Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gochujang glazed ribs

Options
blind99
blind99 Posts: 4,971

I had smoky, spicy wings in mind for awhile.  I got to the store yesterday, and babybacks were on sale for 2.50/lb, so I called an audible.  I really wasn't sure how the sauces would turn out, so I made two versions.  Both got simmered to help things mix in, and had xanthan gum whisked in at the end to stabilize and thicken.  (Xanthan is good stuff but be careful - if you use too much it makes a consistency like snot)

1 - spicier?:   1 1/2 cup water, 3 tbs gochujang, 1 tbs brown sugar, 1/4 tsp xanthan gum

2 - sweeter?:   1 cup water, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 4 tbs brown sugar, 1 tsp gochujang, 1/4 tsp xanthan gum

I cut the ribs up to maximize area, and tossed them in a Ziploc with some of the sauce.  then they got cooked indirect, with some heavy smoke, and extra sauce glazed on.  final dome temp was about 300, to give them a bit of char.  both turned out delicious, but the spicier one wasn't spicy enough.  It could have taken more saucing during the cook, I think.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'll take a plate of the spicy ones please.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I had to google gochujang.  Sounds like something right up my ally though.  Good looking ribs.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    These would make it spicey enough
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Looking good from here!

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Bookmarked! I have xanthan and gochujang. Love the idea of pre slicing to maximise exposure, especially if the ribs are too meaty. However our ribs are usually less meaty so I may cut them into 2-bone pieces. Thanks for sharing.
    canuckland
  • blind99
    Options

@woodchunk dear lord, those look dangerous all the way from here

@canugghead let us know if you try it and how the glaze turns out... I want to keep working on this one

@saluki2007 you should get some, it's good stuff - more importantly your signature reminds me, is there an egghead bracket this year?

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I have not seen one yet.  I don't remember who set it up last year either.  Guess being the champ I should get one setup.  I'll try and get one tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Those look outstanding!

if you want spicier, try adding some gochugaru. The flavor is more complex than just adding cayenne, and should go well with the glaze. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blind99
    Options

@saluki2007 I found the thread - looks like @ibanda set it up last year

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1204182/ot-march-madness-basketball-bracket-challenge/p1

13 pages long, most of which is @bgebrent and @johnincarolina taunting each other.  (par for the course, really)

• blind99
    Options

@caliking awesome, thanks for the rec.  I don't have that one.... looks like it's time for another trip to Super H Mart. There's definitely room to improve this glaze - if you took a crack at it you'd probably nail it.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Those look absolutely SPECTACTULAR!  Wow -- great job!

I've never HEARD of using xanthin gum in BBQ.  I can picture it thickening a sauce, but what happens when the sauce goes on the ribs and then gets "set" in the smoker?  Usually, with a non-xanthan-thickened sauce, whatever sauce you brushed on gets thicker, even dries, on the ribs.  What happens to xanthin gum on the actual final product?  Very curious.

Thanks!
  • tymaier
    tymaier Posts: 93
    Options
    Goodness these look amazing. Curious what your cook time was since you cut them individually?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    blind99 said:

@caliking awesome, thanks for the rec.  I don't have that one.... looks like it's time for another trip to Super H Mart. There's definitely room to improve this glaze - if you took a crack at it you'd probably nail it.

I don't know - those ribs look hard to beat. 

Super H will definitely have gochugaru. And more kinds of fresh kimchi than you can shake a stick at. Love that place. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Gawjus ribs right there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    I don normally like the Korrean stuff but that looks really good!
  • blind99
    Options
    tymaier said:
    Goodness these look amazing. Curious what your cook time was since you cut them individually?
    A little over an hour. I started lower, with heavy smoke, and let the cooker come up to temp. Final temp was between 300 and 350. Gotta keep an eye on them towards the end - the brown sugar starts to char and the thinner ribs finish quicker. 

@theophan still a work in progress. I’m looking for the perfect “lacquer” finish but haven’t gotten there yet. The xanthan gum works really well. But if you go too thick it’s not good. 

@northGAcock thanks! I saved a few for ya

@FlyOverCountry I’m not picky, I’ll eat almost anything. I like that Korean food can have sweet, spicy, and fermented flavors. Doubt any Korean would mistake my food for real Korean food!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    blind99 said:

@saluki2007 I found the thread - looks like @ibanda set it up last year

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1204182/ot-march-madness-basketball-bracket-challenge/p1

13 pages long, most of which is @bgebrent and @johnincarolina taunting each other.  (par for the course, really)

Thanks for that. The passion never subsides. And, @JohnInCarolina is only a troll.  ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is a recipe I like with the Korean chile paste:
    Chicken, Thighs, Skewered, Dakkochi, Korean, Florida Mini Fest '14

Dakkochi is a Korean street food. Skewered chicken cooked over charcoal.  Did this for the Florida Mini Fest 2014.

INGREDIENT:
    5 Lbs Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
    MARINADE:
    4 Tbs gochujang
    ½ cup sake
    3 cloves garlic (grated)
    2-3 Tbs Ginger, Grated, Fresh
    1/2 small onion (grated)
    1/2 Asian or Bartlett pear (grated)
    2/3 cup soy sauce
    1 Tbs sesame oil
    1 Tbs brown sugar
    1/2 Bunch Scallions, green onions (chopped)
    BASTING SAUCE
    3 Tbs tomato ketchup
    6 Tbs Sake
    3 Tbs chilli flakes
    3 Tbs gochujang
    6 Tbs soy sauce
    4 Tbs brown sugar
    2 Tbs sesame seeds
    1 Tbs parsley
    3 Tbs Indian River Rainbow Pepper, (regular course ground black will do).
    2-3 Tbs Sesame oil.
    Garnish:
    White Sesame Seeds
    Scallions, diced into 1/8" pieces.

PROCEDURE:

1. Took 5 #'s (18 thigh pieces) of Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into apprx 1" pieces and placed in marinade in refrigerator overnight.

2. Yield was 26- 6" sticks of 4-5 pieces each. Could have added onion pieces or other , bell pepper pieces. cherry tomatoes or whatever you may want to do.

3. Cooked on BGE 350F until internal temp was 165F-170
    F. One batch was indirect and took 25 minues or so.  The other batch was direct and took less time.  Turned and basted every 5-10 minutes.

4. Served as an appetizer with toothpicks, but could just as easily do with veggies/rice for a main meal.

Recipe Type: Appetizer, Main Dish, Poultry

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2014/11/01**
    Web Page: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195502

Author Notes
    A batch of basting sauce did about 10-15 sticks, depending on how often and how much.

Gochujang is a savory and pungent fermented Korean condiment made from red chili, glutinous rice, fermented soybeans and salt. Traditionally, it has been naturally fermented over years in large earthen pots outdoors, more often on an elevated stone platform, called jangdokdae  in the backyard.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180764/wow-this-is-some-recipe#latest

Richard Fl--I would use less of the chile paste until you get used to the HEAT.

• blind99
    Options
    @Richard Fl many thanks - i'll be borrowing some of those flavors for sure
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I can VERY enthusiastically recommend that recipe @Richard Fl offered because when he posted it a few years ago, I made it at his recommendation, and WOW that stuff is GOOD!!!

I only just now realized, though, that I followed the original recipe that he posted then, as he just did above, too, and they're a little different, notably 4 Tb of gochujang vs 1 Tb.  I bet the higher dose is great, too, but I haven't tried it.  All I can say is that the recipe as on the BBQ Brethren Forum is AMAZING.  I'll have to try @Richard Fl's tweaks, sometime -- they're probably great!