI